“Delightful!”

Norling Restaurant Amsterdam
Reserve with
Norling Restaurant Amsterdam is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #121 of 4,307 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Diner, Tibetan
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Description: Please enjoy our simply delicious Himalyan/Asian cuisine in the heart of Amsterdam. Norling Restaurant Amsterdam.
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

This Tibetan restaurant was near to our hotel and following reviews we tried it. Loved the fresh tasty food which made a great change!! Friendly attentive service. A must in my humble opinion!!!

4  Thank Littlewitchlady

Reviewed November 29, 2013

I already love this street for all the restaurants it offers. The late Mitsukuni might now have found its replacement in my heart. Mind you, it's not the same type of food, the first was Japanese and Norling is Tibetan. But hey, I'm always open for change!
The street ranges from touristy affordable, sometimes tasty joints to rather pricey hip restaurants.
So when my friend and I stumbled upon this new place, with shiny white tiles and a cute small sized dining room, we thought of looking at the menu out of curiosity (one is obviously not as accustomed to Tiban foods as one might be to Chinese, sushi or other steak houses) and we were prepared to walk away for fear of it being part of the overly priced fashionable section.
And there, to our best surprise, were main courses for an average-for-Amsterdam €15 to €20. My eye was caught almost immediately by the mysterious "creamy potatoes". I'm a sucker for potatoes in any shape, form and fashion so when we saw the very reasonable prices, we decided to give it a try.

Our actual best compliment for the place was to the service. It's wasn't fast or slow, it was just fine. But the staff was very welcoming and very ready to advise people (on veggie options, for instance).
I actually wish we'd been more than 2 as they have a couple of "menu dégustation" where you get to sample various dishes in a tapas kind of way, but they offer these only to groups of 3+ (bummer!).

The food wasn't amazingly surprising or fancy or never-seen-before but it was good, simple, and felt healthy.
I think most of the dishes come really close to proper Chinese food but what could you expect, with their common history and geographical location?

For the sweet teeth among us, you might feel a little let down as they do offer a small selection of desserts but these don't sound particularly exotic (ice cream and the likes).
Fortunately for me, I'm not one to be called a sweet tooth so I didn't mind so much.

It is also very well located right in the heart of Amsterdam's. The street has several (mostly gay) bars, it's very close to the Flower market, of most of the shopping streets and several other points of interests (too many to list here).

A thing to know: they have the option to pay by card but… the little machine is broken "at the moment" (which seems to have been for a couple of months already), so make sure to get cash, just in case (you'll find at least one cash machine at each end of the street).

To conclude, I would, have and will again recommend this place to friends and family and will definitely go back!

4  Thank LilRedFrog
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My wife and I were walking the streets of Amsterdam looking for some interesting food. We called up Tripadvisor on the phone, liked the sound of this place and went along our way. Luckily we went fairly early (545 pm) and got right in, the place filled up right after we got there.

Never having had Tibetan food before we asked the server for recommendations. We had some steamed dumplings for an appetizer and then had chicken curry, lamb chili and white/fried rice.

The meal and the service were top notch. Not a complaint about anything, this place is a must try.

5  Thank jthomps22
Reviewed November 23, 2013

This place is an amazing little restaurant in the heart of Amsterdam. After looking up the amazing reviews on Trip Advisor, my partner and I decided we would try out this place expecting an old well-established restaurant.... we were surprised as it was only 6 months old. When we got there the owner greeted us and asked if he could help us, not being pushy to enter his restaurant at all. I mentioned that I was lactose intolerant, and within a second he pointed out all the food I could eat - he truly knew his menu! This brought us instantly and we entered. We decided to try out all the starters as a kind of tapas meal, each and every one was made fresh and to perfection. When I ordered a glass of wine he told us that the building use to be a french winery and this was the wine made here - he liked to keep the history of the building alive, and then took us on a tour of the restaurant - definitely worth asking if you decide to visit. Great little place - Oh and only cost us about €20 each!

3  Thank Claire1644
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Don't miss this place! A charming young Tibetan owner that brings the taste and the spirit of Tibet to the heart of Amsterdam. Delicious food and great service. Everything we had was very tasty and we could not decide on the best dish! The house wine was nice but next time we will take the Rioja . Go!

4  Thank sheleg710