“Rooms ok - Beds good if you like a boogie!”
Review of Thorbecke Hotel

Thorbecke Hotel
Ranked #363 of 369 Hotels in Amsterdam
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
“Rooms ok - Beds good if you like a boogie!”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The Thorbecke was pretty much what I expected having read the reviews. The room was better than I had prepared myself for (apart from a good gathering of mould in the bathroom!)

What you py for here is not the hotel nor the room, it is the location, Rembrandtsplein is excellent, and although I have neer stayed in the square itself I have visited on over a dozen occasions.

Biggest cricisim, of the Thorbecke was when we returned back to go to bed. There was still a queue outside the property - for the club underneath. No Lie, it would not have been any noisier in our room than if I'd curled up on the dance floor with my duvet downstairs! Now I like Erasure, but not as if im by the speaker at 3.00AM.

The fact I was quite intoxicated at the time meant i went to sleep ok, but sober, not a chance without ear plugs.

In short, not the worst I've stayed in, but probably wont be going back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Korean first
Amsterdam
Reviewed October 18, 2012

hey guys, this hotel is in great locations.good for couples to stay.rooms are clean,simple with tv and bathroom.price is also great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed October 17, 2012

In July I booked a room at this hotel for a weekend in October. They charged me immediately with a deposit in order to guarantee the reservation. Originally I had told them, when making the reservation, that I was planning on arriving at 2 PM. Since my expected arrival time later on changed, I wanted to inform the hotel of this, so I wrote them an email one week before my arrival to let them know. Two days later they send me an email where they tell me that my credit card details are invalid. I find this strange, but I still send them my credit card details via email. The day after, they send me an email telling me that my booking has been cancelled. This was three days before my arrival in Amsterdam. I got highly frustrated and stressed about this, since finding another hotel in such a short notice is not easy! I have a suspition that the hotel had a problem with overbooking and that that's the reason why they decided to cancel my reservation at the last minute. But at least they should have been professional enough to admit this and let me know about the problem way earlier. I will probably never get my deposit returned either. Please take my advice and stay away from this hotel!

Stayed October 2012

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Beersheba, Israel
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We went to this Hotel, only because it was the only one available in the dates we visited, and also because the cost was not too high. (The hotels in the center is really pricy..)
I have to say It was really reasonable Hotel, the Breakfast was ordinary, a little bit noisy due to the fact is on the square and door to door to a few Pub’s.
Easy access by transportation from airport, and really short walking to all city sites.
In the evenings\weekend the square is full of young people, really nice atmosphere
If you are looking for a romantic weekend this is not the Hotel for you. But If you just looking for a place to crush at night during Amsterdam city exploring I think It is more than enough. (But not for people with sleeping problems)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012

It is easy to be critical of anywhere..only experience provides the ability to read between the lines. This was my 5th visit to Amsterdam over the years and my 5th different accommodation. The best by far was the Prinz Hendrik opposite the Centraal and the worst was a hostel near Leidseplein Square.
The Thorbecke provides no more or less than its' description in the travelogues.
I stayed here with my son for 4 nights. It is absolutely perfectly placed in the Centre of the city, within 30 minutes stroll from the Museum quarter to the South and the Centraal in the North. There is also a tram stop across Rembrandtplein Square which can whisk you there in 10 minutes for 3.5 Euros....
The Hotel itself is about 200 years old, so it has a vertical disposition and if you are on the top floor, you must negotiate several very steep flights of stairs, but fortunately the breakfast room is on the first floor. The breakfast itself is exactly what you may expect in any budget hotel...bread/toast with sliced ham and cheese...jams and marmalades, fruit juice etc. so don't expect an English breakfast; you are not in England.
I sleep like a log, as does my son, so the local nightclubs did not bother us at all...
The electrical outlets do require an adult approach, but they all worked, as did adaptors. The tv had multiple channels including(to my surprise) BBC1 and BBC2 for those , like myself, whose command of Dutch is non-existent.
There is a superb Indonesian restaurant on the corner, below the Hotel -one of the best in the City and a very good Irish bar (try the soup) across the Square.
We paid the equivalent of £100 each for the 3 nights, so no complaints there - I indulged the extra Euros on fine chocolate which I would have spent on another star rating...I left the Hotel without complaint of any description.

Room Tip: Room 23 is highest from the street and overlooks a very pretty courtyard
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This hotel was so disgusting that any reputable on-line hotel booking company should not have it in their books if it wants customers to continue booking hotels through it. Suffice it to say that we moved out of the hotel offering the same rate with better facilities and room. It was dirty - using the word dirty to describe the hotel is actually an insult to dirt. The bedsheets were dirty, curtains dirty everything was just disgusting. The room which was supposed to occupy two people was so cramp there was not enough room to swing a cat yet alone 2 people. Please do not waster your money on this so called hotel. Avoid it like a plague

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends