“Highly recommended!!”
Review of B&B Barangay

B&B Barangay
Ranked #6 of 337 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Lovely accomodation and the staff were amazing, catered to every need and we really enjoyed the varied breakfasts! The decor was very unique and en suite was very modern.
Will definately stay here when we visit again.
5 minute walk to central station and trams also.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Siobhan D
There are newer reviews for B&B Barangay

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Clean comfortable accommodation. 5 Minute walk to central station and trams. Excellent breakfast. The most pleasant and helpful hosts I have ever encountered when staying in a B&B.
Wim will provide excellent advice (plus map) on places you would like to visit during your stay.

Room Tip: Any infirm traveller should choose lower level room as stairs are steep to some rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Font66
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I have been to Amsterdam about three or four times in the past and have always stayed in a B&B on Herengracht. This time, since we were a bigger group, I had to find a place that could accommodate all five of us.

Barangay has always been at my top list of places to stay when I search the internet for B&Bs in Amsterdam and I regret not checking this place out sooner! It is located in a superb spot, just by the train station and right where the small shops and places to eat are located. The hosts are friendly people, but not too over friendly that they encroach in your space.

We were living at the top floor during the time we stayed here so we occupied the entire top area. Which meant that we only had to share the bathroom upstairs with each other (from within our travelling party). The top floor rooms accommodate a triple occupancy and double occupancy. I would have minded a little bit if we had to share the bathroom with strangers.

However, whilst there, some contractors arrived because I believe they were splitting the bathroom into two. So maybe on your stay you won't have this issue anymore! But despite the shared bathrooms at the top floor, the bathroom is immaculately clean at all times. Huge enough to be a room itself, and really just 2 steps away from your room so it doesn't feel like it's out of the way to go there in the middle of the night.

My favorite part of the B&B apart from the little kittens that greeted us when we were briefed before check in is the kitchen. It always has coffee available. The kitchen is completely useable at almost all hours of the day. And the breakfast choices are pretty basic but sufficient--with enough choices of meats and cheese and different kinds of yummy bread.

I also mentioned the place is in a superb location. Dam square is a bit of a walk, but completely walkable (maybe 10 minutes leisure walking?). The place is also littered with a lot of coffee shops, cafes, and boutique stores for the smoker, the coffee-drinker, and the shopper. Best part is that it is near Joordan so if you happen to be there during the flea market time, then it's also walkable. It's quite a bit of a walk from Vondel Park and the museums, but since it is close to Centraal station, you can take a tram to virtually any part of the city from there.

All in all an awesome experience.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank pamromualdez
Godwin Dumagat Y, Owner at B&B Barangay, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

We want to thank these guests for their great review!
They are right right about the bathrooms. All rooms have private bathrooms now, (either private external or en-suite) Both upper rooms where these guests stayed have ensuite bathrooms now!

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Location of B&B in walking distance from train station, easy to find. On arrival, greeted by friendly owners who showed us to our room and gave us a detailed introduction to Amsterdam including a map. Bedroom was better than expected (and expectations were high), lovely décor, lots of space, warmth and light. En suite was exceeded expectations, the highlight being the walk in power shower! The communal breakfast room was always spotless, well stocked with various foodstuffs and usually we ate breakfast alone. On the occasion when another guest was dining, there was plenty of space. Was able to come and go at anytime we pleased. Cafes and supermarket on street behind B&B. All sightseeing attractions were in walking distance for us. Would definitely come back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Catherine627
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Not only is B & B Barangay a great location, the rooms are scrupulously clean, the hosts are welcoming, and the breakfast is yummy--plenty of coffee for us coffeeholics and warm bread baked by Wim along with the expected breakfast fare. Yes, there are stairs, but Noy carried my suitcase up when I arrived and down when I left--I don't know if this is usual service but I certainly appreciated it. I would definitely go back to B&B Barangay, and I've already recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: The room above the street had street noise, but I took out the movable screen at night and replaced...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Godwin Dumagat Y, Owner at B&B Barangay, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Thanks for taking your time in writing a very nice review. It is highly appreciated.
About the street noise, we would like to inform you and all our future guests that it is a thing of the past. We now have second set of windows, double glazed to filter all street noise.

Also, our kitchen has been transferred to a much bigger space ( 2.5x bigger ) to offer more comfort to our guests. It is still as cozy as before based on our guests new reviews. Very spacious for everyone to enjoy preparing their own breakfasts. The choice of sitting intimately on your own table or sitting ( as most guests do ) on the long table to meet and share your travel/amsterdam experience with other guests of Barangay.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future and a million appreciation for recommending us highly. Tropical regards, W&G, Eds, Billy & Bossy

Reviewed September 26, 2013

This was recommended to me by a friend who lived in Amsterdam 10 years ago. When I arrived the place was better than she described. I stayed in one of the rooms in the basement with the little internal garden. It was cosy, warm (you can controll the radiator to your liking) and comfortable. I was there in February so it was snowy and cold but the room was very warm. The outside shared bathroom was very clean and it really didn't feel like you were sharing it with anyone. The guys that run the B&B are utterly lovely. They recommended a few places to eat and looked after my bags on the last day after check out. The breakfast was sumptuous. I was waking up at 7 and the table was already set with all sorts of delish delights and the fridge well stocked. I left to work very happy every day. At the weekend I was joined by my friend and we were moved to the bigger suite to the side of the main building. That was very very comfortable, with it's own kitchen. An amazing coffee machine and really comfy bed. The sofa area was lovely, not that we stayed indoors long as there's so much to do around Amsterdam. the location of Barangay is ideal. It's 5 minutes walk from Central Station which is convenient for commuting and it's surrounded by fab bars shops and restaurants. A couple of really good supermarkets are near by too. The first room i stayed in is one of 2 in the basement and it's very quiet. It's equipped with everything you need. There is Wifi and it's a perfect place to stay if you're working in Amsterdam.
Highly recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thanks for your wonderful review!
We just want to inform future guests that our Patio rooms have private external bathrooms!
The upper rooms have en-suite bathrooms or private external bathrooms. Since February 2013 there are no more shared bathrooms!

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Picking accommodation on internet seems always risky, but I found a great choice with the Barangay. Their locations is really a short walking distance from the station. Run by Wimmo and Godwin I can understand why they have a lot of regular guests. Wimmo is a mind of useful info on where to go and what to see in Amsterdam. A clean and home away from home residence with authentic warm people including welcome drinks. Nice ( tropical ) design of the room will bring you special feeling in Amsterdam indeed. Surely, I won't stay anywhere else and would highly recommend to all visitors of this Amazing city.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business