“The Little touches turned my Birthday from a good one to a GREAT one!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sir Albert Hotel Amsterdam

Sir Albert Hotel Amsterdam
Ranked #24 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“The Little touches turned my Birthday from a good one to a GREAT one!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I work as a Concierge in a hotel in London (South Place Hotel), and after a successful first year, I know the standard I am now looking for when I travel abroad. My girlfriend pulled out all the stops in organising a trip away for my birthday to Amsterdam, and as I didn't know anything about it, it was all a surprise (one minute at work, the next on the plane!) On arrival, I took one look at the hotel and loved it.

South Place has 80 rooms and is a boutique hotel right in the city of London, and in Sir Albert, I saw many likenesses. Trendy Uniforms, Unique Art, and very modern rooms with mod cons and gadgets. I absolutely loved it from the moment I walked in. The staff from start to finish were very friendly (something which doesn't cost anything but instantly can make you love or hate a place), and the free Prosecco and balloons on my bed went down well to help me get into the swing of things.

Location is fantastic with easy tram rides (despite the fact we walked the whole time) to the main part of town, and all the museums are just a stones throw away. Even the fact that BBC and ITV channels are on the TV were a welcome bonus! Breakfast was superb, one of the best I have ever encountered when travelling abroad, and needless to stay, this hotel made me have one of the best birthdays I have ever had (although I do have to thank my girlfriend a lot for that too!)

Final things to mention is that we hired some bikes out on our last day (really nice bikes in good condition) which gave the hotel one more string to their bow. A few little niggles, The Blinds were quite hard to open (particularly the one my girlfriend had to climb onto the desk to close it!) and the key for the lift is a tad confusing, all in all though, nothing to lose points for! I don't mind the fact that it is connected to a few red light houses, as this is part of culture that you just have to embrace.

It was my first visit to Holland, and I loved it, the weather was perfect, the people are so friendly, and its one of the best eurotrips I've been on. I am returning to Amsterdam next year for a stag do, no doubt staying in a cheap hostel somewhere, but I may be tempted to pop back to Sir Albert for a night! The only thing that I liked more than Sir Albert when I was in Amsterdam was my girlfriend, as her kindness and love couldn’t be topped! Look forward to seeing you sometime again!

Room Tip: Get the breakfast inclusion, as the buffet is well worth it, and you can even have a hot add on to g...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Pauljacko1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Leatherhead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

The hotel is modern and trendy and in easy reach of many places. However there are some serious downsides also.
Positives - the initial welcome was excellent and the glass of Prosecco was a nice touch. The staff were polite and tried to be helpful. Deluxe room was good size for a city hotel but then I was staying alone. The bed was comfortable and clean. Free wifi and UK TV channels worked well. The shower was good and towels soft. Toiletries, robe and slippers all as you would expect in a deluxe room in a 4 star boutique hotel. I didn't eat there at all with the exception of one room service Burger meal. The food was fine but it took well over an hour to arrive. This starts the down sides.
Negatives - I was offered a free glass of wine to compensate and when I pointed out that I had already ordered one with my meal they sent it immediately and I had to wait a further 20 mins for my food. No further drink was offered, even though by then it was almost finished, and they charged me for it!! They also charged the full amount for the meal so no compensation at all!!! This is very inconsiderate and poor customer service. The coffee machine regularly leaked all over the side table dripping through the night. They wiped it up daily but never replaced it. The drinks ration is meagre with only one decent teabag and two coffee capsules - very poor if you are a couple.
The lighting was poor and difficult to work by. The biggest downside for me - and I would have given only one point if it had not been for the pleasant staff - is that it is right next door to several brothels with red lights and almost naked very young prostitutes girating in the windows. As a business woman on her own I'm clearly not the target market but the website should be honest about this. It was very uncomfortable walking past this at night on my way back to the hotel and again in the morning as the cleaners were 'servicing' the rooms and you could see right into the 'working' areas.
If you don't mind such a location and plan on eating elsewhere then consider this place.

Room Tip: My deluxe room was sizeable and at the back so very quiet
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank Arctophile28
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Located in the centre, just outside the hustle and bustle. Has very good service and works well at what i think it wants to be: a funky but welcoming hotel.
Service is very good and staff strive to be helpful. Both the restaurant downstairs and the room service are good.
The only issue is room size. I stayed in a normal room which was seriously small. You can upgrade at a relatively small cost (at least you could while i was there), but be warned classic rooms ar really only viable if you are on your own and, even then, quite cramped - if very well appointed.
Having said that, if you want a base which is central and has character (without costing a bomb) i would definitely recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ElBar72
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

While in Europe on business for several weeks I decided to spend a weekend in Amsterdam to see the newly renovated Rijksmuseum. I wanted to be close to the museums and the Sir Albert fit the bill. The hotel is a lovely boutique hotel. The rooms are "Europe small" but well thought out. The bed was comfortable with high quality sheets. There was an in room espresso machine. Upon check in a was provided a glass of wine and a detailed overview of the neighborhood. The staff queried what I was interested in and made fantastic recommendations. It was these small touches that made my stay memorable. The hotel restaurant is amazing and not to be missed. With nearby tram stops the location is convenient for all and ideal for those seeking to avoid the insanity of central Amsterdam.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank babuloki
Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Located next to the tram station leading to the Amsterdam main train station, it's conviniently located, the staff is very friendly, the rooms are not too big, but you don't spend your time there anyway.. :-)

Nicely decorated, would go there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

This hotel, on first appearances is one of style and sophistication however, after staying there for a few days we discovered that it was all very cosmetic. The staff had an air of arrogance about them and we didn't find them very friendly or welcoming at all. We stayed for three nights and our room was not serviced once. On the second day, we went to reception and asked them to make up our room and we got a "certainly sir" with a rather sarcastic smile. Needless to say, it was not made up. On the third and final day we had to ask again, this time making a point of demanding that it was done. We got clean towels and that was it! No cleaning, no emptying the rubbish bin, no making the bed...nothing! Would I stay here again? No, not even if they paid me!
Positives - great location, comfy bed and a fantastic Japanese restaurant!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
5 Thank aquaporin
Utrecht, the Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

This place is definitely an asset for Amsterdam, and especially for this area called 'de Pijp' ( which is great but still needed a good hotel). Despite everything being very hip and modern ( very, very nicely decorated), you don't feel out of place as the staff is lovely, warm and very professional. They do everything to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. Only the best materials are used ( sheets, pillows) etc. Yes, the rooms are not too big...but does it matter?? they are efficient, cosy and well designed. Lovely shower and all kinds of neat gadgets such as mobile lightning ( so no need to get out of bed to change the lights) and music from your iphone straight to the boombox.
Unfortunatley, we didn't have the chance to have dinner of breakfast this time...so I guess that is a good reason to come back!

Room Tip: Our room was facing the busy Amsterdam street but did seriously didn't matter! The rooms are rea...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple