“Hotel without mojo”

NH Amsterdam Museum Quarter
Ranked #114 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Rooms are big, location is good, power plug next to the bed.
So why not a good rating?

This hotel has lost (or never had) its mojo.
It doesn't not feel homey, the rooms are plain to boring, the breakfast is uninviting and the bar looks more like a ticket office of the train station.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank EvaSoloOnTour

Reviewed October 20, 2012

The hotel is OK in all the other facilities. But if you need internet access for your work or leisure, don't believe what they say about being provided with free internet. What they provide is useless since it gives you a speed of 124kb which is barely the speed you used to get with phone modems in the eighties. If you complain, they direct you to a very small letter print in the "free internet" leaflet that they give you. It is a complete con since they say FREE INTERNET in big letters but this is no even mentioned until you get this leaflet which you get once you are checked in.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

The decor of this place in nothing to write home about - a bit utilitarian and a little tired, with poor quality toileteries. However, the hotel is in a great location for the museums and sights and has free wifi (which many more expensive hotels make you pay through the nose for). My bedroom was huge and the bed comfortable. For £108 for the night, I think it represents pretty good value for money.

1  Thank Acelawyer
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Located some 5-10 minutes by tram from the Centre of Amsterdam this is a very pleasant hotel. The Staff are very helpful, rooms clean and its located right by the river or canal , ok water then!!!! Quiet in location, its out of the mix should you want that peace of mind but close enough to dip into the variety that this town has to offer. It doers get busy at breakfast times, but hey, you're on holiday , get there early and all will be ok.

Room Tip: Be polite and all will be good.....
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank robw247
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights. The hotel is in a relatively quiet area near the market around which there are some very nice and quite inexpensive as well as expensive restaurants. The tram stop is 2 minutes away and you can get a tram into the centre of town which is @10 minutes travel time. The hotel itself was clean and staff were all very helpful, the viwe from our room over the canal was really nice too. I would recommend this place if you want to be close to the city centre but just far enough away for peace and quiet if you want it.

Room Tip: Ask for a canal view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter M
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I was in the lobby of the hotel using the free wifi and was coughing as the weather turned cold and throat was tickled. A service staff then approached me and asked if I'm ill. I said I'm fine except throat is ticklish. He then said "if u're coughing and I'm working at the back here and we are in closed area, so you know...."
Wow! that's a first! Thanks. instead of being offered warm water or something to soothe my throat or ask me to rest early, he's more concerned for his own health. not mine or others. I guess one can't expect much eh

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank FKoh
Reviewed October 12, 2012

(1) My colleague and I were put in the same area (rooms 122 and 125). We were directed to the main lift but that did not take us to the "hidden" area where our rooms were. Five - FIVE - minutes later, with help from a member of staff ("go up to the 2nd floor, go along corridor, get in the other lift, go down to 1st floor" - why did reception not direct us to the correct lift?), we found our rooms. (2) Breakfast was Euros 20. Ok selection but overpriced and staff and egg chef chatting amongst themselves while we waited for egg service. (3) The toiletries and cheap tea and coffee (inc dried milk) are not remotely 4* (4) I left myself a note, "NB Cheese in Fridge" after buying a cEuros 9 cheese and storing it in the fridge. The next day, my note and my cheese had been taken. I took this as theft and was really upset about what else was taken. Reception staff said it would be looked into. As I was checking out before 7am the next day, it was not sorted so I left my email address. I was really upset about this. Three days later, I got a response, which is that this is not normal practice, apologies there was a misunderstanding, the chambermaid thought the note was to direct her to remove it. No reimbursement or acknowledgement that I was upset about perceiving this as theft. I do feel a bit like the laughing stock, "Mad cheese woman", and that my complaint was not taken seriously, but what if my reminder had said, "NB Krug in fridge", or, "NB Passport in wardrobe"? I will never stay in an NH hotel again. There were also long queues at reception and lots of issues with the hotel being fully booked but people who had booked not being on the list so being offered other hotels. Very, very poor and I found it more upsetting than it probably sounds like I should have.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the area around rooms 120 ish to 126.
1  Thank Bagpuss202020