“Great food at very affordable prices”
Review of Umami Amsterdam - CLOSED

Umami Amsterdam
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese, Fusion
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centrum
Reviewed October 3, 2014

We went for dinner with some colleagues and it was a great surprise. Despite the fact that the place was very little crowded, we were suggested a 25€ menu per person that included 5 choices of good food, with the only limitation that we would have been charged more if we left something.
This of course did not happen, since the food was satisfactory, well prepared and tasty. Service was very good as well.
I definitely recommend this place.

Reviewed September 23, 2014 via mobile

This is such a perfect restaurant. Good service abd very nice food!!!!
They have a big variety of dishes all very tastefull.
Would defenitly come back!
The restaurant is vehind the Dam Palace. In the middle of the center.
The wines are very exprnsive though. Keep that in mind, a Chardonnay was 6€!!!

Reviewed September 20, 2014 via mobile

Good priced food.
But beware....
Place tricks you into 6 euro bottles of water and pricey beer.

So ask for the cost of drinks before you buy.

If you know this classic restaurant trap your in for some okay food and a good deal, served by good staff.
Cool ambience and free of the usual city DB,s.

1  Thank neil g
Reviewed September 13, 2014

Despite an underwhelming exterior, the restaurant inside is stylish and atmospheric. The food (sushi, japanese, asian) was interesting, and suited the "all-you-can-eat" concept. I think this place was relatively good value for money - the food definitely was, but they do try to make up for it by charging 3 euros for 200ml soft drinks bottles! Several of the items we ordered came with mayonnaise-based sauces, but I think that is a Dutch thing rather than specific to this restaurant. Particular food recommendations are the tempura prawns (which I ordered for every round!) and beef in black bean sauce. Only thing I think they might consider changing is to offer some sort of noodle or rice accompaniments. Very friendly service too. I have been to a couple of "all-you-can-eat" sushi places in Amsterdam before, and have felt as though the staff were actively avoiding eye contact to delay our placing another round of orders, but at Umami the staff were over to collect our orders within a minute or two, and the food arrived very quickly too. I would definitely go again if in Amsterdam.

2  Thank Alexa H
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Ate here twice on a 5 day break to Amsterdam with my 14 yr old son. Concept is simple; 2 items per person ordered, eat them & order 2 more items each until full. First time we had managed 3 times, 2nd visit we ordered 4 times. Current price is €25 per person (€15/child)
My son is a sushi freak so ordered salmon sashimi, mixed sushi, prawn tolls and salmon rolls, all of which he loved. I had the lamb chops, prawn tempura, duck, crispy white fish and a crayfish quenelle salad. All was really yummy!

Service was great and I got a free beer on my second visit.

I will definitely come back on our next visit.

2  Thank Elise C