“Great Hotel - but you must have patience!”
Review of The College Hotel

The College Hotel
Ranked #163 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed August 17, 2011

If one of your biggest pet peeves whilst traveling is the hotel staff and direction not being 100% attentive and customer service oriented, then stay away from this hotel.
The College Hotel is run by young "adults" in the midst of studying and training for Hotel Management. While this is truly a great idea, it can cause a bit of annoyance if you don't have the tolerance for such things.
Upon our arrival in October 2009, the staff scrambled to find our reservation, even when shown the printed email reservation. After about 10 minutes, they found it, and we were slowly shown to the room.
The rooms are incredible. High ceilings, large beds, plenty of space - think grey walls and black and white bathrooms, very romantic in a 'dark' way. The bathtub was one of the largest I've ever seen, comfortably fitting two persons!
The breakfast was satisfactory, as others have mentioned there were questions about poached eggs etc.
One day during our weekend, it was raining and we didn't have any umbrella. We went to the front desk to ask if we could borrow an umbrella, and the boy working looked at us with a puzzled and anxious face. After he asked his supervisor (who was within ear shot in the adjoining back room right next to the front desk), he opened the luggage storage room where both my fiance and I immediately spotted a plethora of umbrellas. Apparently the young boy didn't see them and looked for about 2 minutes until we nicely pointed them out to him. We had a few stories like this, but as we are rather patient people we managed to giggle about them amongst ourselves out of earshot of the employees.
The bar downstairs looked like a great social scene on a Thursday- Saturday night but we never tried it. Maybe next time, we'll be back.
The breafast was satisfactory, as others have mentioned there were questions about poached eggs etc.
One day during our weekend, it was raining and we didn't have any umbrella. We went to the front desk to ask if we could borrow an umbrella, and the boy working looked at us with a puzzled and anxious face. After he asked his supervisor (who was within ear shot in the adjoining back room right next to the front desk), he opened the luggage storrage room where both my fiance and I immediately spotted a plethora of umbrellas. Apparently the young boy didn't see them and looked for about 2 minutes until we nicely pointed them out to him. We had a few stories like this, but as we are rather patient people we managed to giggle about them amongst ourselves out of earshot of the employees.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 3, 2011

I stayed at the College Hotel during my conference from 17 to 21 July 2011. I got instant free access to the WIFI and was able to work in the comfort of my room. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean and the room size is just right for a single traveler.

As I got into Amsterdam at an early hour, the hotel was kind enough to accede to my request for a complimentary early check-in since I have made known that this is my first time to the country and is travelling alone. I was greeted instantly upon my arrival at the hotel which I feel is very welcoming and commendable.

If I have not read that most of the staff are trainees, I would not have known as they were professional, friendly, accommodating and very helpful.

The location of the hotel is fantastic as its within walking distance to the museums, supermarket and there is a tram stop directly outside the hotel. I bought the unlimited tram tickets for 4 days at Euro19.50 and took the tram to almost every part of Amsterdam city. The efficient transport system and the good location of the hotel made every second of my trip worthwhile.

I will recommend the College Hotel to anyone who is visiting Amsterdam.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Sylviagckoh
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Stayed here one night on business in a "superior" room.

Room :
- Located within the attic / roof space of the building
- The one tiny dormer window was above my head height - I had to stand on a chair to look out of it
- The room was on a corner over"look"ing a main road - imagine the irony of being woken by traffic you can't see!
- The hotel is on 3 floors, ground, 1st, 2nd, where the second floor is within the attic
- As far is I could make out from colleagues, the "superior" room category is a lottery, with some of the rooms on this floor being OK with larger dormers / skylights and some, like mine, being materially worse and should really have their own "discount" category
- If you don't want to play this lottery, make sure you pay the extra €20 to get into the next room class ("luxury")
- Room was OK inside, fashionable dark brown decor, good shower, bath

Public areas, bar, restaurant :
- Careful not to look like a hotel, has a private club-like appearance / feel
- Bar is attractive, good sofas, decor
- Dinner in the restaurant was amazing - very high quality cuisine, expensive but not outrageous for the very high quality

Room Tip: Go for "luxury" class or above for a good window and ask to be at the back
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Amsterdam is one of my favourite cities...so full of live and special people..and so is this hotel just special. At first glance it just doesen't look like a hotel more like a college as its name says... but if you sneak a peek inside it's just perfect and elegant. The rooms are stylisch and aesthetic. And a little snack awaits you in your room everyday when you come home bushed from your trips through Amsterdam. Stuff is helpful and friendly. And oh I have to say it again the rooms are so absolutely wonderful you look forward to come "home" after a long day full of adventures. Perfect!
PS: Try the breakfast :)

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 29, 2011

.............. because it is run by children. You will need patience, plenty of time to wait around, tolerance and the ability to give clear instructions; as there is no initiative from the staff.

