“2 weeks on Efrens houseboat” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of PhilDutch Amsterdam Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
PhilDutch Amsterdam Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #158 of 225 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Phoenix, Arizona
“2 weeks on Efrens houseboat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

We have stayed on houseboats our last 4 trips to Amsterdam. For the traveler looking for a different experience,there is nothing like being on a houseboat. There is a great little terrace where you can just watch the boats go by. There is a full kitchen,large bathroom,one small bedroom with TV and refrig. The main room includes the kitchen,eating area,two beds together. The eating area has a large window looking onto the canel. The refrig was full of everything you could want for breakfast. Efren's boat is well stocked .Visiting Efren's houseboat is like staying at a friends house.All attractions are nearby. There are cafes,resturants,and coffee shops, all within a few blocks from the boat. If you are on a budget,or looking for a new travel experience,this may be the place for you.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mikestravels68

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Lexington, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2010

I made a reservation back in February and now less than 2 weeks before I am scheduled to stay there I get a notice that my reservation has been cancelled. Effran gave some lame excuse about needing to fix a faucet. Of course now many of the other places I would have chosen to stay are not available. This guy will ruin your vacation if you make arrangements with him. I have only reviewed one other bed and breakfast here, and I gave them the highest rating. In the US I would report his business practices to the proper legal authorities. If anyone can suggest the proper place to report him, I have saved my e-mails to send to them. And I thought the Volcano and British Airways strike were bad. Well this is the low point!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Pelagic_Gypsy
PhilDutchHouseboat, Owner at PhilDutch Amsterdam Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 17, 2010
Dear Sir,

I respect your point of view and I'm already expecting this kind of negative comment from you since you warned me already that you will write on Trip Advisor.

But please sir, you forgot to mention that I did not cancel your 3 nights stay instead only 1 night because of the supposed to be renovation in your room. I can provide some proof that I have a problem in the houseboat and need to be fix on May 27, 2010. Those kind of problem can also happen even for a 5 star hotel.

I offered you one night FREE because of this problem but you refused to accept my offer.

There's a lot of bad accussations that you mentioned in your previous E-Mails but I will not answer those issues since I understand your sentiments.

Anyway thank you sir for your review and it's up to my new client if they still want to stay in my place.

Have a nice day and God Bless your family.

Sincerely yours,

PhilDutch Houseboat Owner
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2010

not sure what is going on with this place.

I made a booking through Venere.com for Aug 2010, and asked if the houseboat would be available for just us, or would we have to share. A reasonable question I think given that the details are not clear.

My booking was canceled within hours with no explanation. Judging from the other comments/complaints, this is not rare for this place!

Stop wasting our time and add some more detailed information on your website!

Stayed April 2010
4 Thank amcellig
Dear Sir / Maám,

This is to inform you that you booked the Hotel Booking Agency and I have the right to decline or reject the booking within 48 Hours if I'm fully booked. Meaning once you booked online it's not yet a guarantee that your booking is confirmed since I'm checking my E-Mail within 48 Hours specially those booking coming from other booking agencies.

Anyway, it's true that I live in the houseboat but my Guests can choose the accommodation wether private bathroom or shared bathroom.

Suggestion to the next Guests please book directly to my website.

Anyway if it's my fault please accept my apology.

Sincerely yours,

PhilDutch Houseboat Owner
silver spring, md
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2010

It's very interesting staying on a houseboat-don't confuse it with staying in a hotel. You are in charge of your surroundings, your meals, and you have to clean up after yourself, which we did not find to be an issue. There is a breakfast included option, but we were more interested in trying things in the city. You can walk to many places and if you don't want to, there are trams nearby. It's kind of fun when the canal cruises pass by the window and the tourists take picures of you, the other tourists! The owner is a very nice and personable fellow and very willing to give advice on sights to see and will take the time to show you on a map where the sights are and how to get there. You have access to the internet, but no printer. Since this is not a hotel, I have to say that I would not recommend it, but only because most of my friends would prefer to be waited on rather than take care of themselves. If I were to recommend it to the public, I probably would say yes, but know what you are getting into - it's definitely not a hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pider1
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2010

We made our reservation with the agreement we would have the entire houseboat to ourselves. I had read all the reviews and was hesitant but went ahead and made sure I received the "confirmation" form from the owner. In January I got an email requesting our flight information. Not two weeks later, I got another email requesting the same. I was told his "secretary" sent the second email and to ignore it. A week later we received an email advising that renting the whole houseboat to ourselves was no longer an option citing there was a new policy in Amsterdam that requires the owner to stay on the houseboat during our stay. I could find nothing online to support this explanation.
Needless to say, we cancelled our reservation. It appears the owner has his reasons for needing to stay on his own boat but the explanation he gave seems very suspect to me. I prefer dealing with honest businesses. I know the owner will respond to this. It will be interesting to see what he writes.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Trvl1961
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2009

Efrin is a great host and his property is located on a quiet tree lined street next to a very pretty canal. It is very clean and cozy for solo travelers, couples with or without kids. It has a full kitchen, laundry and is located within walking distance of the trams, museums, canal boats, and lots of good restaurants and nightlife. The refrigerator is stocked with food for breakfast and lunch, and there are three markets close by. I have stayed here twice in the last year and it is a great value for Amsterdam. Not a luxury property, but very clean and well located in a safe area convienant to everything.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Manila
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2009

(I use the second person so that you, the reader, may easily take my experience as yours)

The houseboat was a fantastic place to stay. If you are looking for peace and quiet amidst the sinful city of Amsterdam, Efren's Phildutch houseboat is a highly recommended place for you. First of, the area surrounding the house was a very tranquil and peaceful neighborhood, surrounded by ducks and swans, and lovely locals. Secondly, not like the central district, there aren't any tourists walking the area, so you wouldn't be bothered by any sporadic disturbances by wasted tourists. Thirdly, unlike ordinary hotels/hostels, you are the only one and whoever is with you that occupies the houseboat. So, you get all the privacy that you want.

As for the distance between the central district and the houseboat, it takes you 15-20 minute walk. There is a tram station nearby, but I would recommend that you take a walk instead as it would let you see the great structures surrounding the city, and discover other places you rarely see in the city brochures. The famous Heineken brewery is just a five minute walk from the houseboat. If you want a cheap resto where you could take-out food, there is a five minute walk cheap Chinese resto near the house; though it is cheap, the food was really fantastic.

As for the amenities, it has everything that you could ask for - complete kitchen facilities, washing machine, superb and huge bathroom, high-speed internet connection, telephone, clean bedroom, television with cable connection, and entertainment system. What more could you ask for? There is even a veranda where you could smoke, and enjoy the lovely breeze while watching the ducks and swan go by the lake, and sometimes tourists on hop-on-hop-off boats.

Finally, Sir Efren, the host was really a great and fantastic lad. He was very hospitable and very friendly. He makes it a point that he has provided you with all that you need on your stay in his houseboat. He gives you free maps and gives you helpful tips in touring the city.

All-in-all, the houseboat gave us a really superb stay in Amsterdam. I highly recommend that you try this one for yourself.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends