“Overall a great stay but minor things need addressed”

Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam
Ranked #170 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed with my boyfriend for 3 nights in August. The room on the fifth floor was lovely, gorgeous toiletries and very clean. However there was a disgusting stain on the carpet and the wood on my desk was coming off and I had a slight injury to my hand from it. When I spoke to reception the woman just seemed panicked and thanked me for letting her know, but nothing was done during our stay and I would have preferred some sort of gesture of compensation but this was not offered and I didn't want to waste time bickering when I could have been enjoying my holiday. The location was excellent and I must complement the concierge staff who were very helpful, attentive and saved my day when I realised I had locked my hand luggage keys in my hand luggage! I would return if those imperfections were addressed.

• Stayed: August 2013
Thomas h, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear guest,

We are sorry to hear about your observations in the room!
We will contact our staff about this matter!
Next month we will start with a soft renovation in the rooms so we hope that this will improve our quality!

The management

There are newer reviews for Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed here on business during the week for four nights. The hotel has quite a classy feel to it. The Bank I work for has a deal with this hotel so we got upgraded rooms which were very good. The showers lacked water pressure. The rooms were well decorated, everything was there that I would expect. The staff were freindly and helpful.
The location is great, there seemed to be lots to do on the square. As I was on business I didn't do much. Also I didn't eat in any restaurants but I can say there are some very good takeaways near this hotel.
My only complaint is that the double bed is two single beds jammed together. Not a huge problem but my Blackberry fell down the middle which I didn't notice and it took me ages to find it.

As a business traveller I was quite impressed. Place was a good sanctuary to come back to after a hard day's work. Easy to find a takeaway and get a good night's sleep. Wifi works well too which is a must for me.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Thomas h, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for this great review!
We hope to welcome you again in our hotel next time!

Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights, great location right next to Rembrandt Square. Nice restaurant and bar in hotel. Bars and restaurants all around hotel too. We had a decent size room with a canal view, worth the extra money we paid for it. Would stay here again, clean and comfy hotel, a little gem.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pat R
Thomas h, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review!
We look forward to welcome you again next time!

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Given the great central location and the cost for the room, I would say this was a good deal. But of course a deal comes with a catch. The rooms are not that large, the bed not the best in the world. A bit of wear and tear evident in fixtures and fittings. Staff were all pleasant. So, not bad. (watch out for rooms on lower floors on the side of the tram - that will be noisy).

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room when you book. Definitely don't want a room on the road with the tram.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Thomas h, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Thnak you for your comments on this website1
We will use these comments to improve our level of service!
We look forward to welcome you again!

Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a week, for work, great location was able to walk to many near by bars and places to eat. Room was clean, the bed was one of the best for comfort. I requested a room on the top floor away from the road, and it was so peaceful. Bathroom and shower, clean very nice.

• Stayed: September 2013
Thomas h, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for staying in our hotel!
We hope to welcome you again!

Reviewed September 14, 2013

This place has not improved, despite its change of name over the years.

The fruit in the buffet was covered in flies. My room had a filthy phone and bedside table. My bathroom wasn't cleaned. I had to ask three times for a TV remote control. The carpet was not vacuumed in my room. The lobby carpet smells foul.

This hotel does not meet the expectation for its price.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
1  Thank Neatham

Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments!
We will use these to improve our level of service!
We will start with renovating our rooms next month!

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Executive summary....the place is a dump. To be fair, I guess that this is two hotels (the Hampshire & the Eden) and people make a big deal of the difference between the two --but who cares? Either way, the place is simply not that great based on my experience. Check-in was a fiasco and late by more than an hour (4PM) and when I finally got the room, it was a dump. It certainly had the basics but the place was filthy and pretty worn out. In particular, the carpet was filthy and smelled pretty bad --especially as it was a bit rainy while we were there. Last, the bathrooms were something you would expect to see out of a Cold War communist prison block. BTW, there is no toilet paper. Instead they have this little plastic box that dispenses tiny sheets of 240-grit sandpaper. If that is not bad enough, this cheap dispenser never stays closed and one has to sit hunched over as, otherwise, the dispenser jabs you in the back.

I try to be fair and balanced in my reviews --so I will have to end this one now as I am hard-pressed to find a single reason to suggest that you stay here. It should be noted that the location is great as it is right on Rembrandtplein and makes a good home base to see Amsterdam. But this is also the very same reason to stay somewhere else as there are many hotels and inns right near there and one doesn't need to settle for this place.

As I write this, I should have given it one star. However, I will still give it two as I think the staff was trying to do the right thing --but the odds were against them.

Room Tip: Want a good room? Go to another hotel --or a park bench. Both would be better,.

Dear guest,

Thank you for your observations and regards to your experiences with our hotel. As we are constantly striving to improve our level of service we value our customers’ opinions and remarks. To ensure us of providing the expected hospitality and accommodations your observations are a vital part of this process and are therefore carefully considered.
We are starting next month with our renovation from the rooms and lobby!
We hope to welcome you again when this is ready!