WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #18 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Toronto
“Beyond wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2014

Booked hotel after TripAdvisor said the one I booked had "biting ants." Okay then.
We arrived at the hotel after a dishonest cab driver (I should have spotted it at the station, my fault) had taken me far far away from Central Station and charged me 25 euros. We were arguing and we dragged our bags into the hotel for help. The hotel calmed things down, the man went away with 15 after a scene and the manager gave us a glass of wine to start our first visit to Amsterdam in a better spirit. They opened a bottle for us.
What kind people, but we found Dutch people to be like that, so friendly and relaxed about pleasure.
We spent five nights there. The front desk staff were marvellous throughout, the rooms spacious and just frighteningly cool, so original and comfortable. We were in 302 and yes, you're right, the back of the hotel is completely quiet, which I needed as it was a work trip. I don't see a problem with lack of storage; there were huge open shelves for everything (I wish more hotels did this) and the safe worked. The hair dryer was not great, but they never are, nowhere. Loved the huge shower, a room really.
But the stunner is the Lobby Restaurant. The food there was, I think, even better than in Paris. It's partly the brilliant cooking and invention but also that the ingredients are clearly so fresh. I had the corvina, the chimichurri, the mullet, etc. and all were wonderful. I don't eat desserts. The desserts here were irresistible. On my last night I had the Buttermilk Mousse which was the best dessert I have ever tasted, so light and fresh and the strawberries were small, sweet and perfect.
I'm picky about hotels. They can easily destroy a vacation and on a work trip, the hotel room is a refuge from a difficult day. The Hotel V Nesplein was a small perfect Dutch version of my favourite hotel in London, the St. Pancras, and this astounds me because they spent oh, a hundred million pounds on that one, and the food there is good.
I loved this hotel and recommend it to everyone. The location is so central and once you find this tiny alleyway, you have Amsterdam waiting for you.

Room Tip: Yes, the rooms at the back are very quiet, you'll need that near Dam Square. The front desk has...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank charlenecolbert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2014

I was lucky enough to stay here during a recent business trip to Amsterdam. I was pleased when I discovered that the hotel was both central and near to the office that I was visiting but that was just the start! I soon discovered what an individual and stylish place this is and a fantastic place to stay.
After a friendly welcome and a very efficient check-in process (the room had already been paid for so I just had to provide ID) I took the lift to my room and my jaw dropped! I stay in a lot of hotels and this is only the second time I've bothered to write a review. I had a very large room and a large, comfortable bed and a very large TV. The style of the decor is modern and individual - something quite different from the standard hotels and gives the hotel a very distinctive personality.
The location of the hotel is a perfect base for exploring central Amsterdam and it is open 24 hours so you can be out as late as you like. Don't be fooled into thinking you won't sleep, though! I've stayed in several hotels in Amsterdam where noise can be a big problem but not here. Located in a side street you have the best of both worlds of location and peace.
Breakfast the next day was in the Lobby restaurant, a large modern place sharing its sense of style with the hotel. Staff were very friendly and the food was great. I had ignored advice to eat there the evening before, which I thoroughly regretted.
All in all a wonderful, stylish and friendly hotel and I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: From what I have seen all the rooms are great, just different sizes, but even the smallest are far f...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Adam C
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights on our first visit to Amsterdam, and I loved it from the minute I walked in. The staff are very welcoming & friendly and will assist you however they can.
The room was the perfect size for us, with gorgeous industrial decor, super comfy beds and a huge shower head which I loved. This hotel is walking distance to the canals with cute shops & cafes and everything you need.
We had a delicious breakfast every day, and I honestly had one of the best meals EVER for dinner - the farm fowl with chimmichurri. YUM. It was amazing.
I highly recommend this hotel for anyone visiting this beautiful city.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank milly_g1
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

Good clean place with very helpful staff. Comfortable beds. Good bathrooms. Nothing to complain about. Well located. The staff have a wealth of information on things to see and do in Amsterdam away from the usual tourist traps.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jdshahke
Amsterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2014

A wonderful gem of a hotel tucked away near Dam Square. Wonderful staff, very comfortable beds and a restaurant that was a great destination in itself. I would thoroughly recommend this and would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Morag W
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

Nice, clean, friendly staff, and excellent location!

Could walk to all main sites from this hotel, very quiet during night so no issues when sleeping.

The restaurant looked wonderful, did not have a chance to eat there buy the reviews are excellent. Will recommend.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amarofabiola
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

I agree with all the good things said in the ratings. Great location, comfortable beds, very nice restaurant for both breakfast and dinner. To me the rooms are a tad quirky, no rugs, no cabinet though ample storage space. A very comfortable hotel nonetheless.
The service however is some of the best I have encountered anywhere. I have never seen anyone as helpful, friendly and dedicated as Wendy at the front desk. We arrived at the airport at 09:30 on King's Day. The center of Amsterdam was closed to all traffic and Wendy moved heaven and earth to get us to the second V hotel and have our luggage transferred to the Nesplein for free as soon as the traffic allowed. She personally helped make our trip a smashing success.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple