“profoundly average, tourist trap steakhouse”

La Luna Steakhouse Grill
Reserve with
La Luna Steakhouse Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #161 of 4,003 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Food was very average steakhouse, cheaply designed. They rip you off by charging 2 euros for sauces, 5 for bread but neglect to tell u such when offering. Service focuses more on coralling sucker tourist like us in

There are newer reviews for La Luna Steakhouse Grill

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We had seen the restaurant on trip advisor and had to give it a try.
The owner was nice and friendly, spoke to us both (not just my boyfriend), was happy to explain what was in the sauces/deserts and give my boyfriend the wifi password which was a nice added extra.
i had the 200g rump and my boyfriend had the 300g sirloin steak , both cooked perfectly to our requirements. It wasn't cheap but then steak never is.
Try the Argentine sauce and the argentine dessert both very good. The desserts looked and tasted so good I had to take a picture.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Me and my 2 friends visited on my last night in Amsterdam after booking in advance. On arrival, we were greeted by a charming man called Mario. He seated us promptly, gave us a brief of the menu and summoned his waiter to take our drinks orders.

While waiting for our drinks, I saw Mario in action. Being based in Leidseplein, it's common for restaurants to stand outside their establishments touting for business. Mario was no exception.

Being a Londoner, I'm used to being hassled by touters outside Brick Lane's many curry establishments. I don't like being sold to so I always walk away.

I also have a few rules when it comes to touting: the louder they shout, the more desperate the restaurant is. The louder they shout about their deals, the more likely you are to get ripped off. Also, the more they shout about specific items at low prices and the more aggressive they are towards potential customers, you're more likely to get both ripped off both from a monetary and service point of view.

As I watched Mario tout, I noticed the following: he did not once specify an item or special deal. He was never aggressive, only charming. He made people smile even if they chose not to eat at the restaurant. He was confident about his product and that showed. He knew it was a numbers game and did not relentlessly pursue people as many touters do.

Although I was impressed by this approach, the real test was still to come. My meal arrived. I ordered a rib eye steak medium rare with a side salad. It came out medium to well done - the same as my friends orders. I immediately alerted Mario and sent it back. I'm always polite when I send food back because I understand that mistakes do happen especially on a busy night. However, back in England, I do receive a mixed reception on the rare occasions I've sent food back. Some get defensive and deny there's anything wrong with the food and others reluctantly replace the meal.

I do place great emphasis on how the staff deal with a dissatisfied customer. I have to say that Mario was an absolute gentleman. There was no fuss and he did not hesitate to replace my steak. When I received my steak, he asked me to cut through to check it was to my satisfaction. It was cooked to perfection and seasoned perfectly! During the wait for the second steak, he apologised several times as did his waiting staff.

When paying the bill, he apologised again and said he hoped he could make the experience better for me next time. I felt really cared for as a customer.

Mario is a true credit to his profession. He is genuinely kind and caring towards every customer and makes the experience at La Luna an absolute pleasure! Although I really dislike touting, I understand that in a tourist laden area like Leidseplein, it's a necessary evil. Mario's approach is definitely the right way to do it.

I'm not sure when I'll be back in Amsterdam. However, I will visit La Luna again and hopefully bump into Mario to thank him face to face for the wonderful service. Thank you very much!

Reviewed August 3, 2013

As a regular user of TripAdvisor I have been meaning to join and contribute for some time. Unfortunately in the end it took a terrible experience to make me take the time. I can only assume that they have been able to manipulate the system as this is an awful restaurant, in the most touristy location and isn't even good value. The menu is not really Argentinian, the food was poor, the coke had no fizz and the place is uninspiring in every way. We actually left depressed and both agreed it was one of oust dining experiences ever. Even the other places on the same street, whilst still very touristy, looked nicer and were significantly cheaper. Avoid!

1  Thank Paul M
Jfaiz, Owner at La Luna Steakhouse Grill, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Dear Sir

We are so sorry for your experience. Yesterday was the Gay Pride celebrations in Amsterdam and we were extremely busy and we let you down. This should not have influenced your visit with us but it did and we will learn from our mistakes.

Please except our sincere apologies and we do regret spoiling your dining experience.

If you would be kind enough to contact us via our email adress we can then make amends.

We do hope you will except our apologies.

Kind regards

Jennifer and Mario

Reviewed August 1, 2013

My wife and I decided to eat at La Luna the last evening we were in Amsterdam... And it was the best decision we made during our holydays! The food was excellent, (My wife got a steak with french fries and salat and I got beef on a stick with a bit of salat and french fries as well) but the best was the staff! they really took care of us, had fun with us and seem really to enjoy just beeing there for us! And it was not only us: we had the feeling that every single guest that was there this evening was special to them. Oh, by the way, I can warm recommand the argentinian wine as well: We tried a Shiraz, and believe me, it was just gorgious! So, if you want not only a great meal, but atmosfere as well, then La Luna is the place to look for!