“This hostel will rip you off! Do not book here!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Annemarie Hotel

Annemarie Hotel
Ranked #345 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“This hostel will rip you off! Do not book here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

This hostel will rip you off. They have made a habit of taking bookings and making it imopssible for your to actually check in. If you book online they will charge you anyway, despite claiming they have cancelled your booking, or need money to process the check in. DO NOT BOOK IN!

The man behind the desk distorts the bookings. He takes them online, when you arrive is so rude, threatening and unsafe that you leave, or claims the booking can't be processed, or something, and then when you leave he will charge the full amount anyway.

DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Luton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Good Points
The location was decent as it was right by a lot of the main museums on the edge of the city centre. There was also a supermarket within walking distance. There was free internet access, although sadly it was very slow (but the thought counts).

Bad Points

The hygene was questionable. The bathrooms were generally dirty, smelly and not looked after. On the listing it said there would be secure lockers/storage space for your values. This was not the case. I was forced to take out my luggage on a daily basis due to not wishing to leave valuables unattended in a communal dorm. Staff would/could not hang onto items behind the counter.

A 'continental breakfast' was included on the price - although I am not an expert, I wouldn't say a few cheap sliced loaves and a pot of jam constitute a snack let alone a buffet (a crafty way of adding a few extra quid onto the price). If I had known all of these factors there would be no way I would have stayed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

This hostel in Amsterdam was really nice. I stayed with 3 friends and I believe we stayed in a room with 6-7 bunk beds for 10-14 beds total. We stayed on the ground floor which worked out well. Our room had a lot of natural light coming from the porch area with a translucent sliding door. Unfortunately, we weren't allowed to open the sliding door, but through the full kitchen (all appliances; fridge, oven, double-sink) there was a back patio that we were allowed to hang out in.

The staff was nice, prompt and helped us as quickly as possible and was available 24/7. They had wi-fi that was free, I believe, and several desktops that you could use. Free "breakfast" which was just bread, jam, and peanut butter, but good drink choices for such a cheap stay and without extra charge.

The only negative thing I would say would be the bathrooms. There's only one per floor and with the number of folks staying there, I had to be pretty strategic to get into a bathroom to shower when it was most convenient for me, but not a HUGE hassle. Just had to keep that in mind when we left as a group some mornings.

The location is pretty good. It's on the outskirts of Amsterdam, but 50 yards from a tram-stop which got us to the train station as we left Amsterdam in probably about 15-20 minutes in the very early morning. There's a small strip of park that my friends and I played Frisbee in that's just past that tram-stop and a very large park just a 10 minute walk away.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the bathrooms if possible. Have to be quick and sneaky!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

This is a nice building, situated right at the tip of the amazing Museum Pleine, a massive square along which the majority of Amsterdam's museums all sit, including the amazing and recently redone Rijks museum. I also found easy access to Leidsepleine and all the night-life there, right on the other side of Museumpleine, which is a really beautiful walk in and of itself..

The accommodations are nice, modest but for a modest price. They are clean, and also offer free light breakfast and coffee to all visitors.

There is a nice garden in the back as well. This place seems especially good for museumgoers. Between Museumpleiene and Leidsepleine, a wealath of day and night attractions are minutes away on foot.

I also appreciated being outside of the congestion of the center. Great location great access.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Guernsey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I spent six days at this hostel. Its cheaper than many other hostels. The place seemed clean enough. It is true that there is is not enough forks and spoons in the kitchen. The downstairs bathroom is tiny. The location is good with a supermarket two minutes walk.
However, most of the staff were nice enough. But, I gave my computer to a member of the team for safe keeping. I misplaced the receipt that the guy gave to me,( I later found it in my bag). Ten minutes before I was about to take the airport bus, I requested my computer. The member of staff implied that I didn't have a computer, laughed at me for not knowing the brand of computer , made me stressed that I misspelt the password. I realised that there are ways of dealing with guests as I have worked in hotels for years and I remained calm. Thankfully, I had uploaded a large photo of myself on the screen saver and after I had entered the right password, I was able to prove my ownership and left.
I would stay here again, if I needed to. I wouldn't let someone with poor social skills influence my choice of hostel

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor, the shower room is very small.
Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 239peter
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I booked accomodation through their website, entered my card details, etc. Then someone left a garbled message on my phone with the phrase 'you put money on credit card' used many times.
I emailed the hostel twice to ask if there was a problem with my booking and received no reply. I called them and the guy that answered said he couldn't find my reservation. I asked if I could re-book over the phone and he said that it was best to use the website. Clearly not.
I booked elsewhere and thought no more about it until I returned from my trip to find that they'd billed me for not showing up. Unbelievable.
I called, I emailed, I posted a letter of complaint. Three months later and I still have no response and no refund.
Amsterdam is full of lovely places to stay, but this sure wasn't one of them.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank C H
Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

The location is very good, across the street from an opera house and felt very safe. Museumplein is minutes away as well as a supermarket. The staff weren't overly friendly but polite enough. Everything was pretty clean and the beds were quite good. We were in a room with 12 beds, some guests decided to come in at 4AM and wake up the entire building but such is the hostel experience. My one complaint would be that the toilet and shower "cubicle" were very small. The shower on the ground floor is essentially a kitchen cupboard, with barely any space to hang a towel. For the price I think we could have found somewhere better, but next time I think we'll be spending the extra £ for a budget hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends