“Great food at a fair price.”
Review of Senses Restaurant

Senses Restaurant
Reserve with
Senses Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 3,805 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Description: Senses by Lars Bertelsen prepares unconventional and creative dishes, made with daily fresh and, if possible, sustainable ingredients. The kitchen team prepares your dishes in an open kitchen within the modern and stylish restaurant. Let your senses be stimulated and opt for the unexpected. Choose from the weekly alternating 3 to 6-course surprise menu and embark on your own voyage of discovery. Tell us what you do not like to avoid disappointment and of course our chef will take your special dietary wishes or allergies into account. Choose the wine pairing, to create the ultimate Senses experience. Located in the vibrant area of Amsterdam, 'Senses restaurant' is just minutes away from the Rembrandt square and the art deco Tuschinski cinema.
Sheerness, United Kingdom
“Great food at a fair price.”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This restaurant is one of the high points of the trip to Amsterdam. After a cold day touring the city it was really nice to go into the relaxed charming restaurant. The food is as good as any I have tasted and better than many others.

Try it.

• Visited March 2013

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Vejle, Denmark
“Amazing”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We chose the surprice menu (3 courses). And it did surprise us: very well prepared food splendidly arranged and tasting deliciously. And on top of it the price was very resonable so what more could you want!

• Visited February 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Loved the tasting menu with wine pairings”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I was staying in the hotel and just wanted a quiet and easily accessible meal without venturing outside on that snowy night, and Senses delivered. I chose the 3 course"blind" tasting menu with wine pairing and wasn't disappointed. The waitstaff was extremely attentive, friendly and knowledgeable. For the main dish there seemed to be a mix-up in what I received versus what I told the waitress I did not want (I wasn't in the mood for meat and said so) but did get a meat dish. They were very quick to offer to fix it but the dish itself looked delicious (and I wasn't adverse to meat dish for any dietary or personal reasons) so I decided to keep it. I only mention this point not as a negative point but to show that the staff was very quick to offer to fix the error.

For the first course, it was a roasted pumpkin creme fraiche w/ beets, goat cheese and arugula salad; paired with an Chilean Sauvignon Blanc. Main course was a (slow braised, I think) beef dish with winter berry glaze w/ pureed parsnips and potatoes. The beef melted in my mouth. It was paired with a nice Argentinian Malbec. Finally for dessert, it was a sampler plate of peanut butter & jelly cheesecake, a to-die-for chocolate lollipop and orange sherbert milkshake; paired with a Muscat. Overall, a very pleasurable food experience. I'd recommend it and return.

• Visited January 2013
Pennines
“Not for veggies”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

The menu looks so promising but the stench from the open kitchen of meat being cooked is dreadful. We had to move into the lobby of the hotel to eat as the smell was so bad.
I was assured the beetroot risotto was vegetarian, which maybe it was but virtually inedible. This is a dish that I love cooking (using Dennis Cotters recipe) and it should be a vibrant dish full of earthy flavours. This was full of cream , looked awful and tasteless. My husband who is pescetarian had scallops, again tasteless except for the meat juices that must have been already on the griddle. His main fish dish he said was ok but not good and certainly not worth the money.
I think even if you are a meat eater I would suggest you steer clear - there is plenty of choice in Amsterdam. My regret is we chose this one.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank Reebi
Albushotel, Owner at Senses Restaurant, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Hello precious guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback. I am very sorry to read that your dinner in Senses restaurant has not been to your satisfaction.

Senses restaurant is not a vegetarian restaurant, however we always like to spoil our vegetarian guests as much as our pescetarians and meat lovers. Our chef is always willing to make something special of the menu or adjust his dishes to your wishes. We consider our open kitchen as a benefit since our guests can see our chefs in action working on their meals. And most guests do like the fragances of freshly prepared food coming from the kitchen.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy our recipe nor presentation of beetroot risotto with parsnip and French toast of goat cheese. As you may have read in other reviews on this website, we are often complimented on the looks and taste of our dishes. Therefore I wish you had informed us about your disapointment during the evening so we could have changed it for something more to your liking. Nevertheless I am going to investigate what went wrong with your risotto.

We aim to let all our guest feel satisfied at the end of the evening and therefore I would like to contact you personally about a suitable solution. Please, e-mail me directly on Lisa@albushotel.com.

With kind regards,

Lisa Jurgens
Operations Manager
Estero, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tast it and love it”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We went with friends of ours with a "groupon offer" , had a 7 course tasting menu , one better then the other one, fresh ingredients, well cooked, not overcooked, crispy veggies.
Beside it also a very nice wine card with some biological wines on it.
And all this with a service which you do not find in to many restaurants.
We enjoyed the evening, were the last ones to leave and will definetely return there.

• Visited January 2013