“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars

Himalayan Kitchen
Ranked #1,273 of 3,334 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Nepali, Tibetan
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Dear guests,We warmly welcome you in the Himalayan Kitchen restaurant. Our restaurant has been named after the highest mountains in the world.The Nepali and Indian kitchen relies on the age-old art of mixing herbs and spices. Just as ancient are the strict preparation criteria that vary according to climate, products available in a certain region, religion, and culture.Besides the written and unwritten laws of the Nepali and Indian kitchen we try to also let you encounter the unique taste of our own kitchen. We developed this taste over the years we have already been working in Amsterdam. Our chef cook has an exceptional culinary talent and uses fresh ingredients, unique and refined spice combinations, and an impeccable preparation manner to provide you with a freshly-prepared meal that.You can indicate your desired spice level and our cooks will be sure that the dishes are prepared accordingly.We do everything to accommodate your wishes, and we hope that you will feel at home here and enjoy your meal.
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I recently visited Amsterdam with my wife and we were looking for a warm filling meal somewhere close to where we were staying. We arrived on a Sunday and were drawn to the small intimate crowd dining at this establishment. We walked in out of the summer evening and were graciously greeted and seated. The meal we ordered was enough for two so we indulged on delicious appetizers. I also had a Cobra beer. Delicious! The service was top notch as we were treated to a 3 course meal for under 30 euros. I kid you not we tried a nice diverse array of foods in Amsterdam but this restaurant spoke to us. WE WENT Back 3 times that week!!!!!!!!! Just because I had to try different dishes. Amsterdam had some great restaurants but this is easily one of the best. Feels like a home cooked meal. We were lucky enough to enjoy the World Cup with them one evening as well. Everyone else in the country was at a bar. We were here enjoying a wonderful meal and watching the game with them. Very warm people and great cooks. I can't recommend enough. Thanks for taking care of us and We Will Be back!!!!!!!!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Marcus R

London, United Kingdom
“A very nice experience with Indian cuisine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

The ambience was taking me back home! Food was very good. A friendly service makes you very welcome!

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank SivaKS
“Great authentic Nepalese food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

We had a lovely dinner here yesterday. The food was just like it would taste in Nepal and also the prices aren't high at all. The staff was superfriendly. I would definately recommend this place!

• Visited May 2014
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“An Englishman Impressed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Spoilt in England with the variety of Nepalise,Indian and Balti food on offer I was extremely impressed with the quality of the cuisine.Easter Monday evening after a day in the Dam I had this restaurant marked on my possibles.Lovely people,lovely place and excellent fare....I call in again on my next visit.17 tram gets you very close. I can smell the food as I write......A trip to Nepal makes my bucket list!

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars
2 Thank Mahler1860
Lisbon
“Slow kitchen...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

We chose this restaurant after looking up some recommendations on tripadvisor.
All in all, reviews were promissing so we head out for dinner. Since it is located in a very quiet neighbourhood and wasn't packed, we figuered the service would be quick, compared to other places in city centre, where food is great but you always have to prepare fo a queue.
The waiters were nice but we were on an empty stomach and 1 hour and 15 minutes is certainly too much for a place half full (I would say there were another 20 customers).
The wait was sooo long that when our food came we had lost our appetite...The food was good though

• Visited March 2014