“Avoid at all costs!”
Review of La Paella

La Paella
Reserve with
La Paella is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,059 of 3,858 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Red Light District (De Wallen)
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Avoid at all costs!”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Right, where to begin with this place! I'll try to make this brief, because if I really went to town and vented my spleen properly I would be here all day! The restaurant is in a great location just on the edges of the Red Light District, with lots of fast food outlets close by, therefore not offering any competition to any half decent restaurants in the area. The decor is quite good too, however there wasn't much atmosphere because the place wasn't even half full. The restaurant should have been rammed! It soon became evident why it was not. The waiting staff: not particulatly friendly, nor helpful..and they weren't even busy. We ordered two G&Ts, which when we added the bottled tonic to the gin, we couldn't taste any gin..at all. Strange that one. Okay now on to the tapas. How hard is it to turn out bad tapas? Pretty hard if you have all the basic ingredients and decent quality produce. Bland, tasteless, unimaginative in the extreme...I could go on. The only plus side to this was that the quantity provided was really small, but it's not supposed to work like that is it. Finally, price. Eye-wateringly expensive for what we had - €90. Two half litre caraffes of red and white wine, a mixed seasonal tapas (cold I think..can't fully remember) and 4 tapas off the menu (garlic prawns, croquettes, dried ham (not serrano!) and calamari.
Having worked in the restaurant industry for many years when younger, I have always been a generous tipper, even if the food wasn't that good but the service was. I don't think I've ever not left a tip in a restaurant, but I did this night.
I think this place has very regular passing trade and is resting on its laurels, having become very, very complacent. It could be such a good restaurant. The owners/managers should wake up to the themselves and get their act together because as i say, there's not that much proper restaurant competition in the area and certainly not many tapas/spanish restaurants.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Tony S

• Turkish first
.Wirral
“Wonderful food”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Had our evening meal here on two consecutive evenings my partner had the zarzuela both nights which was an amazing fish stew full of shellfish and large pieces of perfectly cooked fish, on the second evening I chose the paella which was a huge portion of rice fish and shell food although I wanted to I found it impossible to finish it!!! The staff were very friendly and attentive and the house wine complimented the food. Great value for money will definitely visit again on our next trip.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Lisa C
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
“Tapas in Amsterdam”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Authentic Spanish tapas in Amsterdam. The tortilla de patatas was particularly delicious. Estrella Damm on draught and Veterano brandy to follow.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Eugene T
Bologna
“tasty and kind”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Plenty of good food for a very reasonable price, not so common in Amsterdam. The service was kind and quick, a good experience.

• Visited August 2012
Austin, Texas
“Food for the soul.”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Our first night in Amsterdam, after a long flight, we were starved. Luck shined on us and lead us to La Paella. The restaurant was buzzing, the waiters were pleasant and helpful and the menu was extensive. Everything we tasted was terrific and next time I'm ordering the Paella. I saw it on several tables and it looked fabulous. Many of the items on the menu came with a warming tray so dinner stayed hot until the last bite.

• Visited October 2012