“Intimate but expensive” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #137 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
UK
“Intimate but expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2008

Stayed for a couple of nights to celebrate our tenth anniversary. The building itself is charming, but the overall experience is underwhelming.

In particular, a blocked sink, a small room, single beds and the absence of any facility to prepare a hot drink made the whole experience less 'boutique' than I had hoped. Given this was a luxury outfit, I thought maybe we were simply not expected to be able to operate a kettle and therefore called room service for two cups of tea. An hour later the order arrived.

In future I'd rather stay somewhere rather less 'boutique' and spend the excess on a couple of lavish meals whilst I'm there.

• Liked — architecture
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2008

We booked the College Hotel for two nights over our wedding in Amsterdam. From the reviews I'd read here, I was fully expecting a beautiful hotel with some poor service. However, everything was top notch from start to finish! There was always a doorman at the entrance, and we were offered 'fresh organic apple foam' while we were checking in. (I made such a fuss about how delicious it was that they gave me another one!)

The hotel was even more stunning than in the photos. We were given a tour of the hotel after we checked in, and then our luggage was taken upstairs to our incredible room. We booked the deluxe double through Mr. and Mrs. Smith, and it was HUGE, with an incredible bathroom! Everyone was so friendly while we were there. They pressed our wedding outfits for us, free of charge. They brought us apples and bottles of water every night before bed. They ordered a limousine to take us to our wedding ceremony, and took some really arty photos of us on our camera before we left.

The nicest touch was the bottle of complimentary champagne that they brought up to our room while we were getting dressed for the wedding.... with a really nice note from the front desk staff congratulating us.

The only thing I thought that was a little out of order was the price of the breakfast - 19 euros (!!!) gives you a basket of bread cheese and meats. If you want eggs, cereal or yogurt, you pay extra (up to 6 euros extra) for each item. We were planning to treat ourselves on the morning after the wedding to a breakfast in bed, but we just couldn't justify the cost! So we walked up to the Pancake Bakery instead (on Prinsengracht) which was delicious.

All in all, a wonderful stay in a beautiful hotel with really friendly staff. You'd be hard pressed to find a hotel of this quality and luxury for the same price anywhere else in Amsterdam!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jeninbrighton
halifax
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2008

As an avid 'Mr and Mrs Smith' traveller, i booked The College Hotel in Amsterdam for 1 night as a special treat for my partner.

I emailed the hotel a few months before arriving to advise them of my membership number, this would allow a free upgrade. I did not receive a reply after submitting this twice.

After a 5 hour delay (heavy snow in the UK) we arrived at the beautiful hotel, wonderful interior and wonderful ambience. We were not warmly greeted and taken to our room. I was so disappointed - very very small, a cupboard door had a toliet in and in the corner a very small shower cubicle. We had in fact been given a single room! We asked to be moved and our double room was very spacious, lovely double shower and sumptious bedding. We were offered a free drink in the bar for the inconvenience.

We opted for 'breakfast in bed' so filled in the continental option for 1030/1100 in our room. By 1130 we had showered and were chasing our coffee and breakfast. They had forgotten us. We were sent bacon panninis at 1215hrs! I'm a vegetarian! We decided to check out - i asked for a refund on our breakfast and a discount on our room. The manager asked if we enjoyed our pastry box - you guessed, what pastry box? He apologised once again and asked if we would like a drink in the bar, we asked for a coffee and a rose wine. My partner and i fell about laughing, we were sent a white wine and a pot of tea!

Wonderful building, immaculately clean, further out of the centre than we thought but such a big shame that the 'students' aren't keen, attentive and correctly guided.

Stayed March 2008
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2008

This hotel is pretty luxury standard. Everything about it is 5 star - except the staff. This is only due to all the staff being students - in the trade. With their lack of experience you can find youself in pretty laughable situations - but it doesn't detract from the great location and venue.

• Liked — Interior design
  • Disliked — Staff experience
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2008

We were in for a surprise this time visiting Amsterdam. After reading an article in Travel + Leisure on this hotel, we thought we try it out. Never encountered anything like it, and we've travelled a lot, mainly through Europe. The atmosphere is just amazing, ancient building with perfect lighting, combination of fabrics like silk and velvet make it just devine. The bar is a popular hangout for locals, and we just mingled right in! Excellent cocktails, The College Swinger was definately my favourite :-) Unfortunately we didn't have the change to dine in the restaurant, which looked amazing as well, so we had some bites in the bar. The presentation of the soup was really funny. Coming to the staff, well, they are youngsters who are being trained. We knew this beforehand and we must say, we were pleasantly surprised. We saw teenagers doing their best to please us and being trained to become professional. Very helpfull for sure. We would certainly go back here in summer, so we can try out on of their scooters they rent out! Faboulous idea!

• Liked — Atmosphere in the hotel
  • Disliked — We had a room without a bath
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2007

I have just come back from a superb four-day stay at The College Hotel. This is a stunning, luxury property, just the right size (not too big; not too small) located in an upscale, residential section of Amsterdam. It truly offers the best of both worlds. The museums and Concertgebouw are a quick five minute walk away. Trams directly, in front of the hotel, have you in city center in about 10-minutes.

I booked a deluxe double (#108)—a large corner room with four big windows-- and it didn’t disappoint. You entered into a long entrance foyer in which there was a closet, lots of mirrors and the entrance to the bathroom (also quite nice with a large tub and handheld shower). The hallway took you to the sleeping area in which there was a comfy, cozy double bed, two night stands and a desk with a flat screen TV. Then it was up two steps to a large seating area containing small sofa, chair, coffee table, mini-bar and other furnishings that completed the look of the room.

There was everything you would expect of a luxury hotel. A particularly nice touch was the fresh bottle of water and plate of apples left by my bedside each night.

I have stayed in a number of 4 and 5 star hotels in my day and I am very picky. I must say that the customer service I received at The College was the best I have ever experienced—from my first exploratory phone call to the cab that was ordered and arrived just on time for my 5:45am trip to the train station. The reservation manager spent ages on the phone with me helping to pick the perfect room. When I arrived, the room I had been promised was ready for me. Check-in was quick and easy. Every need was met from then on.

I grant you that some of the trainees are a bit “unseasoned” but what they lack in experience they make up for in enthusiasm and warmth. And, there is always an experienced pro nearby to step in and assist if needed.

Staying at The College was a treat. I can’t wait to go back.

Stayed November 2007
1 Thank Lizzie1955
Manchester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2007

My husband and I stayed here on the last bit of our honeymoon. The hotel looked great, plush decor and beautiful furnishings but we found customer service left a lot to be desired. Having had a pleasant stay we went to bed early on our last night only to be woken up several hours later by a member of staff unlocking our room door coming into the room with a delivery, mistakenly thinking the room was vacant. He hadn't knocked first so didn't hear our cries of protest that he'd got the wrong room. Our sleep was interrupted and we did not then have a relaxing time the rest of the night. When I mentioned the incident to the member of staff on reception when I was checking out he seemed very disinterested, admitted it had been him who'd done it and sort of shrugged it off with barely an audible sorry. I was appalled at the attitude, all I wanted as an acknowledgement and a proper apology. When I wrote a letter of complaint on my return to the UK I was disappointed not to have received a reply. Therefore I am not able to recommend this hotel because of this unfortunate incident and the complete lack of interest from hotel staff in making up or apologising for it.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple