Bed & Breakfast Helmers
$256
$905
$347
  • Restaurant
Hotel Van Gogh(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
$132
$89
Hostelworld.com
All reviewsroof terraceevery morningfresh bread deliveredsteep stairslovely home from homeyogurtroom fridgewithin walking distanceenjoyed our night stayhelpful hoststravel lighthired bikeswould highly recommend staying herethree nightsa great stayamsterdam experiencemuseum district
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Spent a weekend with friends in Amsterdam and stayed at Bed & Breakfast Helmers. This was an experience that I felt I really needed to share. It was MARVELLOUS. The rooms are beautifully decorated with a lovely eye for detail. First class amenities including lovely bathrobes, slippers and towels. We enjoyed beautiful sunny, warm weather and after exploring Amsterdam all day on foot, we returned to Helmers to freshen up before going out for a meal in the evening. Odette suggested that we relax on the rooftop terrace - an offer that we happily accepted. We went up and found a beautiful large terrace overlooking the city of Amsterdam decorated with lovely furniture and flower boxes filled with colourful flowers. We put our feet up and enjoyed a complimentary bottle of dry white wine! Perfect! Refreshed and relaxed we were ready to venture out for the evening and arrived back tired and ready for a good night's sleep. The beds are extremely comfortable and we woke up in the morning feeling revived. Odette and Fons suggested we take our breakfast on the rooftop and again we happily accepted the offer. Breakfast was superb. Hot rolls, croissants and biscuits. Delicious cold cuts, cheeses and smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. Lovely jam and preserve all accompanied by freshly squeezed orange juice, a blackberry smoothie and delicious coffee and tea! One of the best experiences I have ever had at a B&B or first class hotel for that matter. Besides the top notch service and quality, this B&B is centrally located across the road from the famous Vondelpark, 5 minutes from all the great Museums and the Leidseplein and the Jordaan with its quaint buildings, restaurants, cafes and speciality shops. We left feeling very pleased and will be making plans to return soon.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Just wanted to share my thoughts from my trip to Amsterdam. The best things at Helmers are the breakfasts and Odette herself. She is a lovely woman who makes a damn good breakfast. We didn't even need to eat lunch after them! She talked to us each morning about what we'd seen and made some good suggestions that we took her up on (i.e. the canal tours were actually really nice and informative --- and kept us out of the rain and wind)

Good location near the museums, a short walk/tram ride into the city center.

Beware the stairs. If you have really heavy bags are aren't good with steep stairs (for 3 flights), then this might not be the place for you. I didn't mind and neither did my friend.

Also, I would just caution travelers, this isn't a hotel with a front desk. Confirm with Odette when you expect to arrive. Our plans changed and when we got there, no one answered the buzzer. Thankfully my travel companion had opted for an international plan and we were able to call her (she was outside the city but promised to return within the hour), but otherwise we would have been stuck outside wondering if/when someone would return to let us in.

I enjoyed taking a bath in the giant tub and using some wonderful products Odette had left for our use. But I had to wait until super late not to conflict with anyone else staying who may need the bathroom. I also could hear some guest use the bathroom next to our room one early morning. Unfortunately the sound carried right into our room. But it was only a problem once. We also had poor weather and didn't get to make use of what seemed like an amazing roof.

Definitely go to the Jordaan, and easy walk from the B&B. Fewer tourists, super cute, great place to take pictures of the canals, smaller shops featuring more artistic fare than what you'll find downtown.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 7, 2014

This incredibly central location is where sophistication meets home. I had the pleasure of staying in the Helmers B&B several times over a three month period. Every room is perfectly manicured to be both classically Dutch and with a sleek modern appeal. This B&B possesses the ambiance of a Upper West Side New York city home. Tucked next door to Vondelpark, Museumplein, Leidseplein and only a short walk or train ride from the Flower Market, Dam Square and Central.. there is truly something for everyone to enjoy. Odette, the owner, servers a beautiful breakfast adorned with perfectly fresh fruits, yogurts, eggs cooked to perfection, lox, hot bread rolls and Dutch Cheese to die for. If starting your morning off with a spread like that isn't enough, this B&B family radiates warmth and welcoming by offering you directions and recommendations with a native perspective that the average traveler would surely have missed. I stayed in other B&B's and hotels in Amsterdam but I can not recommend this one enough if your looking for a quality nice sleep in comfortable beds with an ideal location and welcoming atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Tameka E
Reviewed April 27, 2014

This was our first time in Amsterdam and this B&B was the perfect solution, closer to museums and city centre. Odette, the owner, took care for us of each little detail and we felt in her B&B like at home. Surely, we remember her breakfast served in the room or in the beatiful panoramic terrace on the roof and her tips on place to see and restaurants! Surely, next time will come back at B&B Helmers again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2014

My husband, 12-year-old son and I did our first family trip to Europe this month. We travelled to three countries in 11 days, and Helmers B&B in Amsterdam was our home for the last 2 nights of our trip. I can't say enough about how welcoming Odette and her husband were, or how beautiful and well-run the B&B is. We were in the Vermeer room (front corner of the house) and our son was next door in the Rembrandt room. The rooms were spotless, with very comfortable linens and pillows, and nice bathrobes available. Odette had left us a bottle of wine in the room fridge, which we enjoyed on the rooftop patio looking over Amsterdam. Also in the room fridge was a large bottle of cold water, and on the side table was a kettle and supplies for making tea and coffee. Now that I'm home, I'm missing that wonderful touch...first cup of coffee in bed - heaven!

The little kitchen had everything you needed to make a light meal if you wanted to stay in, and the rooftop terrace was a wonderful place to sit and enjoy. The shared bathroom was absolutely no problem. It was spotless, and had luxury products for guest's to use.

Odette brought the three of us a beautiful breakfast every morning. I can't eat wheat so she very kindly provided spelt bread for me.

Our son loved his room so much we could hardly get him out to enjoy Amsterdam, but when we did, the neighbourhood was amazing. We took the tram from the train station following Odette's instructions. We walked in nearby Vondel Park, did a canal cruise about 5 minutes walk from the B&B, and easily walked to Anne Frank house, the Van Gogh museum, and Dam square. The neighbourhood is full of restaurants, shops, food markets, and cafes.

There is a steep flight of stairs, so if you have a lot of luggage or can't do stairs, this is not a good place for you. We enjoyed the stairs - we felt it was part of the Amsterdam experience!

I only wish we could have stayed longer - we had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: If you have any issue with street noise, you should ask for a back room. But with the windows tightly closed, the noise is not an issue.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family