All reviews flights of stairs a lovely night stay dressing table carried our bags dutch house the breakfast area train station home away from home b bs great hosts nespresso machine definitely stay here again huge bathroom third floor on arrival walking distance perfect location
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I have visited Amsterdam many times and stayed in other places around Old Town and decided to go for this newer B&B that had just opened recently. I wanted the experience of the old Canal House charme and sure got it. Yes, the stairs... folks, ... this is Amsterdam, that's how they are built, you will have to lug your suitcases a grueling narrow and winding staircase but the owners will help gladly help you with all. But if you're not used to this... watch your step, lol, especially after a long night out *hint*. Felt like staying with family. The breakfast area is cozy and the breakfast had quite a variety. You can access the room 24/7 , there is always something to snack on. My friends and I spent quite some time up there, chatting with the super-friendly owners over coffee. They were too nice, at one point I had issues with my just purchased sim card and he let me use his cel phone to call a number that charges per minute, to resolve my situation -just goes to show how awesome these two are. The room was very cute and comfy, I booked the Double Dutch and it was bigger than what I 'm used to in Amsterdam , example: I stay usually in Hotel Estheria ...it is by far pricier but way smaller rooms...Everything was footsteps away. What we did not know is that we are in the ...whatchamacallit... borderline gay red / pink light district... whatever it is... it's interesting to walk back to your B&B at night =) . But no worries, very safe and awesome location. My first days I spent solo in Amsterdam as a single traveling female, so I can assure you, it is absolutely safe to walk around at all times. Make sure to pay attention to detail prior arrival in terms of the B&B, there is no sign outside the B&B, just watch for the red shutters, because it's easy to miss. And make sure to work out your arrival time that it coincides with the owners present, so you get access, as the heavy wood door is locked during all times and the office is upstairs and you will first need a key. That is only an issue if arrive in the middle of the night and have to ring the bell, which would wake everyone up, lol, but like I stated, the owners go out of their way to make sure your stay is enjoyable and trouble-free. I highly recommend Crown B & B.

Room Tip: I had the Double Dutch Room for myself, cute and cozy, watch that shower though. It is spacious enough for 2 people.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I came to Crown not knowing what to expect since I have never stayed in Bed & Breakfast before.
To my big surprise it was such a nice experience. Very personal approach , home feeling. My room was big and clean. Very quiet and comfortable. Breakfast was nice, fresh and plenty of choice. Surely will stay in Bed & Breakfast next time I travel, hopefully will be as good as this one!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We have just spent two nights at the Crown, and loved it. It's situated about 10 mins walk from the Centraal Station, and is up 3 flights of very steep, Dutch stairs, so it wouldn't be suitable if you have mobility issues (but great for the gluteal workout!). Once up there, the rooms are lovely. Our room was (I think) one of the smaller ones, yet still a really decent size for the two of us. We overlooked Spuistraat, and there were the usual 'busy city' noises, but nothing untoward. The bed was incredibly comfortable, the shower great, and there was plenty of space for us to put clothes etc. the only tiny thing I'd have changed (sorry for not mentioning it earlier Angelo!) was that I could have done with a separate towel for my hair, but the magnificent hairdryer more than made up for that! In fact, it's easily the best hairdryer I have ever encountered on holiday! there is a fridge in the room, not mini bar service, but there so you can take your own water, juices etc. in.

We had a lovely welcome from Angelo, who provided us with a much needed cool drink, map, suggestions for places to eat and places to visit. He is on hand if you need any assistance, but isn't obtrusive at all. Breakfast is self-service, but Angelo is on hand to help with eggs etc. (we didn't have the eggs as we keep chickens at home so have eggs a lot!). Breakfast was terrific; lots of cold meats, cheese and breads to choose from, as well as a Nespresso machine which we rather liked! Angelo keeps a bit of an 'open house' in that you can help yourself to juice or water from the fridge, or a coffee if you don't fancy the tea and coffee in your room.

We packed a fair bit into our two days, and didn't rally want to lug our holdall round with us today. No problem: Angelo has a system in place whereby you can leave your luggage after you've checked out, and pick it up later. This was great for us, as it meant we were luggage-free all day.

We both agreed we'd not look any further if we're going to go back to Amsterdam. Thanks to Angelo for making our stay such a happy one!

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back of the building if you're sensitive to street noise.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2013

It was just perfect! I met amazing friendly and helpful host who takes care, answers all questions and in general is making sure the guests are comfortable. The room as well bathroom were huge; comfy bed, very neat and clean. The breakfast was exceptional in the variety of choices, a good food quality and freshness. There's no other B&B that can ever compete this cozy nice place!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Great, friendly staff! Angelo was excellent and we cannot wait to return! It was in a good location but was on a peacefully quiet street. It was my first time to Amsterdam and the staff had information about all the museums, events, helpful maps and insight on some of the best restaurants around.

• Stayed: May 2013