“Fantastic service, great location, great value”
Review of Hotel Verdi

Hotel Verdi
Ranked #200 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed May 28, 2009

I absolutely loved my stay here. The staff was on top of everything, very helpful and engaging. My room was clean and had a shower in it, with the toilet on the next floor up. Quiet at all times. The tram stop is immediately down the block.

I'd read some prior reviews, most were relatively positive but had hints of people complaining about it being too basic, needing more amenities, etc... Yes, it is basic, but that's what you signed up for when you booked it. I knew in advance I had a shared toilet and, while I thought I knew what to expect for 50 Euros a night, I was wrong - I got better.

This is a city where a pancake breakfast costs like 10 euros. Anyone who isn't satisfied with this hotel at this price is unreasonable and unrealistic and probably a bit of an elitist. There's a Marriot down the street, close to Leidsiplein - let me know how much that runs you.

The staff were the best part. They are all family, and the father is the proprietor, with his daughters working as well. They were 100% helpful and accommodating to me at all times, from offering directions, internet, an electric converter, letting me have a late checkout for a nominal fee, and so on.

If you want a clean, friendly hotel in a GREAT location, PLEASE bring these folks your business. It's well worth it.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank asp8188

Reviewed May 27, 2009

I stayed at the Verdi with my ten year old son. We picked it for its price and location (near the Van Gogh Museum) as this was the main reason for the trip. We had a double room, which was very clean and comfortable, although there was a strange smell throughout. The door to the en suite bathroom didn't close properly, but we had a TV and the beds were very comfortable. Some rooms have shared bathrooms, so if this isn't for you, ask for a room with a private one. The staff that we met were friendly if slightly aloof, but they gave us good directions. The breakfast was plentiful, cold meats and cereal etc, and the hotel is within walking distance of many attractions. Overall? Basic, clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 6, 2009

I had the "basic single" room on the top floor. It was a small room that was stuffed with a twin bed (in good shape--firm and comfortable), a narrow wardrobe, a sink, and a small desk mostly occupied by a TV and hot-water kettle. The bed was tucked under a dormer window, so the wall sloped in over my head--not good if you like to read sitting up in bed, but I didn't care. The room and neighborhood were quiet. The only noticeable annoyance was the complete lack of a place to hang my damp towel.

The shower was in a room in the hall, and the toilet was down one flight of stairs. I never had to wait for access to either. Breakfast was bread, some cornflakes, what I think were hardboiled eggs, and the usual thin-sliced cheese and meats.

I paid 55 euros for the room, which seemed to be a good deal for such a location. There was no public wifi.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 16, 2009

I came to the Verdi with mixed expectations. I can be a bit of a hotel snob and was a bit nervous about what to expect. I knew the location would be good but I was unsure about the accommodation given some of the previous reviews listed on this site.

My fears were quickly put to rest by the girl at the front desk, part of the charming Japanese family who own the hotel. I was shown to my room - clean and simple with comfy beds - a good strong shower (important to me as I have long and thick hair and water pressure is often something hotels don't get right) and great curtains which kept the room nice and dark for sleeping - but when pulled the room was suffused with light.

Yes, the stairs are very steep here but there is a good handrail - a must after a couple of glasses of wine!

Yes, the location is excellent and it is a lovely neighbourhood and extremely convenient to get to from the airport. An added bonus is that the 197 bus from Schiphol (every 15 mins 24 hours a day - directly out front of the airport (stop 13b I think...) except every 30 mins between 1am and 5am) takes less than 30 mins & costs only 3 euros (they may try to charge 4.70 - but the journey to the Museumplein stop is only 3 -- a bargain!). Anyway, the bus stop is directly outside the Concertgebouw and less than 3 minutes walk from the Verdi. The return bus stop is just slightly before the Concertgebouw and equally close.

Yes, the hotel is not luxurious but it does offer some thoughtful touches. The room was kept scrupulously clean, we had everything we needed, our questions were answered thoughtfully and the prices were reasonable.

No, I didn't try the breakfast but I know that coffee and toast and fruit were made available & I expect there may have been other choices too. There is an Albert Heijn grocery store right on the museumplein so we bought some provisions and stored them in the little fridge provided in our room. It was nice to have this available.

The hotel caters to many of the musicians who appear at the Concertgebouw & the dining room is a testament to these 'regulars' whose concert posters and personal messages line the walls. (BTW - potentially interesting fact - concertgebouw tickets include a surcharge to cover pre concert drinks and interval drinks - house white and red wine are free, as are coffee and beer - only champagne and premium wines have a cost -- didn't know this before!)

I think that there was free wifi in the hotel because our friend was using his iphone and mentioned something to the effect that this was another reason he enjoyed the hotel.

I ended up at the Verdi because other friends I was meeting in Amsterdam had booked it. I would definitely consider staying there when I am next in Amsterdam because I really liked the family and their commitment to making us comfortable. I found them incredibly warm and kind - in short, excellent hosts!

Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alicarrmiller
Reviewed April 21, 2008

We arrived on Friday at two and was greeted by a wonderful Japanese lady who dealt with us in a calm and friendly manner even to the point of dealing with our extra party member with the minimum of fuss even though she was fully booked she found him a spare bed in one of our rooms.
the rooms were clean and spacious with a T.V plenty of storage for clothes. decorated in a contempory style with a strong Asian element, the beds were very comfortable after a long day and believe me if you decide to do the tour of Amsterdam you will be happy to sleep in these beds.
breakfast was typical continental style, cold meats cheese, cereal, fruit etc, coffee tea fruit juice served from 0800 to 1000 the dining room was bright and sufficant for the number of guest but with 9 big burly blokes it soon became crowded. Mooky the cat was always present and made a nice touch with his white whiskers and black fur.

The stairs were typical Dutch stairs steep and narrow but that only added to the charm, but needs to be mentioned if you have big feet like me or have a disablity.

overall a great place to stay very calm and peaceful after a long day or night.

• Stayed: April 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank rig1963
Reviewed April 2, 2007

We had no problems with the Hotel Verdi at all. The room although basic was clean and a nice place to crash out. The location is good in a quiet nice part of town, although maybe a bit far out if your not too keen on walking, however the trams round the corner are every few mins to take you all over the city (10 mins to RLD or Cent Station) and Liedesplien with loads of bars & restaurants is only a 5 min walk away. The owners of the hotel are really friendly and the old lady even did us some ironing for our night out - Now thats hospitallity! I'd recommend the Hotel Verdi to anyone and I will sure be back on my next trip to Amsterdam!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank TheHannans
Reviewed October 25, 2006

Three girls from the UK in Amsterdam for the ING Marathon.

The Verdi serves a perfect base for a weekend break with friends or while on a budget. Go elsewhere if wanting luxury or a romantic get away as bedrooms are basic.

Quiet and pretty location at the heart of the art quarter. Trams near-by with great access to centre, trains etc. Very friendly Japanese family still running the Verdi - traditional style building with steep steep steps.

Decor is colourful and charming in a cluttered sort of way at ground level. Upstairs the decor is much more simple and hostel like.

Rooms - our room for three was cluttered with furniture, but sheets were crisply clean and towels changed daily. Shower-room was small but very modern and sparklingly clean.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank SophieHazan