“great location to walk anywhere (or take tram)”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Heren Bed & Breakfast Amsterdam
Ranked #102 of 329 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“great location to walk anywhere (or take tram)”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Like others, after thorough research of the mulitude of A'dam B+Bs, we chose this place.It keeps all its promises and delivers in addition. Yummy breakfast. Step out obto the cobble stone strret by the gracht. Really nice. The location near the old quarter, the joordan is excellent. Hope to go back some day,

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank uschi_is_umatravels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Upon arrival, we were impressed with the great location and beautiful house. Its right on the canal and easy walking distance to the train station and the main square. Its a bit of a hike down to the museums but easily doable. They didn't have the room with initially booked available so they upgraded us to the apartment suite. The breakfast was amazing! The rooms were well appointed and comfortable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lizz0r
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Heren B&B for 3 nights in January 2013. It was one of the best places we've ever stayed in our travels. The room was just wonderful with a comfy bed, plenty of room, a large window overlooking the back courtyard and an extremely good bathroom. Breakfast was incredible with a large range of yummy foods and freshly made poffertjes everyday. Vlad welcomed us to breakfast everyday and gave us heaps of hints & tips about what to see and do in the city. The location of the B&B is great, easy walking distance from Amsterdam Central train station and accessible to all the main sights & attractions. It's located on one of the nicest canals in Amsterdam as well. Vlad & Ken run a very good B&B and I highly recommend staying at either of their B&B's (Heren or Maes). Review written by a couple of very happy Australians!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Rocketdoggie
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I travelled solo in early Oct 2012. Previous to booking in I did a lot of research into B&B's in Amsterdam. All other reviews of Heren's B&B were great and the pictures delightful. I was SO glad I also booked in here. I had a front downstairs bedroom (off the main kitchen near the lounge room). Because I was at the front I had 2 high windows for light to stream into the room. One of the windows was acutally the original door the servants would have used to access the home, the other window was not large but good for light and a feeling of space. Strategically placed plants both inside and outside gave complete privacy while not making you feel closed in. Curtains also for evening. You didn't have a view as such from the room, but the lounge was just upstairs. Steep stairs yes, but that is part of the fun of being there. They certainly were not unmanageable and at 50+ I was easily able to carry my suitcase up them.

My room had an enormouse bathroom with separate shower, large bath with additional hand held shower attachment. The bath was an absolute luxury and perfect for soaking in and resting tired feet and legs. I loved the deeply frosted/opaque windows around the bathroom; gave light from the room without having to put on lights. The door to the bedroom was also deeply frosted but it lead onto a short hallway to the room itself so you did not feel as though your privacy was an issue.
'My room' is in some of the photos of Heren's - it is the orange decorated room, or some may say the budha room. It was beautifully decorated and while I would not usually say I would go for orange, it was more accents of this colour. Plenty of space for hanging clothes and shelves as well. (It would be fine for 2 people, for 1, most of the space was not used).
I had a peak into the back downstairs room and it was just as large - spied a comfortable arm chair in that room, its bathroom was not quite as large and it had 2 large skylights with blinds. The downstairs rooms with the toilet outside the room must be on the other side of the house, downstairs from the dinning room.
The absolutely only thing I was not totally OK about was that when I booked, I booked through Heren's website, but Ken & Vlad were not able to tell me if I would be in Heren's or Maes B&B (they own about 4 properties all very close together). I booked through Heren's as that was where I wanted to be. I also sent an email asking not to be in a room with skylights as the only window source and that I really wanted to be in Herens. I am sure they took these requests into account as I was where I wanted to be and in a room that suited me. I would suggest that you do make it clear as to what you want. I had a feeling that the rooms upstairs were kept for at least 2 people. A returning couple I met there were in an upstairs room when they had previously been downstairs.
I arrived early and my room was ready. Vlad took my bag and lead me back to Heren's giving me loads of info about the area as we walked. Tips I took - especially regarding cafes/restaurants. Although these are plentiful in the area. I loved sharing breakfast with others where we traded information and plans for the day. This shared atmosphere continued once we returned at the end of the day and only once (my first night) did I eat by myself at night. This is one of the HUGE bonuses of staying here - especially for a single person.
I must mention Jason - he prepared breakfast for us and what a wonderful event this was. He was very helpful and friendly and very quick to respond to requests. I thankyou very much.
I loved my stay and will definitely return here when next able to holiday in Amsterdam.
AND the weather was superb - 5 days, no rain, but plenty of sun!

Room Tip: Be clear if you want to stay in Heren's or Maes. Downstairs at the front has windows with reall...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank TracyLane
United States
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My wife and I spent two days here in September, in the same downstairs room as the previous reviewer. We too were surprised to find the toilet was not in our room, but in a small bathroom just outside the door. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of. I’m guessing most, if not all of the other rooms were fully en-suite. Something I’m sure you could enquire about when making reservations.

As the previous reviewer also mentioned the doors (at least downstairs) were of a frosted glass. We actually found that helpful as the hallway light let in just enough light so they we could find our way around if we got up at night, since the room was pitch black otherwise with the shade closed on the skylight. You could hear the guests in the other room when they were in the hall, as I’m sure they heard us, but we didn’t have any issues during the night. As in any B&B or hotel, you are somewhat at the mercy of your neighbors.

As others have mentioned, the entire place has been recently remodeled and is very state of the art. It was also a nice surprise to find a PC available. While we were traveling with a tablet PC, it was so much easier to go through our e-mails on a regular PC. Wi-Fi was available as well.

The location is very handy, central to many of the sites and an easy walk from the train station. Breakfast was great, especially the Danish pancakes, so be sure to try those if you get a chance. We didn’t get to meet Ken, but Vlad was very helpful, checking us in and giving advice on where to eat, when to visit the Anne Frank house, and when rain was expected during the day.

As with all the other reviews, this is a great place to stay in Amsterdam, and one that we would definitely pick again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank WhereAreWe?
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The Heren is a beautiful 17th century canal house that, although completely modernized inside, retains all of its beauty and charm. My wife and I stayed there for 3 nights and were glad we did. We had one of the two bedrooms downstairs. It's quite large, with a comfortable bed and a beautiful open bathroom with a great shower. Unfortunately, there's no toilet. You have to go out into the hall to find the private toilet that's just for that room. This was somewhat of an inconvenience. In addition, the doors to the two rooms downstairs are partially glass and poor noise insulators, so when our neighbor came home late one night and struggled to unlock his door, we could easily hear him cursing under his breath. There are no windows in the room, but there are two skylights which bring in quite a bit of light and have remote control shutters.

Breakfast was terrific. Vlad is a great host and the people he and his partner Ken have employed were friendly and very competent. The guests eat around one large table, which is conducive to conversation. We met some very nice people there.

The Heren is located in a great spot. it's about a 5 to 8 minute walk to the train station and no more than 15 minutes to the Anne Frank House. It's a little farther to the museums, but very walkable there as well. There are plenty of good restaurants nearby.

We would definitely stay at the Heren again, but we might ask for a room upstairs with the bathroom en suite.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Midwood
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed September 3, 2012

What a terrific place. We spent the nights of August 17 - 21 at the Heren. All of the positive reviews are right on: wonderful location for a tourist; 5 minute walk to the train station; quiet at night; a variety of tasty foods for breakfast; charming living room overlooking the canal; availability of the kitchen and dining room; food is available in the frig and cupboard, which came in handy for our early departure, and yes, Vlad is the perfect host. One thing that I have not seen mentioned in other reviews is asking Vlad to book a taxi to the airport. That way, you get good service and you will save money. My wife and I thank you, Vlad, for sharing your house with us. My wife and I enthusiastically recommend the Heren. And by the way, we are in are mid to late 60;s, and we did not find the stairs to be a problem.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple