“Excellent location but awful rooms”

Amsterdam Hostel Centre
Ranked #327 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights and it's the perfect location if you want to go out at night in Amsterdam - less than a 5 minute walk away from the best nightlife. Friendly staff. Wifi only worked in reception. Rooms were very small and our dorm for 5 was very cramped and the toilets and showers weren't very clean. However if you're planning to go out this is a good hostel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Amsterdam Hostel Centre

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We went on interrail, and this was definitely the worst hostel we've stayed at during our trip. Being 5, we booked a 6 people dorm, but then we found out we would have been 7 and a mattress had been placed on the floor for the new guest. Then, the lockers didn't work with our normal locks and if you wanted to use them you had to rent a lock at the reception (obviously paying). We couldn't pay with a credit card but only cash and the receptionist gave us no receipt at all. Then when we left we asked if we could leave our luggage there for the afternoon (as you do in every hostel in the world) and they said no...crazy. So, my advice is to book in another hostel and STAY AWAY from this place!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 10, 2013

The hotel had lovely and helpful staff, who even happily replace your key card for you when you loose it at 3am on nights out and wake up the whole hostel trying to find it. Tiny winding stairs also make being drunk difficult, but youre going to get that everywhere in amsterdam. proper tiny toilet but its frequently cleaned. warm showers. cosy bed. we had a balcony! right next to loads of restaurants and bars, including a veggie place. right next to a tram stop. one problem, no kitchen, and if you want a mug of hot water you have to pay 50c, which was ridiculous. hot water should obviously be free. free wifi which reached my room which was on the 4th floor.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

We had booked to stay here was two nights, but had trouble getting in Paris and arrived early the morning after we were meant to arrive. The hostel manager let us into our room at 6am because we had to pay for the night before, they were not rude about it and extremely helpful.

The room itself is small, but clean. The rooms can be stuffy but the manager came and turned on the fan to air the room out!

The staff were lovely, friendly an helpful.

We enjoyed our stay, the beds comfortable, there are lockers to put your valuables (bring a padlock though) and the doors are secure!

For your travelling backpackers, this is a good place to stay!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed May 8, 2013

So first, the hostel rooms are tiny. Too tiny for an average sized person. Bathrooms are also tiny, there's about 5 inches from the toilet to the door, which is not enough at all. The showers flood, and are basically closets with tiles on them. The place was quite dirty, and didn't feel very hospitable. There are no common areas and no kitchen. It's a decent location, around a 20 minute walk to Amsterdam center. I had no incident with the staff, though I only interacted with them once.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Location is great, but for the price you pay you don't get a kitchen, the shower is basically a cupboard and so are the toilets. There's also no communal area (well except for the reception) but that's tiny and you wouldn't wanna hang out there. Rooms are tiny and overcrowded, staff were ok to me but I fully believe the other reviews. So many better places if you shop around !!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We booked a room for 5 people. I received an email a few days prior asking for a credit card to hold the room which I gave. When we arrived, we were told they only accepted cash, which we paid in full.

It was 5pm on Queens day and our friends were in the hostel when the rude receptionist insisted that we were trying to sneak people in our room and threatened to charge us if we continued "lying." First of all, it was 5pm on Queens day so obviously none of us had the intention of going to bed yet. We simply were dropping our belongings off before heading to dinner. This was the first red flag as I am not used to being threatened and yelled at.

There were two girls in our party and we were in the room when, without warning, our room door burst open and the same short-tempered receptionist (who was a man) came storming in, yelling and asking who had thrown water out of the window? I have no idea why he would accuse of us doing this as we obviously had not thrown anything out of the window, perhaps from the beginning he simply wished for an excuse to clear out the room because they were overbooked? Furthermore, what if we had been changing or indecent? I felt extremely uncomfortable that he would barge into the room without even knocking as we have females in the room. After accusing us of throwing water out of the room, the man preceded to yell at us, telling us to get out of the hostel and that we wouldn't get any money back. We were extremely confused as we hadn't done anything wrong. He picked up our luggage and threw it out the room door.

In the lobby, two of our group members, quite confused and indignant, simply asked the hostel owners why we were kicked out, and that their accusations were unfounded.

At that point, we were physically assaulted. One of the hostel workers had my friend in a headlock and they proceeded to push us with their arms and verbally abuse us. My friend's neck was left bruised and scratched. I filmed a video and when the workers noticed, they grabbed my phone which I was lucky to get back (they obviously knew they would be in big trouble as none of our party fought back and the hostel workers were clearly the aggressors). I was in the hallway at the exit when one of the workers attacked me (I'm a female), and he put me in a headlock. I've never been manhandled like that in my life and when we all got outside, we immediately called the police.

I would NEVER recommend this hostel to anyone. To this day, I still do not understand why we were treated with such hostility and wrongly accused of defenestration. I asked the police if this was the first incident reported at this hostel, and they said no, there had been complaints about the owners/workers before. This didn't surprise me.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends