“Great location - food quite nice, but too many mistakes” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2,772 of 3,377 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Italian, French, European
Dining options: Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Jordaan
Description: Gespot is an Italian/European Bar and Restaurant in a monumental setting which is both stylish and relaxed. Gespot is famous for its Rotisserie (whole Poussin Chicken), Italian Seafoof dishes and the after Dinner Scene. They combine serious cooking with an easy going attitude and value for money. Highly recommended by locals!
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
“Great location - food quite nice, but too many mistakes”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

We'd had a drink outside the bar next door the day before and the food coming out of Gespot looked great so we went there the next night for a meal.
We ordered some appetizers, a couple of the specials and they were quite helpful in offering a non menu item of a chicken dish four son which wasn't on the menu. We were asked if we wanted our appetisers ahead of the mains, which we did.
There was a bit of a wait and I was advised my choice of pork loin was no Ionger available. I chose something else but this was also not available so I ordered a steak. The food came out all at once and my wife's meal was not the salmon she ordered and the owner was also unable to say what it was either.After taking it back to the kitchen he was able to say it was a chicken caesar salad and that the salmon was finished. Too hungry to wait any longer we said we'd have it. My son's chicken never materialised but they did do him some bitterbollen - a dutch type of deep fried meatball - with very nice chips which they didn't charge fo and which he really enjoyed. All our food was pretty good, but the service whilst friendly, was not so good, with a number of mistakes.
I was also a bit irritated to learn later that my wife was charged for the more expensive dish she didn't order rather the one she did.
All in all a really nice place in a great location, food was quite good on the day but the service was chaotic with lots of mistakes..which was a shame.

1 Thank MichaelD1962

London, United Kingdom
“VERY EXPENSIVE for an average bar”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

The drinks in Gespot are among the most expensive in Amsterdam. 5 euros for their cheapest pint, and similar for house wine. Most people in Amsterdam are packpackers on a budget, and this is not the place I would suggest to have a good night out.

• Visited July 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The restaurant itself looks nice but service and food is terrible”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The service was terrible, the tuna was like catfood. We told them twice but they didn`t listen. It took an argument before they showed it in the kitchen.

• 1 of 5 stars
“Nice location, shame about the food and service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

As the location is wonderful, we decided to have a quick lunch there. We ordered two paninis as well as a a piece of apple cake. The apple cake never actually arrived at all, and the paninis were of the most basic sort, tasteless bread with mediocre mozzarella, tomato and no spices (and that €5,50!). The waitress did offer her apologies after we told her about the apple cake though.

London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unimpressed, expensive”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Visited this restaurant early on a Sunday evening. Location was nice by the canal, but we wanted to eat inside as all the canal-side tables were taken. We were told inside was closed so we ended up on a bench outside the restaurant door. Service was slow but staff were pleasant. My daughter had pasta which she said was just ok. I had a couple of small pieces of chicken which were the cheaper cuts and dried up. Unfortunately the chicken was accompanied by oven chips. The whole meal was tasteless. There was nothing to say how much drinks were and I ordered a small glass of wine, and my daughter had a coke. The bill was high, food mediocre and we felt ripped off. I compared the price with a more upmarket restaurant where we had eaten the night before and had an amazing meal and a bottle of wine for less money.

• Visited July 2013