“nice homy on the canal”

Ranked #97 of 333 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Bangkok, Thailand
“nice homy on the canal”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

we stayed at heren for 4 nights and love it. location is good, a few minutes walk from tram station 'Kolk', though this station was shut after 20.00 for construction when we stayed, it's 10+ min. walk from the next station, but we felt safe at night. breakfasts was great. we stayed on the 2nd floor, it's a lot better than staying a a hotel. room very spacy and convenient. laundry is just around the corner, very near. the house owner, Vlad is friendly and informative when it comes to tourist attractions in holland. would recommend this b&b to friends.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tunwa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I booked Heren B&B on a special winter offer. When you book you do not know which B&B you will be staying in, but they are just minutes from each other and both delightful. The location is perfect, round the corner from many attractions and within walking distance from the rest, yet in a quieter area facing onto the canal.

We were met by one of the owners Vlad who showed us all round the different communal areas (living room, 2 kitchens and the breakfast room) in the building and giving us advice on the local attractions/where to eat. The owners couldn't be more generous, with food and drink in the fridge that you can help yourself to any time.

We were in one of the basement rooms which was surprisingly bright and modern. It had many luxuries including under floor heating and a great bathroom. It had obviously been renovated to an extremely high standard with excellent attention to detail.

Breakfast was served around a communal table which was great for meeting others and swapping tips on the attractions. The breakfast assistant was very friendly and helpful, making sure that the huge spread was constantly replenished and making us various treats such as Dutch pancakes.

We couldn't fault the B&B at all and have highly recommended it to all our friends and family. Thank you so much Vlad - (PS I finally gave in and we went to the Heineken Museum!)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sfw202
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

We're a young couple and stayed here over the Easter bank holiday weekend. We were greeted by Vlad on arrival at 11pm and he gave us a tour of the house. We were given the downstairs room with very large ensuite shower and sink but access to the toilet was just outside the room, however this was fine as it was still private. Room was perfect, modern decor, very spacious and included decent size TV, wardrobe space and skyline windows that were controlled by a remote. The controlling of the blinds allowed you to decide how much light you let in. The bed was very large and comfortable.

Breakfast is served between 9-11 which was perfect time for us but some residents would go out before hand, for example, to Anne Frank's house as this would get very busy during the day! The breakfast was fresh and included cereal, fruits, eggs, ham, several breads, cakes, yoghurt and one day Ken made us some pancakes too which weee delicious. All residents from the b&b sit together around the table which was nice to get to get recommendations and reviews of different attractions.

We were welcome to access the kitchen at any time and cook for ourself and use the milk, tea, orange juice etc. We forgot travel plugs and were kindly provided with 2! The one downfall / negative was the fact we checked out at 11am and flight was not until 10pm and we were unable to leave our bags in the b&b. As central station is only a short walk away from the b&b with cheap lockers, €5.10 for the day, I didn't feel this was that bad. In general the b&b is a short walk from all tourist attractions. The furthest we had to walk was 25mins to the Heineken experience but this could have been easily accessed by the tram if we wished!

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Jade T
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Like others, after thorough research of the mulitude of A'dam B+Bs, we chose this place.It keeps all its promises and delivers in addition. Yummy breakfast. Step out obto the cobble stone strret by the gracht. Really nice. The location near the old quarter, the joordan is excellent. Hope to go back some day,

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank uschi_is_umatravels
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Upon arrival, we were impressed with the great location and beautiful house. Its right on the canal and easy walking distance to the train station and the main square. Its a bit of a hike down to the museums but easily doable. They didn't have the room with initially booked available so they upgraded us to the apartment suite. The breakfast was amazing! The rooms were well appointed and comfortable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lizz0r
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Heren B&B for 3 nights in January 2013. It was one of the best places we've ever stayed in our travels. The room was just wonderful with a comfy bed, plenty of room, a large window overlooking the back courtyard and an extremely good bathroom. Breakfast was incredible with a large range of yummy foods and freshly made poffertjes everyday. Vlad welcomed us to breakfast everyday and gave us heaps of hints & tips about what to see and do in the city. The location of the B&B is great, easy walking distance from Amsterdam Central train station and accessible to all the main sights & attractions. It's located on one of the nicest canals in Amsterdam as well. Vlad & Ken run a very good B&B and I highly recommend staying at either of their B&B's (Heren or Maes). Review written by a couple of very happy Australians!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Rocketdoggie
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I travelled solo in early Oct 2012. Previous to booking in I did a lot of research into B&B's in Amsterdam. All other reviews of Heren's B&B were great and the pictures delightful. I was SO glad I also booked in here. I had a front downstairs bedroom (off the main kitchen near the lounge room). Because I was at the front I had 2 high windows for light to stream into the room. One of the windows was acutally the original door the servants would have used to access the home, the other window was not large but good for light and a feeling of space. Strategically placed plants both inside and outside gave complete privacy while not making you feel closed in. Curtains also for evening. You didn't have a view as such from the room, but the lounge was just upstairs. Steep stairs yes, but that is part of the fun of being there. They certainly were not unmanageable and at 50+ I was easily able to carry my suitcase up them.

My room had an enormouse bathroom with separate shower, large bath with additional hand held shower attachment. The bath was an absolute luxury and perfect for soaking in and resting tired feet and legs. I loved the deeply frosted/opaque windows around the bathroom; gave light from the room without having to put on lights. The door to the bedroom was also deeply frosted but it lead onto a short hallway to the room itself so you did not feel as though your privacy was an issue.
'My room' is in some of the photos of Heren's - it is the orange decorated room, or some may say the budha room. It was beautifully decorated and while I would not usually say I would go for orange, it was more accents of this colour. Plenty of space for hanging clothes and shelves as well. (It would be fine for 2 people, for 1, most of the space was not used).
I had a peak into the back downstairs room and it was just as large - spied a comfortable arm chair in that room, its bathroom was not quite as large and it had 2 large skylights with blinds. The downstairs rooms with the toilet outside the room must be on the other side of the house, downstairs from the dinning room.
The absolutely only thing I was not totally OK about was that when I booked, I booked through Heren's website, but Ken & Vlad were not able to tell me if I would be in Heren's or Maes B&B (they own about 4 properties all very close together). I booked through Heren's as that was where I wanted to be. I also sent an email asking not to be in a room with skylights as the only window source and that I really wanted to be in Herens. I am sure they took these requests into account as I was where I wanted to be and in a room that suited me. I would suggest that you do make it clear as to what you want. I had a feeling that the rooms upstairs were kept for at least 2 people. A returning couple I met there were in an upstairs room when they had previously been downstairs.
I arrived early and my room was ready. Vlad took my bag and lead me back to Heren's giving me loads of info about the area as we walked. Tips I took - especially regarding cafes/restaurants. Although these are plentiful in the area. I loved sharing breakfast with others where we traded information and plans for the day. This shared atmosphere continued once we returned at the end of the day and only once (my first night) did I eat by myself at night. This is one of the HUGE bonuses of staying here - especially for a single person.
I must mention Jason - he prepared breakfast for us and what a wonderful event this was. He was very helpful and friendly and very quick to respond to requests. I thankyou very much.
I loved my stay and will definitely return here when next able to holiday in Amsterdam.
AND the weather was superb - 5 days, no rain, but plenty of sun!

Room Tip: Be clear if you want to stay in Heren's or Maes. Downstairs at the front has windows with reall...