“"middle of the road"”
Review of The College Hotel

Ranked #163 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Polish first
Hong Kong
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I had one night stay at this hotel during a business trip in Apr 2013.

Although positioned slightly away from city centre, the hotel is located next to many major museums (within walking distance). A 15-min tram ride will take you to city centre and train station.

It is a nicely designed hotel which was converted from a college building.The lighting scheme of the hotel is on the dark side, which is a nice ambiance. It looks trendy for most parts, but some parts are just too dark. I really needed a torch to light up every time I open my door as the corner of my door has nearly no lighting at all.

Strangely, only one key is given per room, even for twin sharing. The reception said that only one key is given to each room even if there are more than 1 guest. This is rather inconvenient when the 2 guests go out separately. Instead, they are advised by the reception to put the key in the reception in such case.

My room is on the 2nd floor and has a lovely inclined ceiling. The room is quiet and beds are comfortable. Like others have said, the switches and control for lighting are difficult to find. There is not enough lighting on the desk if you need to read or work there. The air condition occasionally turns off by itself... sometimes 2 hours and sometimes 5 minutes after turning it on.

The bathroom has a heated mirror, which is nice. However, there is nowhere to hang any towels or clothes. In my room the sink is strangely located OUTSIDE the bathroom, but INSIDE a wardrobe, which is quite awful to use especially when you need to wash your hands after toilet, and I needed to open and close the wardrobe door each time I used it. The towels were difficult to find as they were placed in the bottom of this wardrobe, not in the bathroom. Free wifi was provided during my stay and the speed was fast.

Breakfast was listed to be available from 0700-1000. I had personal affairs to do outside and need to finish breakfast by 0745. However no any food was available until 0715 when they started to take out some bread and fruits. NO any hot food (beacon, whatever type of eggs...) were available when i left at 0745, but I learned from a travel-mate who had breakfast later than me did have those types of food available.

All in all I like the concept of the hotel, but there are things that they need to improve.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The College Hotel is in a great location close to the centre of Amsterdam. It is a very beautiful building full of character. I had a luxury room, which was a very good size and comfortable. However, I do feel with this hotel that style is put over substance. The rooms are incredibly dark and there was hardly enough light in the bathroom to see to get ready. The lighting system is very complicated also, and took me a while to figure out how turn anything off or on. There is also nowhere to hang a towel in the bathroom, which I've never experienced in a hotel before and find very environmentally unfriendly as you have no choice but to leave your towel draped over the bath or on the floor, meaning it will be replaced when it could very readily be used again. It wasn't even an option to hang it on the door as it's a sliding one. The staff were helpful and gave a very good restaurant recommendation of Envy - which I would heartily recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Good hotel. Very friendly and helpful staff. Cool bar with plenty of places to sit and relax. The local area is also good because of trendy local restaurants - not packed with tourists - nice local shops in the immediate area. I enjoyed the hotel restaurant too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BernardHughes
london
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Yes it is trendily dark, and quite imposing, but on a recent trip with my 4 young daughters we were treated wonderfully well by the staff at The College; staying at smart hotels with young children can be nerve-wracking but we have learnt that it is the attitude of the staff that makes a hotel family friendly, not access to creches, clubs, DVDs etc.
We stayed over easter and from the moment we arrived to our departure we were impressed by the professionalism of the staff, albeit that we tended to be served by the full time employees, not the students. Our girls loved the chance to grade the staff, however our clear favourites for student of the month (Claudia on reception and Rick in the bar) were sadly not eligible.
The rooms were large enough for us, very well decorated and of high quality, though a touch gloomy perhaps and as ever with hotels too hot; the food however is excellent and the meal my wife and I had alone on our final night one of the best I have had, certainly in a hotel.
We thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Amsterdam, and would have no hesitation in recommending the College to all- you get the quality you pay for here and the future for the dutch catering and hospitality industry is in very safe hands judging by what we saw.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dave O, Front Office Manager at The College Hotel, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking some of your valuable time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay at The College Hotel. I am very proud to read your stay was great! I will forward your comments to Claudia and Rick.

Feedback is very important to us, as it is with this information that we are able to recognize and improve the critical points in our organization as we aim to serve our guests at the highest possible level.

In closing, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly if we can be of any additional assistance and we look forward to welcome you back at The College Hotel in the future.

Front Office Manager
Chester, Uk
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the College during February half term with 2 children (8 years and nearly 2). Prior to visiting we asked lots of questions about child friendliness and all were answered well and remarkably quickly. As others have said, the hotel is a little on the dark side but I guess that is to add ambiance! However, we could not fault any of the student staff who were attentive, friendly and very good at their jobs. It is a little out of the way but only a 10 minute walk to the main tourist areas. The breakfast was nice, if a little overpriced and the room service was excellent. I would recommend a visit to the College!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Markjono
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking some of your valuable time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay at The College Hotel. I am very proud to read you call our concept great and you find our staff attentive. We do our best to make the stay of our guest a great experience.

Front Office Manager
austria
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The College hotel is a quite nice and very stylish hotel a bit out of the city centre. Our room was small, but all over okay. It could have been better cleaned (bathroom, walls, ...)! Staff is very friendly but you have to take care of yourself! Sitting in the bar it was nothing unusual that the waitress throwed a glass of wine over somebody or something fell to the floor. They also forgot most of the orders and we had to ask several times for drinks etc.
Very unprofessional for the quite high prices.

Room Tip: need to book a quiet room to the back side
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hutt74
Dave O, Manager at The College Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Hutt74,

Thank you for taking some of your valuable time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay at The College Hotel. I am very proud to read you rated our hotel as nice.

The College Hotel, a teaching hotel established in order to improve the education of the young students in of hospitality and tourism educations and to bring new talent to the hospitality industry
Since the opening of The College Hotel, 80 students from several schools in The Netherlands are trained in practical tasks in a real life situation and are schooled in all aspects of the hospitality industry. The students work under the supervision of a team of experienced hotel professionals. Due to this there might be some small mistakes made by our students.

Therefore feedback is very important to us, as it is with this information that we are able to recognize and improve the critical points in our organization and education as we aim to serve our guests at the highest possible level.

Manager