“Great food and great service.”
Review of Umami Amsterdam - CLOSED

Umami Amsterdam
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese, Fusion
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centrum
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Ate here twice on a 5 day break to Amsterdam with my 14 yr old son. Concept is simple; 2 items per person ordered, eat them & order 2 more items each until full. First time we had managed 3 times, 2nd visit we ordered 4 times. Current price is €25 per person (€15/child)
My son is a sushi freak so ordered salmon sashimi, mixed sushi, prawn tolls and salmon rolls, all of which he loved. I had the lamb chops, prawn tempura, duck, crispy white fish and a crayfish quenelle salad. All was really yummy!

Service was great and I got a free beer on my second visit.

I will definitely come back on our next visit.

2  Thank Elise C

Reviewed July 29, 2014

I ate at Umami twice. Their sushi menu is very limited- only salmon and california maki are actually worth re-ordering and recommending. I was also able to try mussles and sweet and sour shrimp. The mussles were in a really tasty sauce. I do recommend the place, especially the two maki rolls. Umami has a great atmosphere- it's dark inside so you can really taste the food.

Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

Having read the reviews on here we decided to give it a try. The restaurant was busy but we didn't need a reservation. It doesn't look much from the front but when you walk down to the main restaurant you get the feeling of a relaxed atmosphere and nice ambience. Being in the height of tourist season we expected it to be busier than it was (no complaints) considering its location.

We only managed three courses from the menu. It was really good with lots of varied options. Be prepared to have lots of fun with the chopsticks.

The drinks were a bit pricey but overall our meal and drinks for two was €88. Well worth it.

Would definitely recommend and visit again if we are back in Amsterdam.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

You order 2 dishes pp for 4 servings(€25), and after the third serving we were so full we had to throw in the towel. Very good food.

Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

We went there and didn't know what to expect not what the concept was really about which I can help you understand now. Basically it's all you can eat for 3 hours. Its 25 € pp and each person chooses two courses per round. You have as many rounds as youd like. We had three rounds and a dessert (not included). The food is absolutely amazing and I'm almost drooling just thinking bout it. The prawn tempura and the salmon sashimi is WOW! 84,6 € in total with wine and beer. Atmosphere was great whether you are a family, couple, friends or even for business. Service was excellent and we've actually talked about going to Amsterdam again just to eat there again.