$220
$193
Radisson Blu
Savings alert! 38% below average rates

The price you found is 38% lower than this hotel's average rate of $309/night.

Hotel Sebastian's(Amsterdam)
$203
  • Bar/Lounge
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of $243/night.

$225
$203
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of $270/night.

NH City Centre Amsterdam(Amsterdam)
$202
$174
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $193/night.

Banks Mansion(Amsterdam)
$189
$180
Kimpton
Savings alert! 20% below average rates

The price you found is 20% lower than this hotel's average rate of $224/night.

Ambassade Hotel(Amsterdam)
$242
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
1,913 results
All reviewshampshire hotelgreat locationmini barfrosted glassnice hotelamstel riverjunior suitebars and restaurantscentral locationtram stopred light districtconciergenightlifestopseurope
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hotel is situated in an excellent location, well within walking distance of key Amsterdam attractions. The hotel has two entrances, one facing the Amstel river, and the other Rembrandtplein, which is lined with stores and some good restaurants.

The lobby and rooms are decorated in a modern, somewhat minimalist style. Our room was well equipped, although it lacked a guide book listing the hotel's amenities. I don't know if the lack of guide book was an oversight or part of the hotel's minimalism. Most of the printed information that was included in the room had translations in several languages, including English, but instructions for using the safe were in Dutch only.

The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept on. The mattress seemed reasonably firm, but was topped with a thick layer of downy material that made me feel like I was sleeping on a cloud.

Other reviewers have mentioned the translucent glass in the bathrooms. The bathrooms offer very little privacy. Sitting on the bed, one can easily see the feet of a person sitting on the toilet, and everything that happens in the bathroom is embarrassingly obvious. All of this seems to be a deliberate design decision: the glass wall at the back of the shower, facing the room, is certainly intentional. I'm puzzled about the intention. If the design was trying to say that privacy is an illusion, or unnecessary, then why is some of the glass frosted? If the design was attempting to provide privacy, why is some of the glass clear? I'm not sure who the hybrid frosted/clear glass is meant to appeal to -- insecure exhibitionists? Either way, I think the design fails. Of course, none if this is an issue if you're travelling alone, and the hotel does seem to cater to business travellers.

To make the room's lights come on, it is necessary to insert your room key into a slot near the door. I understand this is common in European hotels, and I think it's a good idea, since it prevents guests from leaving lights burning when the room is unoccupied. A large switch under they key slot near the door reactivates whatever lights were on last time; the switch can also be used to turn off all the lights in the room. When I got up to use the bathroom at night, I accidentally pressed the large main switch, which filled the room with light and woke my wife. As it happens, turning on just the bathroom light also pretty much fills the room with light because of the glass wall. However, another switch on the same panel activates subdued, indirect light in the bathroom, which is a good compromise. The trick is to find that switch while groping around in the dark.

Service at the hotel was disappointing at times. We had a bottle of wine and needed a corkscrew to open it. In other hotels I've simply called reception or guest services and a corkscrew has been brought up to the room. Without a guide book in the room, I wasn't sure who to call, so I went downstairs to reception. I asked to borrow a corkscrew, and the clerk told me (a little curtly) that she didn't have one. She advised me to ask at the hotel's restaurant. This, I thought, was a missed opportunity to impress me with customer service: a much better response would have been, "Sorry for the inconvenience; I'll have a corkscrew sent to your room right away." Instead, I went to the restaurant and was told flat out that they wouldn't loan me a corkscrew, but they would open the bottle for me if I brought it. So I had to go back to the room to retrieve the bottle, then back down to the restaurant, then back to the room. Not a big deal, but hardly the kind of service that makes a customer want to return or recommend the hotel to others.

Further on the topic of customer service, the wakeup call we had requested for 6:15 AM on the day we checked out wasn't made until 6:40 AM, five minutes before our transfer to the airport was scheduled to arrive.

Our room was not as clean as we would have liked. The carpet had many nasty-looking stains, and there was a wine-colored splatter on the wall under the window.

Extra towels were kept in a closet outside the bathroom, meaning it was necessary to go out of the bathroom into the room (and onto the nasty carpet in wet, bare feet) if another towel was needed after a shower. This was odd, since there were places to store towels within the bathroom.

Amsterdam is a noisy place, especially at night, so if you don't want to be disturbed by street noise, choose your room carefully. Our room, 258, faced onto a kind of interior courtyard. Although there wasn't much of a view, we were mostly protected from the racket made by those enjoying the high life on the streets. We met other people staying at the hotel, with a room facing the street, who told us they were virtually unable to sleep. My recommendation is to ask for a room facing this courtyard.

Breakfast was included on our stay (I believe this is optional). The buffet offered plenty of choice and the quality was good.

I think the hotel is intended mainly for business travellers, particularly those travelling alone so the bathroom's half-hearted privacy isn't an issue. Amsterdam is a charming city (most of it, anyway), but the hotel's antiseptic modernism seems out of place.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the interior courtyard avoid street noise.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank philFromOttawa
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Time for new carpets !! We had to change room twice before getting one with a decent (far from ok) carpet. In the first room we thought there had been a blood fight ! In the third one the coca cola was still on the walls, the soap holders were not cleaned, only two towels were prepared.

In the morning at breakfast it was a "fight or your rights". They pickup the room number and let you fight for a table ! Not organised at all and with 8p you can imagine....

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The Hampshire Hotel is located in the very center of Amsterdam, near the crowded Rembrandt Square, which is famous for rich nightlife. It can be bothering in the night, when laud noises wake you up, but generally it's not so bad. The rooms are quite small, and not perfectly clean, but the breakfast buffet reward's it - it's rich and delicious - absolutely perfect.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We visited this hotel in September 2012 for 2 nights. Our first time in Amsterdam and we were really happy to be staying in a hotel which was close to everything. Rembrant square is a really pretty and clean part of amsterdam with plenty of restaurants and bars.
Only little issue I'd say would be that the bathroom area has a frosted glass wall so if you aren't staying with a close partner maybe ask for a room without this as you can see when someone is using the loo! However, I think this may be a quite modern design for hotels in Europe.
This hotel was clean and we were impressed by the security. You couldn't use the lifts to hotel rooms without your room keys and you couldn't enter the front door in the evening without it either. Hotel staff were very friendly and gave us a map of the town when we first arrived. They were also very helpful with storing our bags away when we first arrived.
We decided not to have breakfast at the hotel as we wanted to experience lots of different restaurants while there so can't comment on that.
great hotel and would stay here again. I've recommended to my parents as they are travelling to amsterdam in March.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com