“Missing the point” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #160 of 363 Hotels in Amsterdam
Lisburn, United Kingdom
“Missing the point”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

I stayed in the Hampshire Hotel on Rembrandt square for a 5 night visit late November early December. The room was very spacious, biggest I've stayed in, in 4 visits to Amsterdam, and decorated in a modern feel. The bed was not only comfortable but huge. While our room had very little natural light or a view it was pleasant and comfortable. The staff were, if a bit jumpy, very helpful. The location was excellent, a stone throw from Rembrandt square, which even when jumping on a Saturday night we could hear nothing from the room.

Unfortunately there were a few things that really ruined this stay.

The first was the tv, which had 3 English channels BBC2, BBC world news and euro news. Luckily it also had a radio channel, which while not in English, played many English songs and sufficed as background noise while we were in the room.

The 2nd issue was the bathroom, this had some funky modern frosted glass door, which looked nice but did nothing to dampen sound. We were also confused that there was on extractor fan in the bathroom, this made the room particularly uncomfortable after a couple of showers.

3rd the massive bed was actually 2 singles pushed together. While it was comfortable, we either had the choice of both squeezing onto 1 bed or lying each on a separate bed like we had booked a twin room.

The final issue was the lack of cleanliness, marks on the floor, balls of hair soap stains around the sink in the bathroom. I understand the hotel is undergoing a refurbishment at the moment (trust me I could hear them on the floor above) but at the price being paid I expected my room to be at the very least clean.

When I raised these issues at reception I was essential fobbed off nicely.

This hotel could be good, but just needs to concentrate on some of the details that it has very obviously missed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Steve S
Thomas h, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your remarks and observations.
We will inform our departments about these matters.

The management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Smyrna, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Rembrant Square is choc full of bars, resteraunts, and nightlife. The city is fairly walkable so you're not really far from anything. Redlight and Jordaan are probably the only two major sights that are 15 - 20 minutes away by walking.

Rooms were fine for my wife and I. Bathrooms were nice. Only thing I didn't like was having 2 twin beds pushed together. Which I found wasn't so unusual when we left here to go to Germany.

For the price I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor, but had a view of the interior allyway. I don't know if any of the ro...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for your nice review.
We hope to welcome you again next time in our hotel.

Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

As the hotel is well located for IDFA (International Documentary Festival Amsterdam) events, our delegation stayed at the hotel for the 2nd year. We took 19 rooms single occupancy and I was glad that the WiFi had been substantially upgraded since last year as that really was a problem in 2012. Unfortunately it seems they have got worse than ever at servicing the rooms. While my colleague and I were apparently upgraded to an "Executive Room", both rooms 394 and 494 were really dirty.

On my arrival in the room, there was a dirty unwashed spoon and mug sitting as if they were clean for use, and the carpets in both rooms were really dirty. Room 394, which my colleague was in, stank horribly… I have no idea how he managed to sleep in it. I called down to reception, and they sent a rather rude man, with two clean cups. To my shock he never offered to take the dirty one!

However the worst thing was how dirty the floors were in both rooms (see pics). When on the 3rd night I got back to an un-made bed, and everything as I left it, I called the duty manager (Joroen), he apologised, and came by as I was about to shower with a voucher for two drinks (house whine, soft drink or beer only), and the cleaning lady did come round soon thereafter. I pointed to the dirty carpets, and she said: "Yes I know about that, but I can't clean that, I don't have any cleaning equipment for that". Can it be that a four star hotel has no means to clean stains and marks from carpets? Even so, the fact that the area around my basin was not cleaned for the duration of my 7 night stay is also shocking. In fact I don't even think they cleaned the toilet!

To add insult to this, on check out, the reception staffs' new computer system caused them endless problems, and delays, causing us to wait for a long time. I know that I had no extras to be billed to me, so was surprised when they said I made a phone call. After another few mins it was "reversed" as it was the call they diverted to the cell phone of the duty manager, which they wanted to bill me for! I have to say that it's not the level of service or hygiene I expect from a European 4 star hotel, and the "compensation" of the two drinks and the apology letter from the duty manager appears to have done little to actually deal with the issues in question.

The hotel has no swimming pool or fitness centre, but is well located next to Rembrandt Square. None of the rooms have any great views, and rather look onto alley ways or interior courtyards and ventilation areas. The fact that they have closed the hotels reception as they now only use the reception of the adjoining three star Eden hotel for all guests, does not exactly make you feel like a four star guest. I would really wish that the hotel staff take seriously when a guest does take the time to call the duty manager, especially about poor hygiene, and train their cleaning staff to report issues of dirty floors, basins and mugs, and to supply equipment to ensure things stay in good shape. Perhaps a supervisor should check rooms regularly if cleaning staff are not equipped to deal with issues.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank Transmediaafrica
Thomas h, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write to Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square with regards to your experiences with our hotel. As we are constantly striving to improve our level of service we value our customers’ opinions and remarks. To ensure us of providing the expected hospitality and accommodations your observations are a vital part of this process and are therefore carefully considered.

First of all we apologise for the inconvenience caused. We are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your room and service.
We will use your comments to improve our level of service for next time and our next guests.

The management

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel several times over several years and really like it, it's in a great location, the first time I booked it because I wanted a hotel with a lift and there aren't a lot of hotels in Amsterdam have lifts, after staying here I always stay here now because it was exactly what we wanted , the staff, particularly the commissionaire are great, friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean and kept stocked with tea and coffee and biscuits, the bathrooms are lovely, very up to date, the location of the hotel is great, as soon as you step outside it's only a few steps in any direction to bars, restaurants, coffee shops, there are street artists just across the road, there is loads of things to see and do in Amsterdam, it's a fabulous city and with such a short flight of under an hour from the UK, you can get to the hotel and be out and about in no time without feeling tired after the flight, highly recommended hotel and highly recommended city

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for your great comments about your stay and our hotel.
We look forward to welcome you again.

Muscat, Oman
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Bottom line, it is not four star quality.

Our first room was unclean with stains (not coffee or tea) on the "armchair". The carpet too was stained and cutlery unwashed. On the upside the bathroom was modern and very clean. Without a fuss, we were given a second room. It was fine though the double bed was small and being on the street side, noisy at night. Again, bathroom good. The daily cleaning was just ok.

The breakfast was good and the staff overall, were helpful.

Great location but standards not quite there.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Thomas h, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your observations and staying with us.
We are starting with a soft renovation in this month to improve our qualty.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Having travelled Many hours to get there, arriving too soon for checkin, but having to fill 4+ hours was not a good way to start.
Entering the room, the odor was very much like someone had just used the toilet.
( after 3 days I figured out it may have been the toilet brush.)
While I hope that carpets have been cleaned in the last two years, if they have, and still look that stained and dirty, I would wish that they would be replaced. I would not go barefoot anywhere in the room. Even though it was serviced, it was never vacuumed.
The towels had a rinsed, not soap washed smell.
And, one and only time in the Netherlands, our room was on the 1st floor with a view of the roof of the atrium, surrounded by 4 floors of windows. No hint of what the real light outside was like. Again, a problem for somebody coming from the other hemisphere.
On the positive side, the beds were comfortable, and the staff generally helpful and pleasant.
Very disappointing for a once in a lifetime chance.

Room Tip: While the room was great for sleeping (little outside light and No outside noise), it also had no vi...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your response about your stay with us.
We are sorry to hear that your stay was not comfortable.
We will check your comments with our departments, thank you for this.

Maceio, AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

As a brazilian, i thought was weird the reception be so far, but besides that everything was great.
The room was good, clean and ok. the bed was uncomfortable, but i don`t think i can jeopardize all the hotel beacuse of that.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampshire Hotels

Thomas h, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for posting this review regarding your stay with us.
Our staff is looking forward to welcome you again.