In 2007 I stayed at Hotel Misc for the first time, and for the last six years I could never imagine staying anywhere else. I can't say enough about this hotel and most of all, the owners, Rachel and Pepeijn, They are largely responsible for the way I feel about Amsterdam and the reason I go there so frequently. I usually travel alone and they provide a truly safe and comfortable haven for me. There is just no substitute for the kind of hospitality and personal attention I receive every single time I visit. But I’ll give you a few. During one of my most recent visits (February 2013) I was staying at one of Rachel and Pepeijn’s rental apartments and I got very ill about two days after my arrival. When I told Rachel, she hopped on her bike and brought me a bag full of supplies so that I didn’t have to venture out to the grocery store. On multiple occasions (in fact, I have a habit of doing this), I decide to extend my trip by one or two days and if the hotel and apartments are booked, Rachel & Pepeijn make it their business to find me a place to stay that is near them and reasonably priced. They simply take their guests’ comfort and satisfaction extremely seriously and they will do whatever it takes to make you feel like you are home.
As for the more practical reasons why I stay at Misc…
Location: The hotel is centrally located and only a two minute walk from the Niewmarkt Square Metro station and about 15 minutes walking distance from Central Station. The Red Light District (RLD) is just a city block over and unlike what some may think or say, it is extremely safe. In fact, you don’t even notice how close you are to the RLD until you just bump into it. I’ve walked through it many times and I’ve never had any problems. In fact, it’s quite entertaining.
Rooms: I've stayed in almost every room available and each of them is unique and full of charm. The mini fridge is a great plus. It’s stocked daily with snacks, water, soft drinks, and beer; all FREE. And as a woman, I always appreciate and love the beautiful and unique fresh flower arrangement in each room. Depending on the time of year, the canal view rooms are a bit more noisy than the garden view rooms. But if you go on new years or Queens Day, like I did, you should expect that anywhere you stay. On the flip side, you have a front row seat to the street parties and excellent people watching. I guess it’s all about how you chose to look at it.
Breakfast: This is honestly one of my favorite things about the hotel. The breakfast is delicious. Freshly squeezed orange juice, eggs made to order, ham, bacon, cheeses, freshly baked breads and croissants, and a lot more. You almost don’t even need to eat lunch. The dining area is quaint and a great place to meet the other hotel guests. It truly feels like a small community.
Tours/Activities: Rachel and Pepijn can and have arranged all kinds of tours on my behalf, including a canal boat tour and getting museum tickets. They also have their very own Hotel Misc bikes that you can use to explore the city. **Ask Pepijn about the best apple pie in town...
In closing, I consider myself lucky to have stumbled upon this little gem of a hotel, Rachel and Pepeijn.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Misc eatdrinksleep is a lovely little hideaway located on a wide canal, close to the picturesque Nieuwmarkt Square, in the heart of the historic city centre of Amsterdam. This modernized 17th-century canal house features just six personally styled rooms. Each is a unique mix of style, charm and practicality, and overlooks either the canal or a fetching Amsterdam secret garden. We offer exceptional hospitality for the cultural pilgrim, the hopeless romantic and weary business traveler alike. We hope that our unique canal house hotel becomes your home away from home in Amsterdam! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your misc eatdrinksleep reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Misc Eatdrinksleep Amsterdam
- Misc Eatdrinksleep Hotel Amsterdam