“Top choice for budget travellers!”
Review of Hotel Alexander

Hotel Alexander
Ranked #157 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Alexander was like an oasis after a long day of hotel room searching (on foot) without success. After all the dumpsters we had seen that day (very busy weekend-Amsterdam hotels were all fully booked due to multiple fairs) this hotel seemed like the perfect refuge. Simple, small, clean, offering great location. Best room that our money could buy..

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Close to tram, very clean and spacious room. Elevator only to 3rd.floor.

Reviewed August 25, 2011

We make a habit of staying in the Alexander on our overnight escapes to Amsterdam when visiting family in the Netherlands. Great location, comfortable beds, clean and airy rooms and friendly service make it a great place to stay. Peak season prices undermines its usual value for money a bit (we paid Euro 95 for a basic double without breakfast), but that's a minor quibble. Will be back again soon.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John W
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I've been there for 7 nights. Good location in a quiet sreet.The room was a litle beat small but the people were very nice.

1  Thank Leonor S
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I came back to Hotel Alexander and as I stated in 2007 it is a great hotel in a great location. Once again service was excellent. We received maps and directions to local attractions and help navigating out of the city for additional travel. The breakfast was good with variety of options and the coffee great. See my 2007 review for additional information

1  Thank ingabinga52
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I spent five nights at the Hotel Alexander in early July, 2011. Three were with a Rick Steves tour and two were solo (paid 95 euro which included breakfast). As I was alone in the room the entire time, I did not mind the small size. I loved it! I was cozy and had everything I needed. My room looked over the garden, had a mini fridge, and a fan up on the wall for cooling purposes and additional white noise. The bathroom was decent size with plenty of room to lay out toiletry items. Our group enjoyed the outside balcony area to gather for drinks before going out to dinner. There is an Albert Heijn grocery store right by tram stop #1 on Overtoom. Also, an organic food store on Overtoom near the hotel that only takes credit cards, no cash. As other reviewers have noted, the hotel is located close to trams 1, 2, and 5, as well as the Leidseplein. I walked to the Rijks and Van Gogh Museums. Here is my special story about the Hotel Alexander...Two young brothers work the front desk and they both were always very courteous and helpful to me. I wanted to attend an outdoor dance performance in Vondel Park and I asked him the location of the theater in the Park. He tried to describe it to me, but the park is very large. I did find the theater and had a wonderful experience. After I returned, I discovered that he had walked the park in hopes that he would see me again to give me more detailed instructions as how to find the theater. Yes, there may be a few quirks such as a 4% charge for a credit card and having to pay a little bit to use the lobby computers, but my visit to Amsterdam was definitely enhanced by staying at the Hotel Alexander.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank JHROrange
Reviewed July 12, 2011

Stayed in that hotel 24-28 June. I chose that hotel because of a lot of positive reviews on it here, and have to say that I did not regret about my choice!! Alexander hotel is situated in the excellent location, right near Leidepslain Square, where are a lot of cafes, restaurants, clubs, boat trip stop and other tourist entertainments. I took single room, it was a litlle bit small, but very very cozy, enough for one person! the bed was not small, even too big for only me. Bathroom was very clean and enough modern. The service in the hotel was incredible- always clean room, special thanks to J and Tony on the reception! They always helped with any information or any other consultations that were needed. The breakfast was quit good: jogurts, tomatoes, fruits, bread, a lot of cheese, tea coffee water orange juice.
And all that you get for very very decent price! I should definitely recommend this hotel to everybody, and surely will come back here when next time in Amsterdam.
Thanks to Alexander Hotel and to all people who work there for incredible vacation!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo