“In a Class by Itself - SIMPLY THE BEST!!!”

and 1 more site!
Boogaard's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #13 of 337 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Boogard's is first class all the way and then some.

My husband and I spent 4 nights at Peter's superior B&B in the beginning of October. He spoiled us rotten from our very first minute. We arrived about 10:00AM while the lucky guests who had spent the night were sitting around the table chatting and finishing what looked like a great breakfast. We found out a couple of days latter that it was indeed one of the many wonderful breakfasts with which Peter spoils his guests - Dutch pancakes with a wide variety of fillings and toppings including, but not limited to, some of the best bacon I have ever eaten, fresh warm apple compote, fresh fruits, thick chocolate fudge, whipped cream, and I cannot remember what all else. We were lucky enough to have Peter's legendary pancakes a couple of days into our stay. Also love the really good coffee and fresh OJ.
Anyway, I'm getting off topic. Despite being in the middle of breakfast with his guests, Peter gave us a genuinely warm welcome, joked with us and asked if we would like anything at all to eat or drink. All I wanted was some really cold water as we were going out to meet up with a tour. Peter happily provided 2 glasses for me. He then asked when we would be back so that he would be sure to have our room ready. We returned about the time we said we would and our room was ready and waiting. Not only that, but our luggage (all 2 tons of it!) was up in our room! I was stunned and my husband was most appreciative. Peter's stand on the matter was that it was his job to take care of it since we were out and about on holiday. We had a serious amount of luggage.
Peter gave us an excellent map of Amsterdam - mind you NOT the kind they give you in the tourist office, but the kind that costs €5. He marked the location of our new home (we wish!) on the map as well as the areas we said we would like to visit. He also took plenty of time from his busy schedule of spoiling everyone with some suggestions as to where/what else we might like to go/do/visit. Every one of his suggestions was perfect for us. He does this for all of his guests, by the way. We were also treated to a tour of his and his partner's lovingly restored 1600's home. It is absolutely elegant and well thought out. Comfort and function play a very important part in this home away from home. Peter's private living quarters were included in our tour and I have to tell you that the quarters his guests occupy were done to the same high standards as Peter's own living quarters. His room is directly over the one we occupied, so I know it is the same size!
I am not going to repeat what so many others have already said about the layout of the floors and the location of the B&B in relation to trams, train station, and attractions. Suffice it to say that the other reviewers who cited convenient location are absolutely correct. What I will tell you is that both my husband and myself agree that we have never stayed at any B&B anywhere that even comes close to the high standards of Boogaards; and over the years we have stayed at too many to count. On this 6 week trip alone we have stayed at several that we have rated the full 5 "stars" that Trip Advisor allows. I am really upset that Trip Advisor does NOT allow for an even higher rating than "excellent". Boogaard's is head and shoulders above any B&B at which we have ever stayed - reviewed or not. I would love to have the option of rating it as "superiorly excellent" or something (maybe 10 stars) that communicates how truly superior Peter and his B&B are. Not only is Boogaard"s not on the same planet as the rest of the B&B's on earth, it is so far superior that it is not even in the same universe.
During our stay, we noticed that Peter treats all of his guests with respect and unwavering dedication and devotion to making certain that they enjoy both Amsterdam AND his wonderful home. He is honestly interested in his guests. He takes the time to sit with us at the table during breakfast and takes an active part in whatever we are all talking about. He also sits and talks with his guests in the community sitting room on the 2nd floor between the Pug room and the Jack Russell room. He manages to do this without being in the least bit intrusive. More B&B owners should be this involved with their guests.
Now for some specifics. We had the Jack Russell room at the back of the house on the 2nd floor (European) which is the 3rd floor in American. From the first minute we walked through the door of our room we felt as though we were in our own home, except for the fact that this room was decorated more nicely and was a bit cozier than our own bedroom! It was quiet and indescribably comfortable. It was not huge but certainly not small, either. There was more than enough room for us to conveniently stash our things. We had plenty of clean towels every day. We arrived on a Sunday morning and Peter made certain that we knew he would do our laundry for us. Although we did not have tons of it at this point, we took him up on his offer. I felt so at ease that I was not in the least embarrassed by my torn undies (I had packed from the wrong pile and did not have a clue until a couple of days into the trip).
Breakfasts were adventures and community affairs. There is one large table around which all of the guests eat and talk. Peter is a superb cook who truly loves to cook. His varied homemade croissants are indescribably sinfully good. His pancakes (see above) are out of this world. His quiches - well I do not even know where to begin. On our last night, Peter put a breakfast into our refrigerator for us, as we were leaving at 6:30 the next morning to catch our flight back home to the real world (read that as without Peter to spoil us!). Who does that? I am not sure I'd do that for my husband - just kidding, or maybe not.
We especially liked talking to both Peter and our fellow guests. We all came and went as though we were in our own homes , and I know that my husband and I felt as though we were. While I am on the subject of food, I think it is important to repeat what some of the other reviewers have said about what I think of as the magic refrigerator. Desserts and soft drinks and beer magically appear (free of charge!) on each room's personal shelf every day. Sometimes the desserts magically appear on the sideboard in the community sitting room. Usually these are homemade. They are always delicious. I would seriously suggest forgoing any motorized transportation while staying at Boogard's. If you don' t walk just about everywhere, you WILL get FAT! I have to say I think that holds true even if you don't eat dinner.
I forgot to mention that Peter and Tom have two absolutely adorable and extremely well behaved little dogs who sit/lie on their own chairs in the breakfast room. There is no need for concern if you are worried that they are moochers. They most definitely are NOT! They usually remain lying very quietly on their chairs. Pepe is so quiet that most people do not even realize he is in the room, myself included on our first day. Both dogs are very photogenic.

