“Great stay, even better staff!”

The Student Hotel Amsterdam West
Ranked #21 of 248 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Had a great stay! Only a quick bike ride to the centre of town. The staff were very helpful and very nice. Had lunch and dinner in the kitchen and was beautiful. Will for sure come back and stay :) thanks.

• Stayed: January 2014
Frank U, Manager at The Student Hotel Amsterdam West, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear Kpmoustache,

Thank you for taking the time to leave this great review! I am very pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us - and enjoyed the food too! I would be very happy to welcome you back. If you want to keep an eye on our future sales or special events, I invite you to follow us on Facebook http://facebook.com/thestudenthotel

I wish you all the best and hope to see you around soon!
Frank.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,619)

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Was at the student hotel for about a week when I was in Amsterdam. I was sorely disappointed by the incompetence of the staff - they didn't have my room ready at check-in time, and were scrambling when I checked out, hurrying me out before the designated time in order to get someone else in my room. The receptionist at the desk, a curt brunnette, was unfriendly and condescending when we asked about food around the area. Overall I found the place rather hostile and artificial.

1  Thank Missy S

Dear Missy S,

First of all thank you for taking the time to review The Student Hotel on Tripadvisor. Your comment is very precious for us to understand why you did not fully enjoy your stay. I am very sorry to hear we did not reach your expectations as much as we aimed to. Be sure your feedback will be taken in consideration by my team to change and improve The Student Hotel experience.

If you plan to come back to Amsterdam or plan a trip to Rotterdam and give The Student Hotel a second chance please let me know at frank@thestudenthotel.com. I would personally make sure you have a better time with us!

I wish you a pleasant day,
Best regards,

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I had never been to amsterdam before and I got lucky by deciding to stay at the student hotel.
The tram is just outside and gets you into the centre in 20 minutes,its also nice way to get around and cheap to use if you buy a day ticket.
The rooms are sparse but clean and cleaned each day with fresh towels for the nice little bathroom,the staff are helpful and pleasant.
Comfortable bed and quiet rooms ensure a peaceful nights sleep and I noticed security patrols around the grounds during the evenings,there is a large area downstairs with a cafe which I thought exspensive for what was offered, but its a nice open area with a library of I think donated books in different languages your free to make use of and good seating to reflect on or plan your day ahead.
It has an unpretentious but comfortable feel to the place many of the people staying are students attending the university so it has a youthful vibe but do not let this deter you if you are of any age.
If you are on a budget or would just rather spend your hard earned exploring this fantastic city you will not go wrong by staying at the student hotel.

Room Tip: Dont expect great views,you get a clean room a TV and a decent size bed and bathroom.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank stephen g

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your review! We are pleased you recommend our Hotel on Tripadvisor and most of all that you had a nice stay with us! We will be more than happy to welcome you back anytime. Drop us a line on Facebook if you plan to come back.
Have a nice day,

Frank.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

Was in Amsterdam for the weekend. Had to options to choose aside from Student Hotel and decided to stay here instead. Room is huge, so does the toilet! It's a little bit out of the Centrum, however is easily accessible via tram which is right in front of the Hotel! I would definitely stay here again the next time in Amsterdam!

3  Thank pixiedaisie
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 days. This is one of the best value hotels I have ever seen in Europe. They have big rooms, a library, bike for rent, baskeball court, gym, restaurant, sitting area and the property is quite big. And you get all this in mere Euro 55. Its right next to metro station and there is tram station right on the gate. Staff are so generous and helpful. Overall this hotel is excellent.

Room Tip: Best budget hotel in Amsterdam
1  Thank Shubhranshu K

Hi Shubhranshu K,

Have a lovely day,

Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for the weekend. Given the hotel prices elsewhere in the city this was the default choice at 60gbp per night (compared with 100+ at the weekend).

The location isn't great, but the 13 tram is frequent and fast.

The hotel is smart and modern. The sandwiches available from the kitchen are pretty good, but a little expensive. I didn't like their coffee though (sorry)!

The rooms are very roomy, the bed is comfortable and they are very clean. The bathrooms are excellent and the showers are hot and powerful (such a nice surprise).

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2013

i just recently came home from staying in the student hotel, i was very very pleased with our room, was very clean, bed was really comfy, toilet was clean, with clean towels... staff were really nice and considering its only a 3 star hotel the restaurant food was lovely. its a simular lay out to student halls, modern but simple. the tram was 10-15 minutes from the central and you can get tickets for as many days as you are staying for for quite cheap.if i was to come to amsterdam again i would stay in this hotel. paided 110 for 3 days between 2 of us, so was cheap for what we got aswell. very happy!!! :)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Lauren h,

Thank you for reviewing us on Tripadvisor! We are pleased you recommend our Hotel and most of all that you had a great stay with us!

We will be more than happy to welcome you back anytime. Drop us a line on Facebook or Twitter if you decide to do so!

Have a lovely day,