“Terrible service and fake Japanese - go somewhere else.”

Shiki, Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #2,970 of 3,900 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighborhood: Centrum
Neighborhood: Centrum
“Terrible service and fake Japanese - go somewhere else.”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Friend and I were so excited to finally have some Japanese for dinner. We both ordered Ramen but it was not authentic at all. Tasted like noodles in chicken stock. Nigiri is 1.50 Euros a piece. and tiny. The staff all spoke Chinese so we realised we had chosen badly that night.

The service was absolutely appalling. Staff were unfriendly and quite rude.
We had just finished a cone of chips before we entered the restaurant so I still had the paper cone in hand when I sat down. Just as we were about to leave, the waitress rudely told me I had to take my rubbish with me - she refused to clear it away along with the dishes. I have never been told to do that before at any other restaurant and I was so close to leaving it behind in spite.

Bottom line: Terrible service and unauthentic Japanese, save yourself a terrible dining experience and go somewhere else.

• Visited January 2014

Bilbao
“Nice Japanese restaurant”
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Great for having a Japanese dinner.
My girlfriend and I asked for gyoza and chicken tebayaki to share and a dish of seafood each, it was ok for 27€ both.

2 Thank inakisc
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Stay away from Shiki Japanese Restaurant”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

My wife had a craving for some good Japanese noodles, and I wanted some rice and tempura. We were wandering around the city when we stumbled upon Shiki on Zoutsteeg 5, a small "Japanese". We thought the food must be good because the place was packed.

My wife order the "prawn" tempura Udon for $18.75 USD, and I ordered the Shrimp tempura. I asked what came with my dish, and I was told shrimp.... no rice, no oshinko, no nothing. That being the case, I ordered a bowl of steamed white rice to go with my food, bringing the total my food to $25.50 USD. Mind you, this is not some upscale place, but a typically small cafe sized hole in the wall.

they brought my wife's Udon first, and about 5 minutes later my tempura and rice. Her Udon had sesame oil in it, and it was extremely salty. I received a plate with 6 shrimp, or at least pieces of shrimp. They were VERY small, in the 30/lb size. There was more crust than shrimp, and they were very greasy and oily, and the oil tasted old. The rice was inedible. Completely dried out, hard, and under cooked. I sent the rice back right away. I asked if the owner was chinese, as all the waitresses were chinese, and there was chinese music playing in the kitchen. She told me the owner was Japanese. If so, they must be absentee owners. No self respecting Japanese restaurant would attempt to pass that crap off as rice.

Be warned, save your money and stay away, even if you are starving.

• Visited October 2013