“Great Choice” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Room Mate Aitana

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Ranked #29 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Great Choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

We thought long and hard about where to stay in Amsterdam and I’m glad we did. When we later saw some of the other hotels we had considered, we were sure we had made the perfect choice for our 3 night stay.
The hotel is so easy to get to. A simple train ride from the airport (4 Euros each) then a 10 minute walk to the hotel. It’s so close to Central Station.
The hotel itself is clean and modern. Our room was simple yet it had everything we needed. The bed was comfortable, the shower gorgeous. We were on the 5th floor and the huge window offered views over the surrounding neighbourhood (don’t forget to close the curtains when changing!). The room was very quiet, we struggled to hear traffic, trains, rain or neighbours.
The staff were friendly and helpful (which matched our experience throughout Amsterdam).
On the negative side (and I am being picky here!) we would have liked to turn the aircon fully off, a harder pillow would have been nice and the food in the hotel was rather expensive. This last point wasn’t a problem as you don’t have to walk too far to find a choice of cafes and restaurants.
You must be prepared to walk if you book this hotel. Dam Square is approx 2km away on foot. This doesn’t take too long and is an enjoyable walk.
We booked directly with the hotel as they had the best price.
On the whole I would definitely recommend this hotel. If we ever return to Amsterdam, we would come straight back to Room Mate Aitana.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor on the city side for best views
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jeffbenn04
Merijn V, Manager at Room Mate Aitana, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear Jeffben04,

Thank you for regarding our hotel as 'Great choice'! I am happy to read that after considering all those different hotels you were glad you stayed with us. That, together with your 5 star rating' is a great compliment which we sincerely appreciate!

It has been a pleasure having you as our guest, and we look forward to welcome you back to Room Mate Hotels!

m.veken@room-matehotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

I was a little apprehensive due to mixed reviews concerning location and staff but there was nothing to worry about! The hotel is about a 10minute walk from the back of central station. Getting to where the canals/shops are we found a shortcut, turn right out of the hotel, walk over the bridge, cross straight over the road, over another bridge, under a tunnel and your there!
On arrival the friendly receptionist gave us a warm welcome, explained where hotel facilities are located and also gave us a map circling all the museums etc we wanted to visit. Everything was walking distance! We had a twin room which was very clean and had a view over the water. The bathroom had a shower, no bath which was kept immaculate with clean towels and decent toiletries. Ladies there is a hairdryer. The mattress on the bed was fantastic, no way were we going to wake up with back ache!! The hotel was quiet, all the staff were friendly and the bar was reasonably priced. We did not eat in the restaurant so I can not comment on the food. I would definitely stay there again!
My only gripe was that the fire alarm did go off on the first night and the voice that came over on the speaker spoke in dutch so my friend had to go find out what was going on, was nothing to worry about.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rachel W
Merijn V, Manager at Room Mate Aitana, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear RachelW,

it was a pleasure to read your review here! As having a great bed and a great shower are some of the Room Mate pillars, I am thrilled to read you enjoyed these so much! Thank you for sharing the shortcut to the Jordaan canal area here, which is indeed only a short walk away. Thank you for commenting on the fire alarm text, we will look into improving this.

I am happy to read you had such a wonderful stay, it would be our pleasure to welcome you back on your next visit to Amsterdam!

kindest regards,

Uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

We checked into this hotel yesterday and had been a little worried after reading some negative reviews. Don't worry though - provided you visit in the knowledge that the hotel is a fair but pleasant walk from the city centre, you won't be disappointed. Rooms very comfortable - we asked for a room on the city side and were given one on the 6th floor so we can see the little dock as well as a limited view of the city (there are a lot of apartment buildings which limit the view in any direction). Room itself is spotlessly clean. Staff are very helpful and pleasant. Breakfast is served in the restaurant and with a window seat you get a lovely view over the water. Good selection of food at breakfast.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Amanda C
Dear Amanda C,

with great pleasure have I read your review..Loving it! What a great way to describe your stay. Receiving a 5 star review mean we must have met or exceeded your expectations, which is what we strive for.

Thank you for your stay with us, and we hope we may welcome you back at Room Mate Hotels!

Madrid, España
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

I felt like in a Five Stars Hotel because of the services and the quality of the room. The bathroom was perfectly clean, tidy and smelt well. Silence and quiet even if it is in the centre of the city. It was so important for me because I came to Amsterdam just for a business meeting and needed to get back to Spain too quick. I already miss Aitana. Compliments!

Room Tip: Eleventh floor room was the perfection for me.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Erickvaldivieso
Dear Erickvaldivieso,

To describe our hotel as a 5 star because of services and quality is a great honor, which we are very proud of! I am thrilled to read that you had such a relaxing stay with us. Thank you for your review, we are already looking forward to welcome you back to Room Mate Aitana!

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

King size bed with memory foam mattress help you have comfort sleep. Hotel is new and tidy. I stayed there at 26-27 Jan. There was a fire alarm at 5 AM. Speaker said in Dutch then English that all tenant should leave now and calm. When we evacuated to ground, there was no staff to help us or explain what happen. There was zero degree outdoor and all tenant went back to hotel lobby and wait. Firefighter came after 10 minutes. When firefighters left, the reception staff still not explain what happen until we asked. It was a false alarm. I think hotel should use speaker to explain it was a false alarm. It will comfort us.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank oandp12
Gold Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

Loved the beds and pillows. They were the most comfortable beds and pillows I have ever experienced in any of my hotels stays anywhere in the world. Rooms were large by European standards and nicely decorated. Only a 5-7 minute easy flat walk to Amsterdam Central Station and in a quiet area on the river. Staff was very friendly and even let me check in to my room early. I will most definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and family and use this hotel again myself.

The only problem I had was the slow wifi, but that won't stop me from returning.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Debra C
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

The hotel was great. The rooms and facilities are completely new and well taken care of, everything is tidy and clean. Rooms are spacious, comfy and nice. The beds are amazing! If you take a nap on one of those mattresses, you won't go out again later on! The staff is great, knowledgeable and very friendly. There was someone always taking care and helping us. We were a group of five and felt very comfortable, as if we were at home. I loved this hotel, from now on I will look if there's a roommate wherever I travel!

Room Tip: The beds are AMAZING! impecable mattress quality
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends