“Just barely qualifies as a 'hotel', closer to a hostel” 3 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
The Veteran
Ranked #178 of 219 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Canberra
“Just barely qualifies as a 'hotel', closer to a hostel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

We knew what we were getting into with The Veteran, thanks to the online comments here, before we arrived. The Veteran barely qualifies as a hotel, it is certainly LOW LOW LOW LOW budget. The room was clean, although the walls were dirty with gum (in one instance) and dead mosquitos plastered on the walls. The room was squishy and cramped. The room thankfully did have it's own sink, which was extremely useful as the communal wash closet (one toilet, sink, one shower) served at least 10 people. If you need quiet when you sleep this isn't the place for you as the hotel is located right next to a coffee shop, bars and clubs. I also think that the price we paid was too much for the room and hotel itself. All in all, I'd stay here again but for no more than one or two nights MAX.

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Turkish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

This is a really good hotel. It is just off Rembrandtplein, which is one of the biggest party places. It can get a little noisy on weekend nights, but given the convenience, we didn't mind. It is just 4 stops from Amsterdam Centraal, if you're getting into the city by train.

The room was nice, clean and decently sized. The attached bathroom was good too. The breakfast served was sufficient and value for money.

The Chinese couple running the place were helpful, resourceful and probably the only people in all of Europe who offered to carry our bags to our rooms (reminded us of hospitality in Asia :)). I booked well in advance, so got a really good price for a double room with attached bathroom.

If I were to go back to Amsterdam, I would definitely stay here another time.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

Well not the best but really enjoyed it here , top breakfast staff are nice , I would defiantly go again great value for the money , rooms not the best but you get what you pay for , still I had some of the best times here

• Stayed July 2013
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We had to find another hotel because our original hostel The Flying Pig (awesome!) did not have enough room for our last night in Amsterdam. But this place is disgusting. There was blood on the comforter, the extra twin bed had a hole in the middle and it did not feel safe at all.

Additionally the staff cannot speak a word of English even though they advertise that they can! They did not understand that I needed help getting a Taxi to the airport in the morning. Finally I just took my bags down the street to the plaza to a fancy hotel and they arranged a taxi for me for free at 4am. So alone, I had to walk to ANOTHER hotel.

The location is on a fun square but I highly recommend the Central Station area more.

I am totally used to low budget hostels but this place was terrible. It's been a while since I stayed here and I still get the creeps. Ug.

Room Tip: Specifically ask not to have the downstairs front room. Drunks walk by all night long a foot from yo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank madison619

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

GOOD: Spent 5 days here and I really liked it. Inexpensive and right on the corner of Rembrandt with a beautiful canal view. So nice to wake up to that. There are a lot of restaurants and bars when you set foot outside which can make it a little noisy but you can just close the window. Stayed in a room with 4 beds with friends. All single beds, very comfy and the room was cleaned often. Although they cleaned once while we were out which I didn't really care for. The staff was lovely. You are given a key for the front door and the door downstairs. Small tv on the wall with a lot of English speaking channels like MTV.

BAD: wasnt really informed about city tax but I guess i should have known that before. the 9th stair is literally eye level which gives you an idea about the size of stairs. Really scary at night when you are tired or drunk. I wouldnt call it a hotel...not sure why its called that. ALSO BED BUGS. not fun.

Stayed Aug 2013.

Would def go again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Just got back from spending just under a week in Amsterdam with my girlfriend. We had room 1 in the Veteran which had a beautiful canal view. I really liked the room and architecture of the building. We had a double bed, chest of draws, sink and a small tv. Perfect for a short stay. It was cold in the morning and sometimes at night but didn't bother us to much. The bathroom is shared and was usually pretty clean just awkward when waiting for people to finish showering when you want to go out. The staircase is very steep and small but I liked it and added a nice quirk to the hostel. Some people may not appreciate it and or struggle getting up and down. It's located in Thorbeckeplein just of Rembrantplein. Great location you can get to most things in Amaterdam by walking as we did. The breakfast is continental and I really liked what they offered us friendly staff and willing to help with anything. It is advertised as a Hotel but it certainly is not. It's a Hostel. We could smell weed regularly not sure if it was the coffee shop next door or the other residents in the hostel.. I think it was the latter. Overall good place to crash for a short break, don't book if you are expecting "Hotel" standards. I will certainly return if I go back to Amaterdam again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joeiam2
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Booked Hotel Veteran for me and my boyfriend, first off it is more of a hostel! We enjoyed it and liked our room which overlooked the canal, location is very central and in a really nice area, Rembrandt can get very noisy at night and is full of pubs, clubs and restaurants but we seemed to sleep through it! Breakfast was basic continental but all we wanted. Bad points are there is a shared bathroom, it was clean the majority of the time but just annoying when you have to wait for others to finish before you can shower. The hotel smelt strongly of weed, not sure if this was the coffee shop next door or our neighbours being naughty! The stairs are very steep which didn't bother us but might others. Overall we had a good stay here and would definitely stay here again if we ever come back to Amsterdam.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple