“perfect!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Aitana is the perfect hotel, very cleaned and well maintained but most remarkable is the staff, everyone up to management is very kind, helpful and attentive. Check in was smooth and for a small supplement i was offered a room with view which was great.

Restaurant service just average and has to be improved, however i was told it is managed by an external company therefore i will not comment it here.

I will be back for sure!

1 Thank jean P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I very much agree with the previous reviewer 'a long way to go' except that I think that most of the matters raised are teething problems which often happens with new hotels. It took us 35 minutes to check in, the room was not cleaned until nearly 5 pm on each of our 4 nights there and this was not at all convenient. On the plus side I loved the design of the hotel , the staff were extemely helpful and the room was good ( though a bath would have been nice and though there was a balcony you couldn't get on it). I enjoyed my stay here and was not sorry I chose it though it is a little less central than I had expected.

Room Tip: We had a canal view room which was nice.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Lovely modern hotel. Lovely staff. Nice bagel place right opposite (handy for breakfast). Bit of a walk into town but it was no problem. Lovely shampoo in the room too. I asked the room cleaner if they sold it but she said they don't. Such a shame :-(.

• Stayed July 2014
      Cleanliness
LA, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

The philosophy of Room Mate Hotels, a relatively new Spanish chain, says their hotels are “not saturated with extras and services that are seldom used.” That’s fine if the price is right, but for an average of about $250 a night for one person, here’s how it affected my two day stay:

Over a 20 minute wait to check in, partly because hotel policy is to answer any questions after guests have checked in, since there is no concierge (“an extra?)

I needed some ice and looked for an ice bucket – none, and called the front desk to be told it is hotel policy not to put ice buckets in the rooms, yet there are ice machines on every other floor… Odd, yes, but not if you see ice buckets as “…seldom used extras…”

I looked for a room service menu; didn’t find one, called and when one was finally brought, I noted this: “dishes and drinks will be served in disposables.” – clearly proper dishes (and room service itself) are seen as another “extra that is seldom used.”

When the TV did not work, I called and was told the maintenance person was not available, but someone would be up to help. 30 minute later, someone showed up. There was indeed something wrong, and the person managed to fix it.

At breakfast the next morning, I noted an egg station, but no one manning it. During my 35 minutes at breakfast, there was no one there to make eggs. And at one point when I went to get a 2nd glass of juice, I came back to find my plate taken away, though I had not finished.

After all this began to mount up I asked to speak to management - not possible - instead I was directed to a junior guest relations person who apologized and said my comments would be “passed on” to management.

This hotel, given the prices paid, could do well to take on some of those extras and services they believe are “seldom used.”

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank hypefreetravel
Merijn V, Manager at Room Mate Aitana, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear hypefreetravel,

Thank you for giving such a candid and exhaustive review of your stay with us. As I assured you when I spoke to you in person, which was already after your stay unfortunately, I don't feel your experience reflects the experience we want our guests to have. The things you comment on don't necessarily reflect our philosophy, but are more a result of a number of things happening that should not have happened. I would again like to apologize for that.

We welcome all feedback as it can help us improve our product, and I can assure you we are taking your comments to heart. I sincerely hope you will give us another chance next time you are in Amsterdam.

I hope the e-mail I sent you after your departure has found you in good order. If not I cordially invite you to contact me directly on below contact details.

Kindest regards,

Room Mate Aitana
Merijn Veken
Accomodation Manager
m.veken@room-matehotels.com
Nice, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I loved every minute of my stay in Room Mate, staff very kind and helpful with great attitude, rooms and public areas are very clean. Lot of suggestions from the reception about museum and night life.

Very special design, different than traditional hotels,

Cleanliness
1 Thank filippo b
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Dear all

I have been at Aitana Room Mate Hotel for two days for business reasons. I have discover a nice beautiful hotel, very well located and modern one. Probably The best hotel in Amsterdam, for any reason you go there.

For many reasons is a very special hotel for me, but I want to remark its team. All members has been top class! Thank you for your work and sympathy!

I specially want to remark to ADRIANA, our Angel of Guard, allways on duty for us and giving The best service and friendship.

Thank you all, and best wishes!

Fernando Ramos

Room Tip: All rooms are perfect!
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

If you like modern, quiet, larger rooms, very good and friendly service, this is the place. Especially after an overnight flight. The hotel is isolated on an island, away from traffic (and bicycles), yet a few minutes walk to everything. The restaurant was very good in the evening and the bagel shop across the street was great for breakfast. Unless you are looking for the romantic look ( and lack of comfort) of an old hotel, this is a no-brainer.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple