“Modern hotel with great views”
Review of Room Mate Aitana

Ranked #31 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Large and quiet hotel, beautifully located near the centre. We had a room on the 11th floor: a large room with a wonderful view over the city. The marina is next to the hotel gives it a mediterranean touch. Breakfast was good, hotel staff very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Merijn V, Manager at Room Mate Aitana, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2014

Dear ascp,

Thank you very much for your 5 star review of your stay with us. I am very happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us so much! And indeed, the Marina, especially now, almost makes us feel like we are in the Mediterranean or the Cote d'Azur.

It was a pleasure having you stay with us, and I hope we may welcome you back to Room Mate Hotels soon!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Me and a friend stayed at the Room Mate Aitana for a long weekend. We both loved this hotel!

It is modern and clean and with excellent customer service! The location is perfect, quiet and near the water but still close to the city center. I would recommend this hotel for a trip with your friends!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Merijn V, Manager at Room Mate Aitana, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2014

Dear Angelicascloset,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience in our hotel with the world. I am thrilled you had such an enjoyable stay and to know that you loved our hotel, the 5 -star rating you gave is testament to that. Your compliments on the excellent customer service will be shared with Aitana's entire team!

It was our sincere pleasure having you as our guests, and I hope we may welcome you back to Room Mate Hotels!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed August 1, 2014

Considerable exterior, fascinating interior design, this one-year old modern hotel is what I'm usually searching for when travelling for business purposes. Yeah, the old grumpy man as me will find same faults: they are clearly underpersonneld, the room often aren’t ready at 4 pm, even though the hotel day starts at 3pm... And you're obliged to wait. The breakfast is not the top: quite poor choice for the class of all the rest, never-ending expectancy for your eggs a la coque (there's only one guy to prepare it for 350 rooms!), tree people in the reception are often unsufficient and guest are queuing, but I'd be back even tomorrow. Really nice, well-designed hotel, large, clean and modern rooms, splendid view over the Amstel river. And it's not so far away from the very centre, and 10 min. walk of the haarlemstraat with its colourful life.

Room Tip: Similar one to another, northern part offers better view, upper floors preferable
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Dear Jacek P,

I am thrilled to read that you rate your stay as 'excellent'. Also I would like to thank you for pointing out some points we can improve on, which I can assure you we will take to heart.
Your reference to the Haarlemmerstraat is something I wholeheartedly agree on, it is indeed a funky and colourful street in a quickly upcoming area of Amsterdam. Something we happily point out to our guests to go and experience!

It has been a pleasure welcoming you as our guest, and I hope we may soon welcome you back to Room Mate Hotels!

Kindest regards in behalf of the entire team!

Reviewed July 31, 2014

Excellent rooms, large room with a lot of light. Very quiet atmosphere and invisible, but very useful staff.

Stayed there for 4 night in July 2014.

Location is little bit far from the Centrum area, but it is ok if you don't mind to take a 10 minutes walk daily!

Room Tip: If you have a queen room, try to get 721 ;
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2014

A large, modern hotel, with large rooms that have good closet space. Our room was very quiet, but I would avoid being too close to the lobby bar which was fairly loud. The couple of blocks surrounding the hotel is sort of an industrial harbor area, so not particularly attractive. The hotel is actually on a man-made island in the harbor. There is a Beans & Bagels across the driveway from the hotel, which is a good place to get breakfast. We found the location to be pretty good. It is a 10 minute walk to Amsterdam Central Station - which is the main transportation hub for trains, ferries, trams, metro, and buses (we used our OV-Chipkaarten transportation passes often). It is also a 10 minute walk to the north end of Jordaan. Getting to any other part of Amsterdam will be a longer walk. It is fairly easy and cheap to get to the hotel from the airport, if you know a few things ahead of time: the airport-train station is in a shopping center attached to the airport; the fare to Amsterdam Central Station is about 4 euros; the people at the ticket window are very helpful; the train leaves every 10 or 15 minutes and takes about 15 minutes; when you get off the train, walk towards the ferries (away from main entrance) and cross the busy street; when you reach the ferries, turn left and follow the harbor's edge for 10 minutes (keep the water on your right); the sidewalk will become too narrow (less than a foot wide) for rolling suitcases, so you will have to walk in the bike lane (there will be A LOT of bicycles); you will cross a drawbridge over a canal and then take the pedestrian bridge on your right (which looks like it goes to an office building); continue past the office building and turn left: the hotel entrance will be on your left (and Beans & Bagels on your right).

Room Tip: Room 1001 is a huge Junior Suite on the corner with views of the harbor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lars133
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Great, modern hotel less than 10 minutes walk from Amsterdam Central Station. Decent size room, a very comfortable bed and excellent bathroom. Yes, the hotel is about 20min walk away from centre of Amsterdam but I didn't mind it. As for many places in Amsterdam you can rent a pushbike right at the hotel if you like to get around. I did not eat at the restaurant or had a drink at the bar but it looked nice.
With its proximity to Central Station you have easy access to and from the Airport. If you look for a place in Amsterdam away from the crowds and noise but still in easy reach of everything I would consider the Room Mate Aitana.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Having arrived in Amsterdam by train, I found it difficult to find directions to the hotel from anyone including a group of policemen. This though was due to it being a new hotel. But having got the required diections I found it to be around a 10 minute walk along the canal and under railway bridges and underpasses. As i got closer I saw it was built on an island alongside a marina which looked very impressive. The architecture of the hotel and its surrounding buildings (one of which was the courthouse) where all greatly impressive and gave me a great first impression of the area. But upon my arrival I found a great hotel, stylish and modern with a good clean look about it. Reception staff were very helpful and even asked me if i wanted to upgrade my room. Declining the upgrade i found myself in one excellent room with a corner window overlooking the marina, canal and across the city. Who needs a room upgrade. The meals in the hotel were first class and exceptional service and good quality.
The town centre is not too far away, around a 10 minute stroll depending on which route you take and end your evening with a drink or two on the hotels veranda.
Having only spent 3 nights here I would gladly have stayed longer. Great hotel, great staff great location.

Room Tip: If you are walking from the train station cross the wavey bridge at the back of the hotel, it saves...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo