Hotel Espresso
$219
$186
Orbitz.com
  • Room Service
All reviewsfree coffee and teatram stopfree wifiwalking distanceindonesian restaurantminute walkrooms are smallrecommend this hotellocation is greatairport busvending machinecentral stationcity centretriple roomnice staycleaning staffvan gogh museum
Reviewed June 3, 2013

A lovely little hotel situated just around the corner from Leidseplein, and in walking distance to many of the must see attractions in Amsterdam. The helpful staff always friendly and polite, and some of them with a great sense of humour. We never tried the breakfast but I guess it's good as well.Rooms were of good size and they were fresh and clean. I sincerely recommend this hotel to everyone and I will make this our regular hotel for future trips to Amsterdam.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Hotel Espresso is a boutique hotel, with small, clean, stylish rooms. We found the staff to be quite helpful and polite. We arrived very early (at the hotel about 6:15 am) and the staff checked us in and allowed us to begin breakfast early. The hotel is a short walk to museums and the Jordaan district. While the rooms are European-small, the lobby is quite comfortable for sitting and people-watching, and the free espresso drinks are a nice perq. The free wifi was also a big plus. We would stay again.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

The Hotel Espresso is a nice, clean hotel with small rooms - you get what you pay for. Sometimes however, you get a little bit more. Let me explain: on arriving in the breakfast area it was not clear what the drill was. Could I sit anywhere? Was it buffet or table service? After a quick scan of the room I saw the drinks dispensers and poured myself an orange juice then attempted to use the coffee machine. I could only see one type of cup so placed that below the nozzle and selected 'Latte'. This proved to be the wrong choice of drink/cup and the contents soon flowed over the top. Oh dear! Within seconds I was being berated by one of the breakfast staff who in a loud voice proceeded to tell me and the rest of the breakfast room how silly I was to choose the wrong cup - couldn't I see the glass ones on a higher shelf (marked as such is small type)? I was informed it wasn't his job to clear up my mess and his machine and I should get up earlier to avoid such sleep mishaps. It wasn't amusing and ruined my perception of this hotel.

So, you have been warned. If you don't mind off-hand, rude staff, then choose the Espresso (but not the Latte and cup!).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank The_Unlucky_Diner
Alex C, Manager at Hotel Espresso, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Dear guest, I asked the waiter what happened because I was surprised and did not recognise him the way you described his reaction. He explained to me that his intention was certainly not to embarrass you in any way. He has a kind of humor that not everyone understands. He wanted to react in a funny way by exaggeration. He offers his sincere apoligies to you because of this misunderstanding. I asked him to be more careful in the future.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed 3 nights and I was very pleased with my stay; it was a modern and clean hotel with a fab lobby/breakfast room and good sized rooms. The staff were friendly and helpful with checking in/out and buying 'skip the queue' tickets. The room was a nice size, it was basic but clean with comfy beds, a nice bathroom and a good sized wardrobe with a safe. There was also a desk, a hairdryer and a tv. The hotel was a few minutes walk to the vondelpark and to local restaurants, including the Hard Rock Cafe.

The only reason this hotel was given 4 out of 5 is because the details let the hotel down. Although several signals were available, the wifi signal was weak. The towels were a bit thin and the 'free toiletries' are actually a hand wash by the sink and a wall mounted combined body and hair wash in the shower. The tea and coffee making facilities was a small kettle, 2 mugs and an odd mixture of drinks hidden in the wardrobe!! Also, the breakfast seemed a bit pricey so I didn't even bother trying it - I found a bagel shop nearby and had a toasted and a hot drink for so much cheaper! All little details that could make the hotel much nicer, but wouldn't deter me from staying again.

Overall though I would stay here again and recommend this hotel to others. It's basic but modern and clean in a good location.

One tip: it's worth the €25-30 euros to get a taxi from the airport to the hotel. The trip took 15 minutes!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the tram noise or lobby if you're a light sleeper