“The first of many stays at the student hotel”

The Student Hotel Amsterdam West
Ranked #21 of 249 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I recently just got back from Amsterdam after my first trip there. It's safe to say I have the blues and already planning my next trip back and I WILL be staying at The Student Hotel again, without a doubt.
When I first booked the hotel it was definitely booked for the cheapness, as young travellers we didn't care much about the room as its just somewhere to sleep. I looked at the pictures and just saw it as the basic nesseccitites, oh how wrong I was after arriving and it being more than I could ever expected. When I looked at other hotels in Dam Square, I did find a lot of reviews having issues with space in their rooms, we didn't have that problem as the rooms were big and the bed was more comfortable than my own!!!
The tram was right in front of the hotel and took literally 10 minutes and was very cheap. It actually it felt better to be outside of dam sqare because it forced us to spend the most time we could in the centre. We didn't ask much of the staff but when they did they were more than helpful with our requests and translation. If you're under 26 and in to a student experience and socialising in a true traveling style visit here as I will be doing every time I visit Amsterdam!!!
Words cannot explain how happy I was with this hotel on my trip.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank HYYoung
Frank U, Manager at The Student Hotel Amsterdam West, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear HYYoung,

Thank you for your comment and ranking! I am very pleased to hear you fully enjoyed your stay with us and would be more than happy to welcome you back in Amsterdam! If you want to keep an eye on our future sales or special events, I invite you to follow us on Facebook http://facebook.com/thestudenthotel

Have a lovely time back home, hope to see you soon.
Best,

Frank Uffen.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,628)

Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights for a Valentines Day trip. The hotel was exactly as we expected - modern, clean, trendy and young.
The staff were friendly and helpful and they allowed us to check in 4 hours early on our first day, free of charge.

The rooms are very basic but immaculately clean and everything works as it should. The location is a little out of the way, but even on a Sunday it only took us 20minutes to get to Dam Square on the tram which stops right outside the hotel. The airport is approximately 20mins away by train, which also stops right outside.

Not sure I'd stay here again as I've been to Amsterdam before and I think the experience is better if you stay in the centre of town, but the hotel itself is great.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Grace_S89
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is nice. Staff however where not so friendly to us. I also witnessed the man at reception shouting at someone who had only asked him for a plastic cup. I thought this was very rude.

The rooms are clean but too basic. Not in a great location!!!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank RobertaEthan1
Carter J, Manager at The Student Hotel Amsterdam West, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Dear Roberta,

We would firstly like to thank you for sharing your experience and are glad to hear your appreciation for the cleanliness of the hotel.

We would like to apologize for the shouting incident you had encountered. I have personally communicated the occurrence to the staff , ensuring your comments be met with actions to avoid a similar incident.

We are greatly appreciative of your comments and would like to invite you enjoy our hotel facilities again!

Kind regards,

Carter Jones

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Had a great stay! Only a quick bike ride to the centre of town. The staff were very helpful and very nice. Had lunch and dinner in the kitchen and was beautiful. Will for sure come back and stay :) thanks.

• Stayed: January 2014

Dear Kpmoustache,

Thank you for taking the time to leave this great review! I am very pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us - and enjoyed the food too! I would be very happy to welcome you back. If you want to keep an eye on our future sales or special events, I invite you to follow us on Facebook http://facebook.com/thestudenthotel

I wish you all the best and hope to see you around soon!
Frank.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Was at the student hotel for about a week when I was in Amsterdam. I was sorely disappointed by the incompetence of the staff - they didn't have my room ready at check-in time, and were scrambling when I checked out, hurrying me out before the designated time in order to get someone else in my room. The receptionist at the desk, a curt brunnette, was unfriendly and condescending when we asked about food around the area. Overall I found the place rather hostile and artificial.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Missy S

Dear Missy S,

First of all thank you for taking the time to review The Student Hotel on Tripadvisor. Your comment is very precious for us to understand why you did not fully enjoy your stay. I am very sorry to hear we did not reach your expectations as much as we aimed to. Be sure your feedback will be taken in consideration by my team to change and improve The Student Hotel experience.

If you plan to come back to Amsterdam or plan a trip to Rotterdam and give The Student Hotel a second chance please let me know at frank@thestudenthotel.com. I would personally make sure you have a better time with us!

I wish you a pleasant day,
Best regards,

Frank Uffen.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I had never been to amsterdam before and I got lucky by deciding to stay at the student hotel.
The tram is just outside and gets you into the centre in 20 minutes,its also nice way to get around and cheap to use if you buy a day ticket.
The rooms are sparse but clean and cleaned each day with fresh towels for the nice little bathroom,the staff are helpful and pleasant.
Comfortable bed and quiet rooms ensure a peaceful nights sleep and I noticed security patrols around the grounds during the evenings,there is a large area downstairs with a cafe which I thought exspensive for what was offered, but its a nice open area with a library of I think donated books in different languages your free to make use of and good seating to reflect on or plan your day ahead.
It has an unpretentious but comfortable feel to the place many of the people staying are students attending the university so it has a youthful vibe but do not let this deter you if you are of any age.
If you are on a budget or would just rather spend your hard earned exploring this fantastic city you will not go wrong by staying at the student hotel.

Room Tip: Dont expect great views,you get a clean room a TV and a decent size bed and bathroom.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank stephen g

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your review! We are pleased you recommend our Hotel on Tripadvisor and most of all that you had a nice stay with us! We will be more than happy to welcome you back anytime. Drop us a line on Facebook if you plan to come back.
Have a nice day,

Frank.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

Was in Amsterdam for the weekend. Had to options to choose aside from Student Hotel and decided to stay here instead. Room is huge, so does the toilet! It's a little bit out of the Centrum, however is easily accessible via tram which is right in front of the Hotel! I would definitely stay here again the next time in Amsterdam!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends