“Scam do not go there!!!! DO NOT” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Lloyd Hotel & Cultural Embassy

You added Lloyd Hotel & Cultural Embassy to your Saves list
Lloyd Hotel & Cultural Embassy
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oostelijke Handelskade 34, 1019 BN Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Eastern Docklands (Oostelijk Havengebied))   |
Ranked #116 of 357 Hotels in Amsterdam
Melbourne, Australia
“Scam do not go there!!!! DO NOT”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

When I first arrived at the hotel the service was blunt and rude. They asked for either my credit card details or my a deposit of 100 euros. As I was unable to afford to give 100 euros I gave them my card details. They immediately withheld the money on my card and are now refusing to give it back for two weeks on the terms that there is any damage present. I am absolutely disgusted by this as an Australian traveller and feel as though I have been robbed. The room was creepy and the hallways were like I was staying at a prison camp. I stayed in a two star room which for the price I thought would be decent, unfortunately it wasn't. The hotel is no clear with their information, and as an Australian traveller I would not recommend ANYONE go there!!!! SCAMMERS!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Tiffany I

Lexington, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I have never reviewed a hotel in my life, nor have I ever stayed at such a creepy and disgusting place. I arrived on a morning flight from the States and reception told me my room was already ready. I was very excited to have a room so early as this is rarely the case. The man at the reception mentioned the room was very nice and had a large kitchen, which I thought was strange, but ignored. I received the key and made my way down the institutional hallway which was slightly unnerving. I opened the door to my room and was shocked to see it was in fact just a kitchen, and incredibly industrial kitchen. It took me several minutes find the bed as it was built into what appeared to be a large pantry off the side of the kitchen, the room was also not made up. I went back to reception to tell them it was dirty and I wouldn't be staying in the kitchen with the closet bed. I asked for a more traditional room and was told I'd have to come back at 3 for normal check in. My second room, which I wasn't actually given the key to until 4 after I spent an hour sitting in the reception waiting for, was on the first floor and down a long winding hallway which reminded me of a jail. The room was both dirt and just plain gross. The bedside lights didn't work no the only over head light was the sort you'd put in your garage. My bathroom had an open concept shower and the entire bathroom smelled of mold. There were no tissues and not a single conveience item in the room. As a single young woman traveling alone I was also uncomfortable with the location and frankly some of the staff. I don't know what was going on in the halls all night buti couldn't lock my door and I was awoken several times thinking someone was coming into my room because the noise was so loud. I wanted to call reception at 3 am to ask if security was walking the halls because it sounded as though someone was pacing, but there was not room phone. I was so disgusted I asked to have a refund for two of the three nights I had booked but I was refused. I would recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. The advertising is so false I plan on calling me credit card company to see if they can get a refund.

Room Tip: Do not book any room!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank lcurtz
Redhill, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

The location of the hotel was convenient; 2 min walk away from the tram stop that takes you to the centre or any other main areas of the city in about 10 min.

When we arrived at the hotel, the receptionist was quite cold but polite. We were given 2 maps of the city and 2 keys for the room. Our room was located in the basement and it was narrow and dark. There were 2 separate single beds which we knew was a possibility, however, the beds were placed on the opposite ends of the narrow room and it was impossible to put them together. The bathroom was basic with a shower directly over the floor and there was a shower blade available to dry the floor.

The cleanliness left a lot to wish for. The room was carpeted with two smaller rugs on the top. The carpet had visible stains and was simply dirty. Both, the carpet and the rugs needed not only a deep clean but a hoover as well (the dirt in the corners built up to a very thick layer). The water from the bathroom that was building up during every shower, was leaking through to the room and wetting the carpet.

There was no kettle available in the room which should be a basic facility. Although the bed sheets and towels were changed every day, the room was not cleaned. We had some old tea cups with a bit of milk in a jug that was also getting old, which was never taken away.

The WIFI was meant to be available. That was not the case if you were in the basement. Signal was on and off (only picking up on iPad not iPhone) to the point that there was no point in using it at all. Also, beware of city tax charge at check out.

The hotel redeemed itself a little when we could leave our luggage there for couple more hours after checking out.

Also, I would advice not to buy breakfast. I heard it's quite expensive (€17 pp) and from what I saw it's just platters of some meat some cheese and some jam etc. There is a supermarket literally on the other side of the street. and with the fridge available in the room (at least the room we were in) you can save a lot of money.

Room Tip: Maybe the rooms with more stars where better than ours, but whatever the star rating the cleanliness...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Agata M
London, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Poorly designed room (bed in middle of floor surrounded by electric wires for all sorts of things, shower in middle of room too so had to get dressed on a soaking tiled floor, huge cupboard full of shelves but no wardrobe, sink with no plug so hard to shave at) - whoever designed this didn't think at all about what it would be like to stay in. Might have been reasonable value as an 'interesting' experience at 40 euros but absurd in a hotel more than 180 euros a night

• Stayed September 2013
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is great fun, all the rooms are different and have really quirky features. If you want a room with a big modern bathroom, fitted wardrobes a trouser press and a kettle don't stay here. If you would like a room that will make you smile and you don't mind being taken be surprise this is a great place. The public areas are excellent full of art and loads of interesting information to read. Breakfast is good and the staff are great.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I'm a regular guest in the Lloyd Hotel and I like it every time. I've stayed in 5,4,3 and 2 starred rooms (I've skipped the 1-star-room, with the shared bath room). All rooms are different, but all bright, clean, nice wooden floors, nice duvets. A fantastic building, great staff - can't think of things I don't like

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Utrecht, Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Every space in this hotel is surprising, unexpected and simply pretty design everywhere you look. One might say some of it is design for design's sake, losing all practically (for example; I couldn't leave my room with dry feet. But the shower is magnificent and surprisingly placed in the middle of the room, love the insect tiles). If you want to go out of the ordinary, go Lloyd. A little noisy in the weekend, that's the only real minus I can think of.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business