“Pricey for the room I got, but good location, and good staff.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Lloyd Hotel & Cultural Embassy

Lloyd Hotel & Cultural Embassy
Ranked #96 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Pricey for the room I got, but good location, and good staff.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I paid a lot for my stay, about £568 for 6 nights, which was a shock in itself. I did book just a month in advance however, but what I did not know is it was "International Business Week" during my stay and apparently this pushed the prices up. It was the most expensive hotel I have paid for for an economy room, and when I saw the small room I had I was extremely disappointed.

Luckily, I asked the staff if I could change rooms, and they gave me a bigger room which had some cupboards in, however the quality was the same in the room. Only problem was, the plug sockets were very high up, so to charge my mobile I had to stack things, and then put the mobile on the pile in order for the cable to reach. I would advise not to go for an economy (1 Star) room, and go for a 2 or 3 star instead.

There were shared showers which I don't like so much but it wasn't so bad as they were clean I never had to wait, and if I did, I just looked for a shower on a different floor.

Would I go back? Yes! The staff were very pleasant and helpful. The location of the hotel was fine for me, Tram 26 straight to town. Next time I book though I will choose a 2nd or 3rd class room at least. When I needed to get to the airport the trams had stopped due to works, which would have been a problem had I not left with hours to spare.

Supermarkets were near, there is a c1000 and also an Albert Hein (better supermarket) on the same strip and the staff (as well as most dutch people in fact) speak excellent English.

I rate the staff as a 5 (very polite and helpful) and the location 4 (it's a nice area) but overall I give 3 stars because of the room i got for the high price. I hope to get a better deal next time, so when i return to Amsterdam I will check out prices well in advance.

Room Tip: Best to choose a room at the back if you can as there is a club at the front, that sometimes has lou...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed just one night as we were driving up to Berlin. Good location, loved the walk to the centre (took us 20 minutes with 2 kids in tow) Really want to live in the loft apartments you see en route. Our stay coincided with Gay Pride weekend, fab atmosphere but given we had the kids with us we were sooooo glad we were staying out of the city centre. The Lloyd was so calm and peaceful, was fascinated by the history, staff really helpful as we wanted to leave various bags etc. Would have been five stars but breakfast was expensive (but very good) for a family of four. We would definitely stay here again when in Amsterdam. Ps Tapas restaurant directly opposite was lovely and very reasonable just can't remember it's name.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I keep returning to the Lloyd Hotel. Each time I'm in Amsterdam. That, in itself, is the ultimate review. I have stayed there at least six times and I still enjoy it.

I like the history. An emigrant hotel on the edge of Europe. The last stop for emigrants before embarking for the New World.

I like the concept. A design hotel that caters for all classes of travellers under one roof. From dormitory-type rooms with shared bathrooms to five star style.

I've tried several different rooms and each is strangely appealing. Long and narrow with interesting space management solutions. Always with that uniquely Dutch, funky design angle.

The restaurant is the weak link in the chain. Friendly, but sometimes dodgy service. Too many forgotten orders. Too many times trying to wave down a server. Lovely food, but this is where my rating only reaches four and not five.

Fix this, and it's all brilliant. Oh, and I absolutely love the duvets in the rooms, which are available for purchase, too.

Room Tip: Go for a view of the canal.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We had a very good experience at this hotel. The staff were very helpful and friendly and the food was excellent! Even though the hotel is located away from the city center, it is still only 5 minutes away (by walk) from the tram line 10 and 26 stop. So it is easy to get to and from the main areas of the city. The rooms were clean and tidy. Since we were on the 5th floor, our room had a great view (not that this was important as we were touring the city most of the time). The wifi signal was very good. The surrounding area was quiet and fairly breezy. If I were to go back to Amsterdam anytime, I would certainly stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the lifts because all the lifts are only on one side of the hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a great history and breathes art and design. We loved all the funky details in the room, but the big piano and a giant bed which could sleep a family of eight was probably the best surprise. Although the hotel is a bit outside the centre, it is very well connected with public transportation. The restaurant with terras is a nice place to invite and meet friends and also the little museum and library made this a very interesting and unique place

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Meesterkunst
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Really enjoyed my three nights at the Lloyd Hotel. The hotel has a fascinating history and that history is reflected throughout the building. It's a unique place in that there are rooms at every star level. While I stayed in a very good 3 star room, the 4 and 5 star rooms are really lovely (got to peak at a few of them). However, there is definitely a variety in the quality of the room at the same star level (my room has nicer than my colleague's.) The breakfast was delicious, but pricey if not included in your room rate. Highlight is the lovely patio, which is a quiet oasis (though not on the water). The location is near a good supermarket and well serviced by trams, but is out of the city centre so there are few good bars or restaurants nearby. Free wifi is strong and fast.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Two nights in a 3 star room, I felt a little on the pricey side for a basic room, however I appreciate it was a UK bank holiday and the hotel was busy.
The hotel is definitely quirky, and although these features do not engender a luxury feel they do at least make you feel it is a different experience.
Staff and service very good although I did not eat there, not least because of the E17.50 breakfast price.
Room quite basic but spotless. Clothes storage would have been a big problem had I not been rooming alone whist travelling in a group. Six open hangers on hooks on the roof beam and no drawers is not adequate, although it did at least amuse me at first.
Location - quite far out of the city, a long and dreary walk into town, however the adjacent tram station and tram service proved to be excellent. Immediate locality is pretty drab residential, not improved by the café/bar over the road by the water with a limited omelette-only breakfast menu.
It is worth bearing in mind it is expensive to get to and from the Lloyd by taxi from the airport, but it does offer a fairly unique experience in a quiet location away from the bustling city centre, and the staff were very tolerant of 13 English men dressed in full Arab sheikh gear for the ensuing stag celebration in town.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends