“Would have been perfect”
Review of Umami Amsterdam - CLOSED

Umami Amsterdam
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese, Fusion
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centrum
Reviewed October 31, 2014

The restaurant has changed name to Restaurant Miu. The experience would have been perfect, except for that the waitress spilling wine on my girlfriend, and then made no effort to rectify the situation. We had to ask for the wine to be removed from the bill. We also arrived a little late, so the kitchen closed before we could finish all our rounds. But despite all this, it's a restaurant worth visting, just be sure to get there long before 10, as that's when the kitchen closes.

1  Thank Nikolai L

Reviewed October 8, 2014

I really enjoyed this Asian Fusion restaurant, and probably one of the more successful ones I have been.
Dont be fooled by the outdated exterior & menus outside as the interior is vastly different. A very contemporary dark feel inside, and definitely a type of place you would like to go as a couple.

The menu was a 5 course, consisting for 2 dishes each of your choice from the menu for $25 which I thought was excellent value. I was satisfied by course 4, and over-indulging by course 5.

Like others I would advise to keep an eye on the drinks bill. I only had water which still costs 6 euros.

Must haves, are their Beijing Duck (which they intelligently used crispy tobacco onion to layer the bottom of the duck to give a complete crunchy finish), and their scallops in shell (which wasn't very pleasing to look at, but surprisingly delicious). Another honourable mention would be their lamb racks, which was cooked to perfection.

Service was a hit and miss. the girl who served me was excellent, with great attention to detail and explained the menu to me clearly. Other tables which I have observed, were not so good. Waiters clashing into each other causing drinks to spill over a table, which they started arguing instead of apologising to customers is a bad thing. Certain staff also seem to have different attitude to different customers, from smiling and laughing to one, to a condescing nature to another. But my personal experience was a very good one.

Overall, I would recommend this place, as the food and decor is excellent and service can be too.

2  Thank Shun W
Reviewed October 5, 2014 via mobile

Visited without fully reading the reviews here. Take time to understand and choose wisely as a poor choice has to be eaten in full before you are "allowed" to order more. Our waitress was hopeless that night, explained nothing and did not provide a basic level of service but she was not representative of the other staff.

If you have a good appetite and provide the time to eat this is good quality food at a great price and more than you can eat. The environment is very pleasant.

Great for a group of people, I would advise starting with perhaps a single dish each rather than two dishes as you will never manage to eat 5 courses of two dishes.

Reviewed October 3, 2014

We went for dinner with some colleagues and it was a great surprise. Despite the fact that the place was very little crowded, we were suggested a 25€ menu per person that included 5 choices of good food, with the only limitation that we would have been charged more if we left something.
This of course did not happen, since the food was satisfactory, well prepared and tasty. Service was very good as well.
I definitely recommend this place.

Reviewed September 23, 2014 via mobile

This is such a perfect restaurant. Good service abd very nice food!!!!
They have a big variety of dishes all very tastefull.
Would defenitly come back!
The restaurant is vehind the Dam Palace. In the middle of the center.
The wines are very exprnsive though. Keep that in mind, a Chardonnay was 6€!!!