Peter, I love you for giving us such a wonderful 4 days in Amsterdam. And I hate you for spoiling us for any B&B at which we stay in the future! You are a natural at this. And your sense of humor is absolutely wonderful. You absolutely positively nailed it! You have a room with us whenever you want to return to good old Cape May. I promise I will try to spoil you as rotten as you spoiled us. I doubt I will come close; but I'll try just the same. Thank You!!!

Room Tip: We had the Jack Russell room at the back. It was quiet and our windows overlooked other houses at th...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mike P
There are newer reviews for Boogaard's Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Had a wonderful experience at Boogaards B&B in Amsterdam: Peter, the owner opens his lovely, well cared for home to guests with knowledge to share regarding restaurants, bike tours, online ticket purchases and more. Daily prepared fresh foods for late afternoon munching and wonderful breakfasts of baked goods, cereals, fruit, juice, yogurt and coffee and tea.
Bike guide recommended by Peter for my husband and me was Martin Ribbens, a local man with much to offer as we biked to attractions and heard his explanations about what we saw. Very personalized and geared to our interests.

Room Tip: 4 rooms are available in Peter's home; 2 on the second floor; 2 on the 3rd floor. Discuss with P...
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed at Boogaard’s B&B for four nights in late September, 2013. Peter Boogaard exceeded his considerable reputation for outstanding service and quality during our stay. When we left after four days, it seemed that Peter was more a friend than a business associate. He seemed to have that kind of relationship with all his guests. Peter is a great cook – he does a huge and different breakfast each morning, showcasing local and seasonal ingredients with an eye toward Dutch dishes (which aren’t tremendously different from a hearty breakfast in the USA). We dare you to eat all that he provides! He also provided baked goodies each day on “our” shelf in the refrigerator on our floor, or in the cake saver there. I don’t know where he found the time for it, but it’s obviously a labor of love. All the staff in the hotel are obviously selected because of their attitudes, because every person there was upbeat, friendly, conscientious, and service-oriented. The rooms are very clean, medium sized, well-furnished, and cozy – all under Peter’s close supervision. Peter’s workday domain is located on the first floor just by the front door, and he seemed there to welcome us and inquire about our day each time we arrived home. He was eager to ask about our plans for the day, help us to plan it, make dinner reservations at recommended restaurants, tell us about the neighborhood and how best to get around, and provide general guidance and direction – all with a genuine interest in improving our experience. He even printed boarding passes for us the night before we flew out of Amsterdam. We couldn’t recommend him higher!
Boogaard’s is located in a 16th century house, lovingly remodeled and updated inside by Peter. He will gladly explain the history of his house and show you around, if you ask (probably if you don’t). The house has been remodeled into a dwelling one room wide and three rooms deep (as originally intended). The entrance door is on the right side at the front, and immediately opens into a steep stairway leading to three floors above the ground floor, and to the left of the stairwell. The kitchen and community breakfast table are on the first floor. The second and third floors each have two rooms (one each on the front and back of the house), with a sitting room and kitchenette in the center between the rooms, and shared by the two rooms. We stayed on the second floor, where there was a fireplace, a soft sofa and chairs around it, a table with a laptop computer for guests’ use; and a kitchen area with a refrigerator, cooktop with hood, dishwasher, and cabinets loaded with: dishware (for Peter’s snacks), flatware, glasses, countertop space, a kitchen sink, and towels for the kitchen. Peter told us to rinse and place dirty dishes in the dishwasher, and his staff would run the dishwasher each day and unload it. And believe it or not, Peter has an entirely different take on the minibar and how it should operate: In the refrigerator each guest in the suite has a shelf labeled for his use. The shelf typically has several kinds of soft drinks (soda) and a can or two of beer, and maybe a personal bottle of wine. Snacks seem to appear on each shelf or on the countertop each day. And, get this, instead of charging guests for each treat that they remove from the refrigerator minibar – Peter provides them free as a service. When asked how he could do this, he replied “It’s just what we do.” He also happily provides a laundry option for guests – free and as a service – with a 12 hour turn-around time.
The third floor has the same two bedroom, shared center room arrangement, except the kitchen facilities aren’t quite as extensive. The third floor also has a door leading out one corner of it to Peter’s living quarters on the next floor above. Our room did not have air conditioning (it wasn’t needed while we were there), although I believe the other room on our floor did have an AC unit. Our room on the back was quiet and completely free of street noise - the residential street outside is so quiet and quaint that there seems to be no street noise.
This B&B is located in a great, residential neighborhood – close to most everything of interest to a tourist. Trams are only about 5 minutes walk away to get you further out, e.g. to the Rijks Museum. The rooms are fairly priced and an excellent value. Peter is the best host and hotelier that I have met in all my travels. I highly recommend Boogaard’s!
Rod Stewart - Hickory, NC USA

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Rod S
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I spent three wonderful nights at Boogaards. Peter not only provided outstanding and filling breakfasts each morning, but he also helped with restaurant ideas and reservations, directions, even taped our map back together, and helped us learn about life in the Netherlands. Everything was clean, neat, and comfortable. The location is excellent for enjoying the city of Amsterdam.

Room Tip: As with most Amsterdam houses, there are steep stairs to the rooms. We always travel lightly and ar...
Reviewed October 3, 2013

After a Rhine River cruise we spent three additional days in Amsterdam and we were really delighted with the experience. EVERY DETAIL WAS SO PROFESSIONAL. The atmosphere is perfect and welcoming and the breakfast outstanding and portions so generous we needed no lunch!!! Peter is a genuine host and thoroughly enjoys meeting people and helping others.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

I have been to the Boogaard's bed and breakfast before 7 years ago, and recently went back with my mom on another wonderful vacation!!! And after 7 years it is still by far the best bed and breakfast I have ever been to. the rooms are amazing, they are very clean, lovely décor, and the fridge is always stocked with all kinds of goodies you could dream of. Peter and Tomasz are by far the sweetest and well educated hosts you will meet, and they treat you like you are family. The breakfasts OOOOOO the breakfasts. always something new each and everyday!!! I would recommend this bed and breakfast to anyone. that is going to Amsterdam. if you want a place to relax, great food, and wonderful hospitality. this is the place to go!!! I cant thank Peter and Tomasz enough for how helpful they were to my mom and I. they have become family to us. cant wait to see them again and stay at the best bed and breakfast in Amsterdam!!!!! Thank you!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 28, 2013

My stay here was wonderful. I have always stayed here when I visit Amsterdam.the house is so lite and full of life very warm and cheery the quilted beds with lots of great pillowsinvite you to sleep. I sleep here better then anywhere else I have stayed in Europe. Peter the host is a delightful person an welcomes you with open arms. The breakfast are great and theres alot of variety to choose from I highly recomend this BedNBreakfast to anyone who wants a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: the double apt
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family