Yes I do get the concept and was aware when the hotel was booked - but clearly did not understand the implications. So, the College Hotel is staffed by students and trainees - but they just can't do it. Sure the things you might expect: clunky slow check in while everyone looks on anxiously (can't find booking etc), coming to turn the room down hearing 'come in' rather than 'coming' and entering the room inappropriately.
But trying to explain at breakfast what an egg white was, waiting 10 minutes for them and then them being inedible (still not sure how). Room service food was not quite as offered in the menu and there was no salt & pepper or spoon to eat the sorbet (I ordered ice cream!). Room servicephone line was out of order when I tried it and front desk not always answered. I asked the location of the in room safety deposit - they were kind enough to explain to me what a safety deposit box looked like. However it was only after I searched to the point of questioning my sanity, that they conceded there are one or two rooms that don't have one. But it is not just the front of house staff and food & beverage team that are the issue. Housekeeping threw away my personal belongings (no where near the bin I can assure you) a packaging sample - which I suppose to the untrained eye did look like an empty bottle - but they also took away a full one too!
Just SO inconvenient.

On the plus side it is a beautiful authentic space. It has real substance and stature. Good size rooms. Beautifully presented. Communal areas are tasteful and well appointed.
It's just all this is undermined by trying to function or get anything done.

A special mention for Tiffany on reception who totally got the concept of customer service, was apologetic and sympathetic to my missing bottle situation even offering to replace it and send it on to me. In the end she went to the store and found one to replace it. This was a shining beacon of service in a hotel where I felt slightly anxious that no-one was in charge.

This student run hotel does not come at student prices though. It really could be lovely and enjoyable. But when I stayed it certainly was not.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank noplacelikehomegirl
Reviewed June 15, 2011

My colleague and I stayed at The College Hotel for one night in June 2011. Although the outside of the hotel is very inviting with large windows, inside its very dark and dingy. My room had a very small window and the lighting in the bedroom consisted of just 3 lamps which were perminently dimmed. Not good if you need to do work in the evening after a meeting.
The double bed was very odd and seemed to be two singles of slightly different heights pushed together. The bathroom was also very dark and the shower had a very thick curtain which stopped most light coming through it. Additionally the shower was not full height due to a slopeing ceiling. Although I managed OK (I'm 5'3'') my male colleague told me he found it impossible to comfortably shower. When this was raised with the desk staff we were informed we should have asked for a full-height shower at check-in.

Overall I wouldn't recommend this hotel for business use at all. It's not ideally located for the centre of Amsterdam or the airport, and the conditions in the room make it really only good for sleeping. This was arranged by our travel booking company who stated they have a special rate at the hotel - the rate was 200euros a night which I feel was very over-priced. I could have stayed somewhere less trying to be trendy and more pratical and comfortable for less.

Room Tip: For a full height shower ask at check-in
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 13, 2011

I found this hotel to be extraordinarily trendy. It's in an 19th century Amsterdam school house which these amazingly big windows. Despite this, the hotel is quite dark and cozy, but lively at the same time. I found the service to be friendly but as the hotel staff are college students, I felt like they were still getting used to the whole hotel environment. Never the less, they put in a 100% effort. The design of the hotel is top notch and is one of the plus sides of it. The rooms are cozy, but spacious at the same time due to most of the rooms having gigantic windows.
I ate at the restaurant and found it quite good. The open kitchen was spotlessly clean and the restaurant is airy and spacious as it is in the former gymnasium. There is a great brasserie just around the corner from the school that I thought was superb.
However, one thing that annoyed me a bit about the hotel is that it is somewhat on the outskirts of Amsterdam. The neighborhood it is in was very nice, but it was residential apart from many of Amsterdam's museums being very close by. To see things like The Anne Frank House and the rest of Central Amsterdam , you had to go by taxi or by tram.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the top floor
  • Stayed: October 2010