PhilDutch Amsterdam Bed and Breakfast
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$271
$420
$223
$193
  • Restaurant
Ibis Amsterdam Centre Stopera(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
$174
$154
  • Bar/Lounge
WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
$260
$236
Agoda.com
WestCord Art Hotel Amsterdam(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
$202
$122
$272
$262
$291
$213
  • Restaurant
XO Hotels Park West(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
$153
$123
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 1, 2010

Booked two nights on April 23, 2010. Tried to confirm 3 times in August, asked him to cancel my last email. No reply from efrin (zero for 3). Very unfortunate, given the city is sold out 9/11 weekend. Very disappointed. Have to stay in Antwerp now an 1 hour and 15 away. He better not try and charge my card!!

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mike205russo
PhilDutchHouseboat, Owner at PhilDutch Amsterdam Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2010

Dear Sir/ Ma'am,

Thank you for the review but honestly I don't remember you. It's impossible for me not to reply to your E-Mail because I always check my E-Mails.

I remember another person complaining about her booking but they booked the Booking Agency and I can reply to that booking agency within 48 Hours.

Again, if you did not receive the confirmation letter then of course your not officially booked with us.

Don't worry about your credit card because I never charged the credit card anyway... but again I hope you did not used the booking agency?

Please E-Mail me again so that I can investigate your problem but be sure to use my own website and my own E-Mail address.

I hope to hear from you.

PhilDutch Owner

Reviewed August 12, 2010

We have stayed on houseboats our last 4 trips to Amsterdam. For the traveler looking for a different experience,there is nothing like being on a houseboat. There is a great little terrace where you can just watch the boats go by. There is a full kitchen,large bathroom,one small bedroom with TV and refrig. The main room includes the kitchen,eating area,two beds together. The eating area has a large window looking onto the canel. The refrig was full of everything you could want for breakfast. Efren's boat is well stocked .Visiting Efren's houseboat is like staying at a friends house.All attractions are nearby. There are cafes,resturants,and coffee shops, all within a few blocks from the boat. If you are on a budget,or looking for a new travel experience,this may be the place for you.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mikestravels68
Reviewed May 11, 2010

I made a reservation back in February and now less than 2 weeks before I am scheduled to stay there I get a notice that my reservation has been cancelled. Effran gave some lame excuse about needing to fix a faucet. Of course now many of the other places I would have chosen to stay are not available. This guy will ruin your vacation if you make arrangements with him. I have only reviewed one other bed and breakfast here, and I gave them the highest rating. In the US I would report his business practices to the proper legal authorities. If anyone can suggest the proper place to report him, I have saved my e-mails to send to them. And I thought the Volcano and British Airways strike were bad. Well this is the low point!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Pelagic_Gypsy
PhilDutchHouseboat, Owner at PhilDutch Amsterdam Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2010

Dear Sir,

I respect your point of view and I'm already expecting this kind of negative comment from you since you warned me already that you will write on Trip Advisor.

But please sir, you forgot to mention that I did not cancel your 3 nights stay instead only 1 night because of the supposed to be renovation in your room. I can provide some proof that I have a problem in the houseboat and need to be fix on May 27, 2010. Those kind of problem can also happen even for a 5 star hotel.

I offered you one night FREE because of this problem but you refused to accept my offer.

There's a lot of bad accussations that you mentioned in your previous E-Mails but I will not answer those issues since I understand your sentiments.

Anyway thank you sir for your review and it's up to my new client if they still want to stay in my place.

Have a nice day and God Bless your family.

PhilDutch Houseboat Owner

Reviewed April 26, 2010

not sure what is going on with this place.

I made a booking through Venere.com for Aug 2010, and asked if the houseboat would be available for just us, or would we have to share. A reasonable question I think given that the details are not clear.

My booking was canceled within hours with no explanation. Judging from the other comments/complaints, this is not rare for this place!

Stop wasting our time and add some more detailed information on your website!

Stayed: April 2010
4  Thank amcellig

Dear Sir / Maám,

This is to inform you that you booked the Hotel Booking Agency and I have the right to decline or reject the booking within 48 Hours if I'm fully booked. Meaning once you booked online it's not yet a guarantee that your booking is confirmed since I'm checking my E-Mail within 48 Hours specially those booking coming from other booking agencies.

Anyway, it's true that I live in the houseboat but my Guests can choose the accommodation wether private bathroom or shared bathroom.

Suggestion to the next Guests please book directly to my website.

Anyway if it's my fault please accept my apology.

PhilDutch Houseboat Owner

Reviewed March 16, 2010

It's very interesting staying on a houseboat-don't confuse it with staying in a hotel. You are in charge of your surroundings, your meals, and you have to clean up after yourself, which we did not find to be an issue. There is a breakfast included option, but we were more interested in trying things in the city. You can walk to many places and if you don't want to, there are trams nearby. It's kind of fun when the canal cruises pass by the window and the tourists take picures of you, the other tourists! The owner is a very nice and personable fellow and very willing to give advice on sights to see and will take the time to show you on a map where the sights are and how to get there. You have access to the internet, but no printer. Since this is not a hotel, I have to say that I would not recommend it, but only because most of my friends would prefer to be waited on rather than take care of themselves. If I were to recommend it to the public, I probably would say yes, but know what you are getting into - it's definitely not a hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple