“Perfect location-great staff”
Review of Hotel Alexander

Hotel Alexander
Ranked #154 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Spent a few days at the Hotel Alexander. Great location and a very accommodating staff. They were very helpful and had very good dinner recommendations. Our room overlooked the street and was quite comfortable with a large private bath. Only shortcoming was free wifi was only available in the lobby.

Room Tip: Ask for a large room overlooking the street, worth the extra.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Alexander

Reviewed May 19, 2012

we stayed here for NYE 2010/11 great staff and location was perfect just outside the main streets but very good walking distance very clean and had everything you needed.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I just finished a long weekend in Amsterdam and stayed at the Alexander Hotel based on recommendations from TripAdvisor. I even got the dreaded "basement room" that others warned about, but I have to say it wasn't as bad as I feared. I stayed there with two other people. I made my reservations late and when I checked in and was told my room number I immediately asked for a different room on a higher floor. I was told it was not possible as they did not have an available room with three beds for the weekend. So, I gave it a shot. The room was a good size and had three beds and a TV (although we could never get the TV to work). The basement room had windows that opened to the street but provided a good amount of light. The bathroom was big, the shower was large, no issues with hot water. And I have to say that the street was so quiet that we actually slept with the windows open and were fine even in the basement room.

I was in room 1. I personally think those basement rooms would be better than the rooms on floor zero that get everyone walking by them to get to the stairs or elevators.

The staff when we got there was great. They provided a map, told us where to walk, wrote on the map and made suggestions of what to do and what days to do them so it wouldn't be as crowded. Throughout the weekend they were all very nice and helpful.

The breakfast was a typical European breakfast. A little light for 10 Euros but nothing unlike what I have seen at just about every other hotel I've stayed at in Europe. I will say that one day we came in with only 15 mins left in breakfast and they were kind in putting more food out and baking more bread for us. Again, great staff.

The only downside is that the WiFi did not work. It is close to the city but probably the furthest on that street.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel to others going to Amsterdam.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gabriel R
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Don't be misled by the "Museum Quarter" and think it's far from everything else you want to see. It was better priced than the central hotels and a very easy walk all over the city! Highly recommend this hotel. The room is very small but you should be in there much if you're touring!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Excellent stay at the Alexander !! Reception staff (Look alike brothers) First class ! Nothing was to much bother,upgraded to a standard room (small is small in Amsterdam) which was nice and clean and quiet at night, which is a plus in a city.Great position(5 min walk from Leidenspline) Breakfast was good (continental) cheese,ham.bread etc.Free WI-Fi in lobby area,or you can pay to use there's in your room,and also on there PC's in reception. Will definitely be back next time I'm in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Go for standard rooms as small room are small.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2012

This hotel was ideal for families visiting Amsterdam. Big familyrooms, nice breakfast, quiet surroundings and very friendly staff. We will definitly come back!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2012

The Alexander is a well-located hotel in one of the old buildings in town, meaning that it is a narrow and tall place. This also applies to the rooms which are narrow and tall, do not expect a lot of extra space. This is common for all such hotels though.

I stayed in room 15 which was unfortunately situated directly off the stairwell, and the stairs are very noisy. Also all the noise from the lobby carried up through the thin door, making this more like a hostel experience in that regard. Earplugs were a must.

The room was basically clean, but was starting to show its age. Especially the grouting in the shower would need replacing.

Like almost all Amsterdam hotels, the Alexander is overpriced and overrated for what it actually offers, and it would not be ranked as a three star establishment for example in the Nordic countries.

With these things things in mind, it is still a recommendable hotel thanks to its location, the fair service and the acceptable quality of its rooms. Just make sure you reserve yours high up and away from the stairwell.

Room Tip: Away from the stairwell, as high up as you can get.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business