“Nice local bakery”

Bakkerrij Simon Meijssen
Ranked #6 of 29 Bakeries in Amsterdam
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Museum Quarter (Museumkwartier)
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

We discovered this lovely bakery by accident while walking close to our hotel. The pies and cakes displayed were mouth watering and we confirmed the quality of their products after trying their croq monsieur and also the ham and cheese croissant. Natural orange juice tasted like homemade. The ladies that work there were very quick while serving us and their latte is also good. I went back there for breakfast three days in a row.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

I was out doing some early morning photographs of the Rijksmuseum and decided to bring back fresh croissants, stopping by the bakery at 7am I found they didn't open until 7:30 so I went for a bit more of a walk before they opened. When I returned at 7:25 they were open and crowed with workmen getting their breakfasts and coffee's I thought this to be a good sign as workmen usually know the best places to get good food.

Although there were many choices available, I decided on a chocolate croissant and 2 butter croissants right off the cooling racks from the kitchen, I took this again to be a good sign of their freshness. Arriving back at the apartment with my package I opened them with my fresh coffee and was surprised and very disappointed at both items. The chocolate croissant was; hard, cold and over baked. I obviously was not fresh and I doubt it had been for 2 or 3 days. The butter croissants were very over cooked almost to the point of being burned and also seemed anything but fresh. Maybe I have been spoiled having eaten fresh croissants at bakeries in Marseille, Paris and other cities of France. However, I have also eaten better croissants in many US cities than I purchased this morning. Their location may fool the tourists, however, I doubt they have any local support based on the examples I ate this morning.

2  Thank highbrae
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

This is a must see. There is a wide choice of cakes and at the back of the shop some filled rolls for takeaway

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Stopped at the inconspicuous little Broodbakker Simon Meijssen (Nieuwe Vijzelstraat 5) on the way to the Rijksmuseum for a quick breakfast of the most amazing ham and gouda croissants, and sat to eat them in the Weteringplantsoen, contemplating whether to walk back and get a few more.

As I write this review, I really wish that I had...

1  Thank VousAllez
Reviewed June 20, 2014

We stumbled upon this bakery by chance. Glad we did else we wouldn't have tasted the delicious treats! The coconut macaroons were divine.