“Worth a visit”

Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese, Fusion
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centrum
Reviewed September 13, 2014

Despite an underwhelming exterior, the restaurant inside is stylish and atmospheric. The food (sushi, japanese, asian) was interesting, and suited the "all-you-can-eat" concept. I think this place was relatively good value for money - the food definitely was, but they do try to make up for it by charging 3 euros for 200ml soft drinks bottles! Several of the items we ordered came with mayonnaise-based sauces, but I think that is a Dutch thing rather than specific to this restaurant. Particular food recommendations are the tempura prawns (which I ordered for every round!) and beef in black bean sauce. Only thing I think they might consider changing is to offer some sort of noodle or rice accompaniments. Very friendly service too. I have been to a couple of "all-you-can-eat" sushi places in Amsterdam before, and have felt as though the staff were actively avoiding eye contact to delay our placing another round of orders, but at Umami the staff were over to collect our orders within a minute or two, and the food arrived very quickly too. I would definitely go again if in Amsterdam.

2  Thank Alexa H

Reviewed August 8, 2014

Ate here twice on a 5 day break to Amsterdam with my 14 yr old son. Concept is simple; 2 items per person ordered, eat them & order 2 more items each until full. First time we had managed 3 times, 2nd visit we ordered 4 times. Current price is €25 per person (€15/child)
My son is a sushi freak so ordered salmon sashimi, mixed sushi, prawn tolls and salmon rolls, all of which he loved. I had the lamb chops, prawn tempura, duck, crispy white fish and a crayfish quenelle salad. All was really yummy!

Service was great and I got a free beer on my second visit.

I will definitely come back on our next visit.

2  Thank Elise C
Reviewed July 29, 2014

I ate at Umami twice. Their sushi menu is very limited- only salmon and california maki are actually worth re-ordering and recommending. I was also able to try mussles and sweet and sour shrimp. The mussles were in a really tasty sauce. I do recommend the place, especially the two maki rolls. Umami has a great atmosphere- it's dark inside so you can really taste the food.

Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

Having read the reviews on here we decided to give it a try. The restaurant was busy but we didn't need a reservation. It doesn't look much from the front but when you walk down to the main restaurant you get the feeling of a relaxed atmosphere and nice ambience. Being in the height of tourist season we expected it to be busier than it was (no complaints) considering its location.

We only managed three courses from the menu. It was really good with lots of varied options. Be prepared to have lots of fun with the chopsticks.

The drinks were a bit pricey but overall our meal and drinks for two was €88. Well worth it.

Would definitely recommend and visit again if we are back in Amsterdam.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

You order 2 dishes pp for 4 servings(€25), and after the third serving we were so full we had to throw in the towel. Very good food.