“Depends on what you are looking for” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sir Albert Hotel Amsterdam

Sir Albert Hotel Amsterdam
Ranked #25 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
paris
“Depends on what you are looking for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed in Sir Albert during a week end in June. The hotel is a small trendy boutique hotel. The rooms and corridors are dark, minimalist style. There is a trendy lounge downstairs with a lot of ambiance in the week end. The hotel is in a nice neighborhood not very central though. The service is very bad. We ordered breakfast (yogourts, coffee, orange juin) and everything was delivered to us on a a tray with no plates, no spoons, no sugar, no napkins. The following day we decided to have breakfast in the restaurant and we got down 5 minutes before the end of the breakfast time. They gave us the bill and started cleaning up our table and the restaurant while we where still eating.... In sum, no sense of service whatsoever. I will not stay again in this hotel. Definitely not worth the price. The Sofitel is not much more expensive but is SO MUCH NICER.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank marjorie55

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is my first experience staying at the Sir Albert, a newish, swankish hotel just on the perifery of Amsterdams Central / canal district. The location is good, the historic building, beautifully resored and the enteriors, public spaces and the all important room experiece could not be more welcoming, luxurious and 'Zen-like' for regular business travellers like myself.

If you appreciate cutting edge design, contemporary, slick interiors with a difference, airy spacious rooms and big comfortable beds with quality ammenities, then this hotel is for you.

What I love the most:
- glossy black bathroom, toilets and wooden floors
- white linen privacy blinds
- mood lighting
- the IZAKAYA Japanese fusion restaurant & cocktail bar down stairs i.e. you dont need to leave the hotel for a wonderful culinary experience
- friendly upbeat staff

Room Tip: Higher up the quieter, though you can hear people above you walking around on the wooden floors...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Australia & London UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My dear Sir Albert,
thanks so much for an excellent weekend in your funky Amsterdam establishment.
Your reception staff are excellent and recommended and booked a lovely Indonesian rice table restaurant for us, taxis and other useful things.
We enjoyed eating at your own chichi restaurant and the breakfast included for our stay was outstanding as was the delightful Scottish waitress.
The room was perfectly pleasant, however the pillows were so big they were like sleeping on a small wall and after several requests we finally had them changed, really old boy such enormous pillows are quite silly.
We would definitely return to this diamond in Amsterdam, highly recommended in an interesting neighbourhood.
Yours faithfully,
Lady Runamok

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Helenish
MANCHESTER
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was our first visit to Amsterdam and although we were there for the European Street Dance Championships we also wanted to treat it like a mini break. Although not off to the best of starts when the luggage was left in Manchester when we arrived at the hotel we were able to check in to our rooms even though it was only mid-morning and we were given an upgrade. The receptionists were lovely and soon supplied us with dental kits and said if we needed anything else just to ask. We were escorted to the rooms & they were just like the photos the beds were so comfortable with really good quality bedding and duvets. One night we were late back &wanted a pizza from room service but it is only served between 11pm and 7am, the receptionist rang us back and said he would get one from across the road at the pizza restaurant ,10 minutes later he brought it up to the room and didn't even add a service charge on . All the staff without exception were friendly & helpful . I can't wait to go back to Amsterdam ,what a lovely clean city to be in where everybody is so friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Wokingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

I came to Amsterdam with my sister and shared a room here. First off the staff are top class. Really they are, and it makes a difference. The rooms are immaculate, have all the things you need, and the things in there are top class.

My only niggle is the bathroom facilities. We had a standard room and the toilet was a little cubicle, the shower was a separate cubicle and the sink was in the room, leaving no space for privacy in the bathroom. I personally hate brushing my teeth in front of people (don't know why) and with this config you must do it... But this would not put me off staying here again, I'd just book my own room.

The evening clientele to the bar are über pretentious, in every way possible right down to their grandiose super high heels. Which does mean the restaurant/bar must be great, unfortunately we could never get near it as it was so busy, but its not a big deal, as we're in Amsterdam, there is loads of choice.

All in all, i would recommend this hotel. Its worth the money.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bykergyal
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

As the blurb says, this is a new hotel, situated in an old diamond factory. Sombre on the outside, but with a sparkle waiting when you enter. Certainly the staff are amongst the friendliest and most enthusiastic I have ever met.
As the stay was longer than the usual short weekend break, we were given an upgrade to a room with a bath, adding a touch of luxury. Requests for softer pillows and the like were swiftly met with a minimum of fuss or intrusion.
Yes, the room is not generous in size, but perfectly adequate, unless you plan to spend lots of time there (the relaxing lobby lounge is a far better place to while away the time). I note a comment about hangers; mine would be the overall lack of hooks (none in the bathroom), which is a common failing of 'boutique' hotels (design over functionallity). However, the manager commented that there were still minor items to be added and that this was one of them.
The bed was very comfortable; the room quiet; selection of tea & coffee excellent and the basket of nibbles and goodies to purchase was the most comprehensive and unusual I have ever come across (do have a look).
The location is perfect for walking to the Albert street market plus the main museums, and a short easy journey by tram to the central station and attractions. All in all, an excellent stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EdinburghSky
Floridian in Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stayed here for only 1 night when travelling for business. The room was a standard - rather small (but doesn't bother me at all); bed very comfortable, bathroom was nice size. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Complimentary champagne on arrival, courtesy taxi call and very good follow up on my laptop's Wi-Fi challenges were very appreciated!! Nice TV station selection as well as numerous movies. And... power outlets near the bed!! YEA!! Downsides:...

The hallways are painted a very dark brown and have very dark carpeting. The stark lights from ceiling just create glare! I didn't like this "ambience" at all. It felt like a horror movie.

The bathroom has a overhead waterfall showerhead which is almost always awesome!! but... I don't wash my hair every evening and so... no way to take a shower! The tub was a decent size so I just did that - but it took longer.

The food service staff was friendly but ineffectual. I had to repeat my order numerous times. As in - 5 or 6 times. When it arrived, the main course was wrong! (I ate it anyway and it was tasty) I specifically asked for salt. They brought me salt - but shaker was completely empty. They charged about 7 euros for 100 grams of homemade vanilla ice cream. It was good - but not that good. No breakfast room service was available. bummer.

I do prefer this hotel over other near-downtown locations. I would stay again and be a pain the bum when ordering dinner.

Room Tip: near the elevator to avoid the horror movie hallway! :)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business