“Pub visit”
Review of Durty Nelly's Inn

Durty Nelly's Inn
Ranked #32 of 237 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Stopped in here for a few drinks after a day of walking around. Nice atmosphere though a little noisy due to the rugby. If you are not a sports fan I would avoid when there is a game on.
Pretty good service overall though one barman was a bit funny when my boyfriend said "can I have a pint of Guinness and a packet of crisps" and had to repeat it about three times until prompted to say please. Not sure this was really necessary, I don't believe pub etiquette requires a 'please' when you order a drink. I've worked I'm the service industry myself so I understand what it can be like but my boyfriend wasn't being rude.
You have to pay 20 cents for the bathroom which was the main thing we didn't like about the place. We are used to paying for public toilets, even in London you have to pay in some places. But paying in a bar takes the biscuit. I would not spend the whole night in here having to pay everytime. I'd rather spend the extra on beer and go to the bathroom hassle free. My bf tried to pay the attendant with small change only to be told it wasn't accepted anymore. Slightly ridiculous...if he hadn't have had more change he couldn't have gone. Reason enough to leave right there.
Nevertheless we enjoyed a couple of hours in here. Great location.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SNNS44
dejimoAmsterdam, Manager at Durty Nelly's Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Hi,Glad to hear that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your visit to Nellys.I think the 'please'issue was probably a miscommunication.We do try to steer people to good manners[which I believe are important in all interactions]with a bit of humour.Regarding the toilet payment which we do on weekends I accept that some of our customers will not like it but we think we offer clean and safe facilities and that as we're priced up to a euro cheaper for our drinks than other large bars it's best not to raise our prices and instead have the weekend charge.I understand this isn't common in the rest of Europe but you'll find this charge in bars,department stores,McDonalds etc in the Netherlands.They do alot of things differently here,mostly positive I think,;-),thanks Jim

Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a weekend with some friends for a wee reunion, location was perfect. The room was simple but had everything we needed, staff were nice too and there's a good atmosphere. Not gonna lie, breakfast wasn't what I hoped for but a free brekkie in a hostel never is gona be! Would stay again :) good for a trip away with friends!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you ,we hope to see you for reunion 2015,cheers Jim

Reviewed January 16, 2014

The location is excellent about 5 minutes walking distance from Central Station. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, they helped us a lot! The rooms are pretty good as well, they were clean and decent for a hostel. The pub on the ground floor is a good meeting point, the drinks are great and the atmosphere is always good. Overall, I would definitely stay here again, a very good hostel!

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor have a good WiFi connection.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
dejimoAmsterdam, Manager at Durty Nelly's Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Cheers Wael,Thanks for taking the time to post this review.Hope to see you again soon,Jim

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Internet doesn't work in some rooms and the rooms are too small. Faucet broke down, it dush water.I think its price is a little bit high. Faucet broke down, it dush water. But very good location and nice staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Staff was very friendly and easy to talk to. Free wifi and what ever food you want at any time of the day. Had full Irish breakfast everyday with no complaints. Located seconds from the centre with lots of night life on the door step. No smoking in the bar too!

• Stayed: December 2013

Hi Jay,cheers for the review,it's appreciated,Jim

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Durty Nellys is a hostel located just above an irish bar.
Afraid i wouldnt be able to sleep, but that didnt seem to be a problem. Note that i didnt stay there during a weekend, that might be a different story.
Still, hostels with a good location and good quality is always hard to find. Therefore, Durty Nellys is just like any other city hostel. Basic comfort, a bit overpriced, just what you expect from a hostel actually. As it is located above a bar, the hostel itself is rather dull. All is to do in the pub. Main attraction is actually the location, right in the red light district, surrounded by coffeeshops and all is in walking distance.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Seemed a good pub, spent several hours in there drinking / spending money.
Twice used toilets - no problem.
When it got busy they started charging to use the toilet. Quite understand cost for people not using the pub but after spending a lot of money at the bar I would have thought toilet should be free.

Money taken with menaces by heavy set mouthy woman who took no prisoners. She reliably informs me toilets are chargeable in all euro cities. We'll I'm well travelled and this is not true.

Avoid this rip off at all costs

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fenderamp6

Hi,Glad to hear that you enjoyed our pub and sorry that you don't agree with our weekend toilet charge of 20 cent.To be honest we very rarely receive any negatives about this charge as most people appreciate clean and safe [no drug taking]facilities.This charge is very common in the Netherlands and Belgium [in bars,McDonalds and rail stations etc]As we are nearly €2 per pint cheaper than most similar sized bars I don't think we can be said to be a rip off.I appreciate that this charge annoys some people but I don't think describing the lady as ^heavyset^ was nescessary.Thanks Jim