“Top quality discreet restaurant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Carlitos Gardel

Carlitos Gardel
Ranked #1,076 of 3,373 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: De Pijp
Anglesey
“Top quality discreet restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We like to sniff out our own venues without consulting advice on internet. We choose a restaurant or pub by its 'feel'. We had four nights in Amsterdam and generally good meals but only on our last afternoon did we find Frans Halsstraat and immediately noted Carlitos Gardel. Our dinner that night was superb. The proprietor was welcoming and although working on his own, provided excellent service. We were given warm garlic bread (gratis) and although I only ordered a house wine, the bottle was brought to the table to authenticate an Argentinian Medoc. My husband ordered the unlimited spare ribs - but could not manage more than the one helping. They were excellent. I like my steak rare to medium and it arrived perfectly cooked - well done chef. The salads and chips were gargantuan helpings, the chips crisp as they should be, the salad far more than simple lettuce and tomato. My husband asked for ice-cream and was given a delicious concoction of substantial proportions - enough for me to enjoy a couple of teaspoons as well. My coffee was of course excellent, as most coffee is in Amsterdam. The overall price was absolutely fair - E37 for the food, without drinks - a far better value than we would have in UK for the same quality food.
We highly recommend Carlitos Gardel and thank the hosts for a lovely evening.

• Visited March 2014

• Greek first
London, United Kingdom
“Couldn't recommend this place more!! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Found this place on tripadvisor, as we fancied steak and didn't want to head into any of the questionable looking places in the old town.

Was quite quiet, but they said it's new, so i understand that. We shared the mixed grill, at 46 euros it wasn't massively cheap but would easily feed 3. We had lamb, ribs, two cuts of steak, and sausage and it came with corn, chips and salad. It seemed much better value than the rest of the menu and really was fantastic!

The waiter was friendly, and 3.5 euros for a glass of reasonable Malbec is decent. Had a few drinks each and it was only just over 60 euros for the meal. It really was incredible and we were stuffed.

I'd definitely recommend it, it's in a nice quiet area too but with a few decent bars nearby for a few drinks afterwards.

“Amazing Non Tourist Steakhouse!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Chose this because it was the top steakhouse on tripadvisor, and because it wasn't one of the numerous chain steak houses. 10 minutes off the tourist track and couldn't have been happier. True top quality steak, fantastic sides and amazing service, would recommend to anyone and would go out of my way to go back!

Visited February 2014
Preston, England, United Kingdom
“Amazing steak!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Lovely restaurant just off museum square. Being the middle of January we were the only table in the restaurant (which normally is a bit daunting) but we were made to feel really welcome and the service was great from start to finish.

We ordered the empanadas to start which were delicious- being the daughter of an Argentine and having lived in Argentina for a few years I was really curious to try them here. I have never come across the choclo empanadas but was pleasantly surprised. We both ordered rib eye steaks which were to die for and cooked to perfection. I ordered mine with rice and my boyfriend with chips, which were also accompanied by a lovely little side salad. We had a bottle of the Chilean Sauvignon Blanc which was also just right. No room for any desserts but our meal was really great and at a reasonable price.

Would definitely recommend you try this little restaurant! The only thing that would have made it even better was if the music had been more authentic, perhaps Tango!

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Andrea S
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

I recently visited from England and was after a good steakhouse in Amsterdam for my girlfriends birthday. I happened to come across Carlitos Gardel and I was not disappointed. We went in a group of 4 and everybody had a different main each persons steak melted in your mouth and was cooked to perfection. The food was so tasty and the service was very good, everyone was so friendly and made us feel so welcome.

If you like steak give this place a try you will not be disappointed! Worth the visit.