“Burgers Galore!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: De Pijp
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We were told about this little gem of a burger joint by a friend who lives in Amsterdam and were not disappointed. The burgers are cooked to perfection and the chips are scrumptious and homemade style. Limited seating but we were lucky to get a table on entry. Will defo be a regular snack stop!

There are newer reviews for The Butcher

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Went here for a quick snack and was treated to one of the best burgers we've ever eaten!
Informal place (don't expect a sit down meal) but food more than compensates.

Highly recommend the big daddy (I just about finished it)

Reviewed August 27, 2013

This was exactly what I needed for lunch and more! Great food, nice place, friendly service and very well priced

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Last week I had chance to eat my frist and really delicious burger in this place. It is situated in long bazar (market) street and there are many stands where you can buy everything. And The Butcher is just perfect stop where to eat fresh burger with tasteful fries.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I was recommended to eat here by a few local colleagues who said it was a great experience & Amsterdam's best burgers. I had some friends in town visiting, so I thought I'd give it a go.

We didn't sit at the front, which is more of a burger bar, but we reserved at the back in the 'secret' area where you can only access if you pre-book, the menu is not online, and you need a password to even enter the room. As you can imagine, we were quite excited...

The one thing I did mention in advance was that we had a vegetarian with us, which meant we needed to have non-meat options but because the menu was not advertised, we knew that they had a veggie burger on the walk-in menu.

The area itself was really cool & they've designed the space well, but it was quiet & lacked any real atmosphere but then we were told that it doesn't really get busy until post 11pm when invited guests come in for (over priced) cocktails.

As we sat down on very small tables, we asked for a veggie burger as one of our meals, but was told that there were none left. Obviously this wasn't good but there was a pasta & fish dish on the menu which my veggie friend had (although not her first choice).

The actual menu was very different to what I thought... but they did have a trio of burgers as their signature dish which the rest of us ordered. When the pasta dish came, it was luke warm so we asked for it to be sent back. At not one point did the waitress apoligise for the fact they had run out of veggie burgers, or that the pasta dish wasn't hot. She simply acted as if WE were in the wrong.

When the 3 burger dishes came, they were all verging on cold. We also had to wait 45min between starters and the burgers coming... and remember, there were only 4 other people eating in the place. Again, no real apology at all.

Needless to say, for the cost of the meal (2 courses = €25 without drink) we were bitterly disappointed.

BUT

Then when I asked for the bill, the manager came over and we chatted through the issues and he explained that he had only taken over 7 days ago & he was very disappointed to hear all the negative feedback and was very apologetic. When he offered us some free cocktails, I instead stated that I was disappointed to pay a €150 bill considering the above. He came back and gave us close to 50% off, which I wasn't expecting. He then continued to talk to us to invite us back, promising that he would action all of our feedback with immediate effect and he hoped that we'd give the place a second chance.

Usually in situations like this, I would never return, but the manor in which the manager dealt with us & the situation was professional, admirable & humble and for these reasons, I'll definitely go back to give it a second chance. He explained that if we were to go back in 4 weeks, things will be very different, and for some reason I trust him & will go back.

Overall very disappointing experience with the food/ service etc but we walked out a little inspired by the way we were dealt with.

1  Thank adamfield83