Between Art and Kitsch B&B
$352
Ambassade Hotel(Amsterdam)
$204
Savings alert! 26% below average rates

The price you found is 26% lower than this hotel's average rate of $276/night.

Lloyd Hotel(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
$104
Hotel Estherea(Amsterdam)
$273
  • Room Service
The Toren(Amsterdam)
$534
  • Restaurant
All reviewsde pijpbaroque roomflights of stairsfully equipped kitchendining tablemuseum quarterfew minutes walkvan goghcold meatscity centreyogurttop floorcoffee machinelocation is greatrijksmuseumfridgecanal
Reviewed June 29, 2008

My Mother and I spent two weeks at this bed and breakfast. We were lucky enough to have the spacious baroque room which can easily sleep three people. Facing the canal, it has its own shower/toilet, mini kitchen with fridge, tv and eating area. The common area of the b&b has a kitchen area with fridge, mini stove, microwave, dishwasher, sink. There are two other rooms on the same floor. The owner and her husband live on the floor below. The room came with an air conditioner and supplemental heater if needed.

This b&b was good value for the money. The place needed a few repairs (e.g. wobbly doorknobs, burnt out light bulbs), but it was kept immaculately clean and everyone was quiet and respectful. We and Irene, the owner, took a little while to warm up to each other, but she was always very helpful and liked to ensure that we were happy with what was provided for breakfast. There were a few times where we had to come back to the b&b in the middle of the day and she did not mind. Irene also had no problem receiving our lost luggage for us.

Bread, Buns, cereals, crackers, spreads, fruits, veggies, eggs, cheese, juice, milk, tea and coffee are provided for breakfast and are also actually available all the time. You can cook eggs on the mini stove in the common kitchen (but no cooking allowed in the rooms). Supplies for making tea and coffee are always available in the rooms. Do not be afraid to ask for something specific as Irene is happy to deliver.

The b&b is at the top of four flights of stairs. Apparently this is common in Amsterdam, but would not work if you had any kind of difficulty with stairs.

Irene and Ebo have a Jack Russell terrier named Ruysdael and two very adorable cats, SweetheArt and Kitsch. The animals are not allowed in the rooms unless invited by guests. Ruysdael snapped at me a few times when I pet him, so I would stay away from him, especially children. He is not a vicious dog and did not actually bite me, I just tried to pet him in areas beyond his 'comfort zone.' Luckily he is very devoted to Irene and stays with her most of the time so you will hardly see him. SweetheArt is an aloof cat but Kitsch loooooves attention. She spent a lot of time in our room with us and we appreciated her presence. If you have pets and enjoy them being around, the cats do a lot to make the place feel like a home away from home. However, if you have pet allergies, I would look to stay somewhere else.

There is smoking in the building, but smoking is not permitted in the rooms. Guests who smoke usually do so by an open window in the common area. There are times when you can smell smoke after someone has been smoking, so if you are very sensitive to cigarettes, I would not recommend this place.

The neighbourhood is great! Close to the Rijks and Van Gogh museums there is a tram line and a grocery store a few blocks away and lots of restaurants. Although we were not out too much at night, we felt very safe when we were.

The only other caution I would offer on this place is that if you are extremely chemically sensitive, you will probably be bothered by this b&b. As mentioned above, it is kept immaculately clean, but Irene does use traditional scented cleansers.

Overall Between Art and Kitsch is good value for the money. You get a lot more room than at similar hotels/b&b's in this price range and are guaranteed a safe and quiet stay.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank TorontoGemstone
Reviewed June 1, 2008

Between Art & Kitsch is a wonderful unique B&B just a few minutes' walk from the Rijksmuseum. Irene who runs the B&B is friendly, helpful and happy to answer any questions or help you plan your stay. The rooms are large, clean and comfortable, the breakfast options are wide and varied, and Irene's cats are lovely! Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2008

I travel a lot on business to various countries and stay in hotels, my first holiday for a long time was going to be spent at Amsterdam and I could not have asked for a better "HOME" than Between Art and Kitsch B&B. Being on a holiday and living in a home away from home is a fantastic feeling. I brought in 2008 in style in Amsterdam and living here was a huge bonus. Irene is a very sweet and professional hostess. An outstanding room, comfortable bed, evenly temperature controlled and a very good wholesome breaskfast. Irene made me feel at home and I thank her for the fantastic 5 days I spent at her home. The place is just next to the museum and fashion street and restaurants and markets are just a stone's throw away. What more could a holiday goer ask for! I will come back here with my wife when I get married...there is also a room that looks very romantic and I would love to live there. Please ignore all the negative feedback on this place...Mikesh Eppaturi

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed November 7, 2007

I became a little disapointed of my stay at this bed and breakfast.
The room was clean and the house very good located in the city but overall I didn`t felt statisfied with my visit. First of all, the housekeeper Irene (which is a lovely person) she do smoke inside which makes your clothes stink. And there are cats in the house so don`t be allergic of pets if you thinking of staying there. The internet doesn`t always work but there is a computer you can borrow. The breakfast is very poor. The last morning we didn`t even got any bread. There are a lot of sugar bread and cookies but no fresh fuit or good müsli. We actually went to the supermarket and bought us some own breakfast, you have your own fridge in the room. We never got new towels, we always have to take new one by ourself. And notice that you have to pay 5% extra in tourist tax what we haven`t counted with. So to summary, I will not recomend this place.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank t0tte
Reviewed July 19, 2007

We've just come back from 3 nights at this lovely, welcoming and comfortable B&B. Right in the middle of a delightful villagey neighbourhood (lots of good small cafes, bars and restaurants within 5 minutes walk) so you feel as though you're living in the real Amsterdam, rather than being yet another tourist on a conveyor belt. But still 5 minutes walk to the Rijksmuseum and Vondel Park, so it's really easy to get around. There are trams very close, but we walked everywhere and felt we got to know the city well. The Albert Cuypstraat market's just round the corner too, another bit of real Amsterdam local life.

Irene's great and makes you feel completely at home - and having a kitchen and fridge at your disposal (including coffee maker and kettle and oven) makes the feeling of homeliness even greater. We loved the kittens and the kindness, the comfort and the kitsch. This isn't posh 5-star luxury but something much more appealing and special - individual, quirky, kindly , excellent value and fun. Much more memorable than some chain hotel !

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple